How Do You Stay Informed (New techs Too)?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
Apart from training which of course we all need, I was just wondering how other techs and techs-in-training, stay abreast of whats going on in the industry.
Personally I subscribed to both Professional Nails And Scratch, just as soon as I heard about them, I go to as many shows as I can (well actaully I rarely miss one) to keep up to date on new products, see the comps etc, and of course I use this site to stay in touch with like minded techs.

Do you feel as if youre in the know? left behind? or couldnt you care less about the industry as a whole?
Are you a member of ANT? Do you feel the need to subscribe to industry publications? or do you prefer Heat magazine?
I guess Im interested because Id like to hear what areas outside of product and application, interest other techs and whether there are any topics you'd like to see discussed.
I hope some of the newer techs to the site/industry will share their opinions too.
Ta muchly!

Well Glo - I'm a relative newbie and....

I subscribe to Scratch and PN nails
Use the site
go on training courses
Go to the Monday mentoring at the OSNS - Leeds when they are on
Be a model as often as I can

The only thing I haven't done is go to the shows - but I am hoping to change that soon :green:

another great thread youre on a roll!!!!

personally, i subscribe to pn mag,
visit the geek site daily, to be honest i mainly listen and learn from more experienced technicians on this site,
as yet i havent atended a show, but would love to,
i get habia news and regulary log on to their website
i would hate it if i thought there was something new out there and i didnt know about it!!!
i would love it if there were more news and tips and tricks of the trade, techniques etc as well as industry greats with all the latest news!!!
sometimes it all gets bogged down with " other stuff!!!"

it would be great to hear from geeks on this especially new geeks like you said glo

Flippin heck Glo....you ARE on a roll aren't you????:lol: :lol:

I subscribe to Scratch, I try and Geek as often as I can and I go to the London shows. (Obviously education is up there as well).

I would hate to think that I wasn't up to date with what is going on in the industry. I thnk it was mentioned in another thread but I am not in this to make a fast buck ..... I am in it because I just love doing nails and I could not do this without 'keeping up' with what is going on in the nail world. Plus I feel I would be cheating the clients who come to me and pay good money to have their nails enhanced if I wasn't up to date.

OK, enough waffle, I think the whiskey and coke is kicking in now:o

this sight has given me soo much , made me do more training for a start!!
i do get sratch mag, but i've not joined NAT,
i'd like to think i'm upto date with whats going on, but always look to this sight to 'show me the way'
i'm going to be spending much of next year up dating my skills and hopefully learning many more, you ladies (and gents) have inspired me to learn and to keep update with what is going on in the nail world. i love going to shows, seeing everyone demoing is ace, and getting a bargin
i'd not thorght of modeling for someone as a way to keep 'up' but i guess you would always pick up hint and tips doing that (cheers snugglepuss!):green: :green:

Hi there,

I speak with my preferred suppliers regularly.
I view industry magazines when I go to stock up on supplies[Im there for hrs]
I liase & speak with other techs & therapists in the industry.
Attend shows - updates - seminars when possible.
Search the net.
Geek - Elite - Nails mag - Beautytech and many more websites that have brilliant resource.

XX J XX

I use this site, subscribe to scratch, talk to other techs. I would love to go to a show but at the moment its not possible because of the kiddies.:confused:

I am very new to the industry so not sure what is out there. I have learned from this site about shows so I am off to earls court on the 11th and through booking my ticket I have also suscribed to PN mag. Didn't know about scratch is it worth getting??

.A good thread.:) I too am a new tech, just starting out, and am always on the computer looking at any new nail info i can lay my hands on. I constantly read all the views on the Nail Geek site and have PN and Scratch subscriptions, and when these 2 mags get delivered i read them both from cover to cover. I am a member of BABTAC but may look to change that in Feb when my current subscription expires. Does anyone have any views on which is the best insurance company to go with or which they think helps them 100%.
I just want ot learn as much as possible to keep me on top of the profession.

I subscribe to scratch and hj,i use this site,fyi the best source of info imo,i will be off to gmex in october and booking myself on a course in september.I read lots of books and i am always pulling pics out of magazines of either nails i want to create and ones i certainley do not.

.A good thread.:) I too am a new tech, just starting out, and am always on the computer looking at any new nail info i can lay my hands on. I constantly read all the views on the Nail Geek site and have PN and Scratch subscriptions, and when these 2 mags get delivered i read them both from cover to cover. I am a member of BABTAC but may look to change that in Feb when my current subscription expires. Does anyone have any views on which is the best insurance company to go with or which they think helps them 100%.
I just want ot learn as much as possible to keep me on top of the profession.

