How old were you when you decided to become a beauty therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tonicj

Hi everyone

Have been looking at the thread How old are you REALLY? and just wondered what age you all were when you decided to become Beauty Therapists. Did you have different careers before this and what made you change and how old were you when you made that change. Im 45 now, but I was 40 when I decided to go down the Beauty Route.

I started when I was 18 yrs old bur didn't stick it I was far more interested in partying lol so done sone dead bed jobs then when I was 23 decided enough was enough and started doing private courses and 3 years on I'm a full time self employed beauty therapist renting a beauty room and have never bn happier.



I was 25 im now 26.5 pretty new but ive always been in to it so ive took to it like a fish in water.AND LOVE IT Ive had 2 previous careers one i was a check in agent in an airprot and i i also worked as nusring assistant x

Im 30 and although i dont do nails full time, (im also a dental nurse 3 days a week) I have always loved experimenting with nails. I decided in january to do a nail course and i love it, i now do tanning aswell and im looking into waxing next. Its never too late to start learning something you love and trying to make a career out of it!
Its just a shame that im not allowed to make my own fingernails look nice, being a dental nurse, my fingernails have to be short, clean and free from varnish, but i still practice on my toes:lol:

At school I wanted to be a lorry driver or mechanic lol then when I was 18 I got the opportunity to train and become a nail tech and that was nearly 13 years ago and I ain't looked back since I love my job

7 years ago so that would have made me.......19 ha ha. I don't do beauty though as I was a qualified nurse when I trained.

I was 35! Customer services and Retail background. Self employed 10 years now and LOVE my job.kx

When I started working in a shop at the age of 13 I always knew I was going to work in a customer service environment, I have always had an interest in beauty and always wanted to own my own business, so at the age of 16 decided to enrol in an Nvq Beauty Therapy course. At the age of 21 I am still studying and working to ensure I am at the top of my game and I feel so lucky that I have chosen the right career path for myself because at 16 it is hard to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life:)

erm .. 40!
im 42 next week :(
worked in banking/stockbroking previously, then took various part time jobs locally when had my daughter 11 yrs ago .. trained in makeup and have done it on and off for few years, then took an interest in nails and other forms of beauty therapy but just never had funds/time to do something about it - then had cpl tragic events and just thought life's too short and embarked on my training, found out i was pg shortly after that so now have shiny new baby and brand new career ! still working part time to support us but my goal is to be fully self employed and hopefully with small premises by the time he starts nursery .. not too much pressure then, lol

Last edited:
I was 16 when I did my training but wasn't really committed to it. I had to do something at college, and my careers advisor said, "Sarah, you're sitting in your careers appointment painting your nails. I think we'll put you down to do the beauty course". I wasn't really listening to him, so signed the forms without thinking about it, but I don't regret it.

Hi everyone

Have been looking at the thread How old are you REALLY? and just wondered what age you all were when you decided to become Beauty Therapists. Did you have different careers before this and what made you change and how old were you when you made that change. Im 45 now, but I was 40 when I decided to go down the Beauty Route.

Think I may be the oldest so far!! Worked in Law until I had my children, became a stay at home Mum to my three boys. At the age of 47 decided it was about time I returned to work, but didn't want to go back to working in an office. So, had a bit of a mid life crisis.........and a wot shall I do when I grow up moment......... decided to retrain in Beauty Therapy and Massage. Four years on, now 51 and absolutely love my new career, working for myself from my home treatment room.

Like vitality I was 13 when I spent the summer working I'n my mums friends salon! It was then that I realised this is what I've always wanted to do! I trained 4 years later at 17! So 15 years later I still love it! Although have always found the salon environment to be a very bitchy place and much prefer being my own boss!

I decided at 16 that I wanted to do hair and beauty. Instead stayed on to do some A-levels, ended up in a dead end job that I hate. Paid my way through a night course NVQ in hairdressing. Did waxing last year at aged 25 and have my EE course booked in May. Hoping to sign up for the Beauty NVQ starting this september. Still in my much hated dead end job but it's currently paying for my courses. I do hair and waxing part time so keeping my hand in. One day want to be my own boss. The previous posts have just made me more determined by seeing how everyone has put that they love their jobs!! I want that to be me in the next few years! :hug:

I couldnt work due to terrible depression which started when I was 7!! (there was no reason for it, just a chemical inbalance i guess) but last august at 21 I watched a beauty programme and thought that i could do nails from home as my medication was making me feel a bit better. The next day I applied for a course. But i was always interested in nail art, i bought a nail art book when I was 9:lol: The nail industry has improved my health lol

I decided to go to college when was 33 to do a course on nails, total change on career for me as o have worked in care since I was 17!!! I still work part time In a care home & do nails & tanning in-between! Once my son is at school full time I can drop my shifts at the home & concentrate more on opening a home based salon

I was 25, am 26 now. I work around my office job in legal department up town and do lashes, nails and tanning evenings and weekends. Soon to start a part time nvq level 2 in beauty to increase my skills.

I was 21, am 23 now. Went to uni and decided after my degree that this was where my heart lay. Am just setting up my own place now, and am so excited!

Last year when I was 40 decided to stop dreaming and start doing :). I used to work on a cruise ship ( not nails but shore excursions) now I work full time in a travel agent and am going to work my backside off to work for myself. Nice to see that there are others around my age :)
Vicki xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I was 16 waiting for my GCSE results. I suffered from terrible acne since I was 9 and had really low self esteem and wanted to work in an environment where I could make people feel better about themselves. I passed all of my GCSE's, decided to stay on and do my A Levels... And dropped out at Christmas!! Lol. Absolutely hated it and just knew that beauty was my career.

Had to wait until the following September to enrol on a course so I was nearly 17. 5 years on I'm still studying, I've been self employed for a year and rent rooms in a hairdressers. I've never looked back and I LOVE my job. I think it's great that we can constantly be going on new courses and always learning something new!! :-D

Sorry for the essay lol xx

I did a travel agency course in college when I left school at 16 because I wanted to work in the leisure industry - something where people were happy but finished that when the course ended.

I've been working in a call centre for 7 years and for the last two years ive been I've doing nail art. Last may I decided to go for it and do the mani/pedi and nail technology course so waited until September. I was 25 when I enrolled.

x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back