How old is too old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjade

Reaction score
Hi all! I've wanted to do make up for years as a career but things got in the way as they usually do. Now I'm in a place where I can go off and actually train but my problem is this... By the time I qualify I'll be 27/28. Do you think thats too old to be starting a completely new career, esp when most people starting out are around 18? :cry:

Well I retrained in my early fourties!!!!
It hasnt held me back at all. My clients like the fact that I'm older.
For me I think having my own home salon helps, I don't think I could have gone into a town salon (and not sure that anyone would want to employ an oldie!!)
I think as long as you have the time and commitment to give to the course then it doesnt matter about your age.

Good luck

Heather

I dont think you are too old to ever do anything, im 26 and constantly training in new things i was 25 when i started in makeup and i love it. I have only been in beauty for the last few years before that i was cabin crew. dont let anything stop you reaching the goals you want anyway you have years of work left in you so do it!! :) xx

I hope it's not, I'm 36 and recently did my eyelash extension training and a few other things so I could run my own business as I had a baby at the end of last year and did not want to return to work in an office and put him in day care. I think it would be encouraging for older clients too, you don't have to stop wanting to look good once you hit 30!

Hi amyjade,

It sounds like this is something you really want to do in your life......so go for it!
If you don't give it a try, you will wish later on that you had and I think it is worse to have regrets than to go out and do everything in life you want to do. Now that you are a little older you have the choice and the want to learn.

I became a beauty therapist when I was 20, I thought at 26 that it might not be what I was meant to do for the rest of my life so I went and did an apprenticeship in a different industry (but still kept coming back to beauty therapy). After completing the apprenticeship I realised that beauty therapy was my calling and decided to open my own business, it was a scary choice at the time & I'm now 30. And as heatherp say's "my clients like the fact I'm older" is also true for me.

As I get older I have more courage to try new things and realise I will come out the other side with more knowledge and life experience.
Life is full of achievements!......good & not so good.
If you ever have any questions about things all the geeks here have great advice about everything.

Goodluck & all the best.

I was 38 lol........never too old for anything......Its all in the mindset x

ive always been creative and dreamed of becoming a mua when i was still at school, but my parents were very old fashioned and wanted me to work in an office, they told me applying makeup wasnt a way to earn a living:irked:
when i left school i fell into various office jobs and then worked in social care (still do part time) to fit around my daughters school etc
all the while i dreamed of what might have been, whilst quietly resenting my parents for stopping me following my dreams. my 20's and 30's came and went and i did nothing about my burning ambition - i just kept telling myself it was "too late" or that i was "too old" etc..
it wasnt until a couple of years ago when series of tragic events decended on myself and my family that i realised life was too short, and i decided to stop making excuses, took the bull by the horns and took the first steps to train as a mua
i hasnt been easy, but thats been mainly due to lack of funds - its been slow taking off, im still building up kit and portfolio, and im always learning new things, currently enhancing my skills by training in airbrush makeup
but i absolutely love what i do, i have managed to reduce the hours in my regular job and i feel the most wonderful sense of achievement
the only people who were negative about me retraining were so called friends (around the same age) who were not brave enough to really go for what they wanted, i did have a few catty comments but they're now sheepishly asking me to do their makeup for them for night out etc, :lol:
none of my clients have EVER commented on my age (im 40) in fact i think they're quite happy to have someone mature and with experience do their makeup, and im now on a roll .. ive now trained in manicure and nail art and offer kids pamper parties so starting to get lots of strings to my bow, lol
my only regret is not taking the plunge 10 or 15 years early, but i suppose better late than never !
go for it, if you're willing to learn and are young in attitude there's nothing stopping you ..

Last edited:
Hi iv just started college and just gone 32yrs.. its never to old to train. good luck

i joined this industry last year at the ripe old age of 39. you are never too old to learn hon. learning should be a lifelong thing and i am sure that your maturity will stand you in good stead for the future.

tigi

27 - wow thats ancient! :rolleyes: :hug:

I retrained as a therapist when I was 36. Personally I think the older you are the more you can relate to your clients and they like therapists who are a little older. No offence intended to young uns at all but just oging on what my clients tell me.

Go for it. If you don't do it now then you will only live to regret it.

Last edited:
I would have thought that your age would be an asset in that particular field.

totally agree with pure and persionista I was 26 when I re-trained and I think it definately helps having had a bit of"life experience"! If I had trained at 16 I wouldn't have a clue about how to talk to people from totally different backgrounds and ages but have got much more confidence now and i think- although it sounds bad to say -but you get that bit more respect from clients and they trust you more because they know you have gone back to train for a job you care about:rolleyes: o bit of a sunday blether but you know what I mean GO FOR IT it's worth it:hug:

Hi I agree with all the other posts i was 41 when i entered the beauty trade:!: go for it & good luck:)

You're never too old to do something you WANT to do. I was 32 when I went to cosmetology school. :)

Of course you are not too old.What you must remember in our industry is that you can never finish learning.

Oh yeah......you really shouldn't be going out during daylight now you're that old.....you'll frighten the wildlife.

WHAT???? Are you crazy woman? :) When you're 50, you'll kill to be in your twenties again.

Life is too short. Go and do whatever floats your boat and don't worry. Good luck. xxx:hug:

Cheers everyone. I feel a little silly for even asking now but after reading all the replies I'm going to call up the academy tomorrow at 9 on the dot to find out when the next course runs so thank you all :hug:

I'm 24 and just started training I'll be 27 when I finish then I want to start on the family side of things!! In my class there's a woman who is 46 your never too old to start doing something you love!

You're not dead until you're dead and if you're not dead you're alive... if you're alive then don't ever think that you can't do what you want to do with some determination and courage. At 27 or 28 you have more than 30 years left to work... would you rather spend that time doing something you enjoy or something you hate because you thought (at 27!!!!) that you were too old to try.

Good luck, follow your heart xx

Im 46 and just completed my HND in beauty Therapy in july(did NQ and then HNC first)

Latest posts

Back