How do you do your french polish??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what order do you apply your french polish in

• pink then 2 coats of white on the tip

Votes: 105 24.4%
  • white tip then pink over the top of the white

Votes: 302 70.2%
  • i never polish french just airbrush it on

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • i never polish french i hate it ... too fiddly for me!

Votes: 15 3.5%

• Total voters

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
i was just wondering ... how everyone does their french manicure polish....
i always apply my pink then i put the white on top ( as its stays its bright white
but i know many of you put the pink over the top of the white.... just thought id ask and im adding a poll too ;)

Jess
xox

ps... ive nt mentioned abt base or top coat in the poll due to the options being mega long then!...lol

i do my whites first cos thats more fiddly and if i mae a mess i can use nail fresh to neaten it up - then put the pink over the top. xx

I do two coats of white then a pink, but to be honest I rarely do painted french at all these days as most are P&W L&P.

Stickey base Coat
1 thin coat of Beaux (my favorite colour for French)
One coat of Creme Puff (or 2 if necessary but usually not)
1 thin coat of Beaux
Super Shiney Top Coat

This creates a smooth even surface which looks perfect.

I use:
stickey basecoat
cream puff
neglige
top coat x2
solar speed spray
If the clients werent so impatient Id use 2 coats of cream puff.

I am with you Jess, I always do my pink then white - either varnish or airbrush.

I have always done it this way. If you put the pink over the white is this not like pulling pink over your white when doing P&W enhancements.

I have never been tought how to paint a fench polish, but when i attempted to do my own, I did the white first then, a coat of pink on top!

It is a bit fiddly for me as my whites go all over the show!!! Arrgghh.

I do cream puff (2 coats if necessary) followed by neglige or beau and finished with top coat.

I prefer the white not being too stark and I like to give myself the option of tidying up.:lol:

I love French Manicures ... and doing them.

I do a base coat,
one layer of ridge filler if needed - for a perfect finish
one coat of a warm or cool pink (i hate peach french manicure - but then again its up to the client)
one layer of white on the tip
and super shiney top coat.

naturalnails said:
I am with you Jess, I always do my pink then white - either varnish or airbrush.

I have always done it this way. If you put the pink over the white is this not like pulling pink over your white when doing P&W enhancements.

see what you mean fiona, but i do the opposite, makes for a less 'tipex' look:lol:

I always use the white first only because I like the option to tidy the smile line before applying the pink.

Like Jac, I very rarely have to do a french manicure.....all p & w in gel or l&p.

geeg said:
Stickey base Coat
1 thin coat of Beaux (my favorite colour for French)
One coat of Creme Puff (or 2 if necessary but usually not)
1 thin coat of Beaux
Super Shiney Top Coat

This creates a smooth even surface which looks perfect.

Well mine was Stickey base coat
2 coats of Creme Puff
2 coats of Beaux
Super Shiney Top Coat....

Ummm.. I've just tried your way around geeg and you're right it does give a lovely finish. No ridge lol!! Thanks for the tip.

i don't do that many French polishes but when i do it's....

• basecoat of Stickey or ToughenUp
  • one coat of Cream Puff or Pointe Blanc, sometimes 2 coats
  • 2 coats of Beau, Negligee or Moonlight & Roses
  • Topcoat SuperShiney, Speedey or AirDry

i'm also one of those techs who isn't overly confident at doing the french finish hence why my white is applied first with my trusty bottle of Nailfresh closeby :wink2:
but... the finished nails always look nice :D Great thread Jess xx

scrubfresh stickey creme puff and super shiney i very rarely use a coulour o think it looks much nicer without.

the way i do french polish is to apply the white 1st as follows,

1 coat of base coat
2 thin coats of white
1 coat of pink
1 coat of top coat glosser.

I use Orly nail colours and think they're fab.

I love doing french polish, my clients are always so thrilled at how neat their nails look afterwards - get a kick out of that!!:)

i use a base coat of pink blush, nude or opaque white first, then paint my white tips (in a shade my client prefers) from north to south only ...... i don't go sideways (or visa versa, after all, i'm in Aus and we are upside down) using a standard polish brush which i fan between my fingers first and turn the clients finger as i'm turning corners, then finish with a sunscreen topcoat (which incorporates a polish dryer).
I always paint thumbs first and get the client to hold one level, while i'm painting the other thumb,(this makes sure my polish dries level on the thumbs before turning them sideways) then work from the pinkie in to finish the rest ...... hey it works for me, it can't hurt to try

naturalnails said:

i have to agree there.... why use a bright white then cover up the brightness?....lol.. if someone wants a softer french i tend to use a softer white :)

I do:

- Stickey base coat
- 2 coats negligee or beau, some clients like transparent touch or moonlight and roses
- 1 coat cream puff
- super shiney or heat dry top coat

I always used to avoid doing french polish cos I was frightened of doing them!!!

However so many of my clients asked for it that I had to take myself out of my comfort zone and just go for it - and without being able to neaten up the smile!!!

I still get slightly nervous when doing it but my clients AND me are very happy with the finished result :biggrin:

Sparklepink said:
i was just wondering ... how everyone does their french manicure polish....
i always apply my pink then i put the white on top ( as its stays its bright white
but i know many of you put the pink over the top of the white.... just thought id ask and im adding a poll too ;)

Jess
xox

ps... ive nt mentioned abt base or top coat in the poll due to the options being mega long then!...lol

i always did pink then white but may try white than pink:green:

I gently buff the shine from the nail, then apply my white and use a small brush dipped in acetone or polish remover to make a smile line. Then I either apply a soft pink or clear polish over top.

Latest posts

Back