Hi,

The International Nail Association (part of the Guild) offers £2 million Public, Product & Treatment liability cover with its membership. You also receive the Guild Gazette magazine, and can subscribe to any of 6 email bulletins, one of which is especially dedicated to nails.

If you want to know more about the INA, click here.

well i do the same as most of you.
i think its crucial to expose yourself to as much information as possible.
and from as many sources as possible too.

i love the geek site, but i also use 3 other sites too. i dont see them as competitors to this site, just sources of additional education.

i take courses too. but i dont stick with the one manufacturer, i think there is much to be learned from every educator. this year alone i have been educated by representatives of 4 different brands. in october i'm lucky enough to be attending the entity nail studio to have education with the prize winning american techs tom holcomb, tom bachik and alisha rimando.

i also like to soak up as much info from the u.s as i can and i have a subscription to an american nail mag and use an american forum too.
i recently purchased several chinese nail art books.

when i attend shows, i dont just visit the stands of the brands i use, i go to all of them, watching and asking about product ranges that i'm not familiar with and techniques i dont know or use.

i think its vital to keep your finger on the pulse in an industry that moves so fast. i like to know what all the companies are doing, not just the brand that i work with.

I think it is really important to keep up with everything going on in the Industry.

I also subscribe to Trade magazines....and I found this really helped...especially when I was starting out and working on my own. This was the day's before The Nail Geek....and it was very easy to become isolated...and just keep doing things the way you had always done them!!!!

Luckily I worked within travelling distance of the Glasgow OSNS...and I always went in person to buy my stock and get a chat with the girls and Educators there, which kept me up to date....and I was always updating my training......if there was a new course I would be on it!!!

I also was a member of ANT thinking this would keep me informed ....but sadly I did not feel I was getting anything from that and have not renewed in some years....I hope that that is something that could be resurrected ,as it were, and be used to give us a greater voice.

This site has really made a big, big difference to Tech's ...in that they can log on and find out all the news going on in the industry...read tutorials by the top people in the profession....and also have a laugh with other like minded people......

I am lucky that now it is actually part of my job to keep up to date and pass this on to students.......but everyone should do at least 1 training course per year to make sure they are still on track for success.

I subscribe to Scratch and PN.
Continue to train.
Use the site.
Visit as many shows as possible.
Buy new nail books that are published.
Recieve frequent updates about my products from my distributors.
Attend seminars whenever possible.

Buy new nail books that are published.
Recieve frequent updates about my products from my distributors.

Forgot to add those two in my list Judy - thanks for reminding me :lol:

Hi everyone

Im new to the site and nails in general. Ive just ordered the essential nail course and waiting for it to be delivered today. After looking through these posts I was wondering if anyone could explain to be what Scratch and PN.

Thanks

Tracy

Well, I subscribe to Nails Magazine, wish I could subscribe to Scratch, but a US subscription is waaaaay too much. I have never been to a show...would love to go to one though (again, finances :rolleyes: ) and I am a faithful, loyal member of this site. I have picked up so much from using this site over the past 2 years I have been a member, so I would have to say that this site is my nail technician's lifeline!!

Hi everyone

Im new to the site and nails in general. Ive just ordered the essential nail course and waiting for it to be delivered today. After looking through these posts I was wondering if anyone could explain to be what Scratch and PN.

Thanks

Tracy
Scratch and Professional Nails are nails mags that you can subscribe to.
hth

i subscribe to scratch and p.n
i frequent the habia website as well as recieve updated letters from them.
i attend at least 2 trade shows a year to watch the demo's of new products as well as chat to my educator.
i update my industry publications buy buying 2nd editions and new publications.
i use the the site VERY often and its great that its updates in the industry and training updates are published on the site.
i am not a member of ant at the moment, i used to be but didnt really seem to gain alot from it.
i attend as many seminars at the trade shows as i can.
i also take on board on this site the industry leaders and educators knowledge and advice.
i am unlso kept informed by the industry from my product companies regular newsletters

I subscribe to Scratch, PN and Nails Magazines.
Regularly spend time on this site and other nail and beauty related sites.
Constantly updating my skills with training.
I have a 'library' of informative manuals.
Visit one trade show per year.

Working on my own I think its vital to keep abreast of whats new in the industry so that I can keep my skills updated and product knowledge keen which benefits myself and my clients.

Latest posts

Back