Honest Opinion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Hopes

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Currently i am working as a mobile therapist but i am finding myself getting more and more stressed out when having to lug all my stuff everywhere. For instance today i had a pedicure in the morning (products/towels/spa) then at lunchtime i had a facial (couch, products, towels, massiv bowl) then this evening i have had waxing (couch) Its alot to carry about and i am always panicking that i have forgotten this that and the other.
My parents have a spare bedroom, its right at the top of the stairs. How would you feel as a client coming into someone elses home for a treatment and having to go upstairs ? Possibly using there family bathroom.
Would you feel awkward?
Concerned that it wasnt private enough?
Too personal because it was a bedroom?

Theres obviously no bed in there just my couch and the house is very calm and peaceful. Just wondered what your thoughts on this were.

Thanks in advance

xxx

The lady that does my waxing had her treatment room in an upstairs bedroom before she moved house, and that was absolutely fine.

I sometimes go to a lady who uses her bedroom as her treatment room, and its lovely. She hasnt peronalised her bedroom to much, but I never feel awkward. If you have a spare room thats even better as you can set it up like a treatment room! Go for it!

I have a treatment room at home and offer treatments cheaper to clients that come to me but to be honest they are happy paying extra for me to go to them.
I totally understand how you feel though. It is so tiring lugging it all about!! I get fed up too. But it all seems worth it seeing the £ signs in my eyes ha ha xxx

In the past, I've used therapists who have home salons and I didn't mind.
So long as everything is at it would be in a salon i.e. nice decor, good hygiene, no cooking smells, no pets running around or children crying in the background etc etc, I don't see a problem.
Just make sure your bathroom is always fit to be seen though. Some clients (not unlike me) will be nosey and open your cupboards :smack:
I know a working-from-home therapist who leaves 15 mins between each appointment to avoid clients having to wait in her lounge. I think it's a nice touch to be met (and waved off) personally.
Good Luck.

oh good im really pleased its not a totally no go area. my parents house is in a really quiet road, no pets, only my sister who only occasionally has a tantrum :) always clean and tidy
starting to wonder why i ever moved out!!!

I have a treatment room at home and offer treatments cheaper to clients that come to me but to be honest they are happy paying extra for me to go to them.
I totally understand how you feel though. It is so tiring lugging it all about!! I get fed up too. But it all seems worth it seeing the £ signs in my eyes ha ha xxx

i was always fine with it but since i had my second baby its really awkward having to manouver around two car seats, plus i constantly find myself turning up with the odd random dummy in amongst my waxing kit :eek:
I just dont think im as organised as i used to be :)

Like some of the other posters, I used to visit a therapist whose room was a spare bedroom upstairs, totally kitted out as a salon and perfectly acceptable x

thank you for the feedback !
What about using the bathroom? Would it be acceptable to send them to the family bathroom if needed? Obviously i would need to make sure it was presentable

x

thank you for the feedback !
What about using the bathroom? Would it be acceptable to send them to the family bathroom if needed? Obviously i would need to make sure it was presentable

x

That's what I've always used when I've visited my therapist Sharon at her home salon for waxing etc (both at her old house and her new house) - as I regularly go for a full body wax lasting 2 and a half hours, I often need a loo break in the middle!

That's what I've always used when I've visited my therapist Sharon at her home salon for waxing etc (both at her old house and her new house) - as I regularly go for a full body wax lasting 2 and a half hours, I often need a loo break in the middle!

great! ok mind made up, now all i need to do is convince my clients to come to me !! :)

Thanks for all your help xx

I agree with the other posts, what you propose to do is absolutely fine. My therapist who does my waxing and facials etc has transformed one of her spare upstairs bedrooms and once she shuts the door you would think you were in a salon . . . certificates on the wall look professional and product displays help (things may also get bought lol). If you use a bedroom which is in use I think it ought to be as bland as it can be really. If there's something you wish to conceal try putting flowers or a plant in front of it . . . I work in my living room and a large tree-like plant stands in front of the TV when I'm working and you'd be surprised how many clients say "you haven't got a TV in here then"!I was mobile for the first 2 years and I know what you mean, it is exhausting lugging everything around, and I only do nails so not nearly so much stuff as you must have! I've been working from home for the last 4 years and it is so much less stressful, you won't regret it. I dreaded telling all my clients they had to come to me but, you know what, a lot of them were relieved to be able to come out away from husbands/children/telephones etc and much preferred it!Good luck. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine xx

Aye, Sharon's treatment rooms in both houses have her certificates on the wall, and advertisements for products and treatments (e.g. Susan Molyneux facials etc) and the walls of both treatment rooms were painted in a neutral olive green/khaki sort of colour. In terms of furniture, it's just things like the treatment couch, waxing kit stand etc, plus a book case with books on beauty, skin, etc, and a desk with a computer on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

You'd be best going for a wooden or tiled floor too rather than carpet for your treatment room - much more hygienic and easier to clean - if you do waxing, then drips of wax are bound to hit the floor at some point, no matter how careful you are!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hiya
I use my converted garage which suits clients just fine. They have to use my family bathroom and no one has ever complained or not been back! You might have to just check with the local council regarding business rates and to keep the neighbors sweet regarding parking etc.

I think it's all worth while though as you can set the atmosphere and no more lugging heavy equipment about!

Good Luck and post some pictures up, once you have it all set up.

Lorraine

I have a home salon in my smallest bedroom. Clients have access to the main bathroom which we don't use as there is only 2 of us and we have an en suite shower room.

My floor is industrial grade vinyl in a wood plank design (like they use in shops) and this is resistant to wheelie chairs. I have a plain wooden blind at the window and although the room is small my clients find it very relaxing.

You'd be best going for a wooden or tiled floor too rather than carpet for your treatment room - much more hygienic and easier to clean - if you do waxing, then drips of wax are bound to hit the floor at some point, no matter how careful you are!
Posted via Mobile Device

So very true. I have learnt the hard way!!!

PS a tip i found is to have some of that clear plastic matting that you sometimes see in offices. I have some which i place in between my wax pot and couch and then move under my nails station when doing that.
It protects carpet and still looks good.

My Salon in upstairs in a previous bedroom.

I also have a sink (not plumbed) that clients use to washhands etc. we made it by cutting a hole in a drawer unit and placing a nice stainless steel mixing bowel in it which i filled the bottom with glass beads. Looks very pretty and i just fill from a jug of water when needed and clean after client has left

And now i'll try to upload a pic!!!! ok tried i cant help?!

My Salon in upstairs in a previous bedroom.

I also have a sink (not plumbed) that clients use to washhands etc. we made it by cutting a hole in a drawer unit and placing a nice stainless steel mixing bowel in it which i filled the bottom with glass beads. Looks very pretty and i just fill from a jug of water when needed and clean after client has left

And now i'll try to upload a pic!!!! ok tried i cant help?!

i had troble uploading pics too , you do it through your profile, under albums. i dont think you can add pictures to threads unless your a premium geek?? might be wrong. . . .
sounds great though! i am quite lucky as the room has recently been decorated and the colour matches my price lists (all positives that i added to my speech when trying to convince my parents :) )

Im really looking forward to it and now starting to think about a new skin care range and retail items

xx

Having a home salon sounds way more appealing to me than mobile, which is how I am going have to start off initially as I do not have any spare rooms and I have 4 dogs as well so thats a definate no. The location of your parents house sounds ideal regarding privacy and noise levels. I would assume that parking is not an issue for clients too, if there are any neighbours though you may need to mention it too them beforehand. Also you will be able to do some retail as well to increase your profit/income.

Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on :hug:

anne xx

Latest posts

Back