How to rebalance correctly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish1234

Reaction score
Hi girls and guys, my VCTC training by my tutor being VERY patchy (I didn't even know what a smile line or rebalance was until I came here) means I havent actually been taught an awful lot, just applying and buffing clear tips and pink L&P on top, NNO's and infills. Now, my tutor has never mentioned anything about rebalancing nails.

Yesterday I've done some P&W sculpts on myself (practising those smile lines!). How often will I need to rebalance and what exactly is the correct technique?

:) Thank you x

Last edited:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/14905-forever-french-rebalance.html

HTHs xx

Although I would definately speak to your tutor about the quality of your training as this should have been covered xx

I hate to say it but very typical for the VTCT... many tutors don't 'do' nails so this is what you get. Then you have brilliant tutors at colleges like Wakefield (Danielle) and other fine ones around the county who invest in their skills all the time!!

But, to be good at 'teaching' nails... you have to 'love' doing them and many tutors are only 'doing' them because they have to!! Sad... but TRUE!

Trish I am so glad this site has helped you. That's excatly what we are here for! :!:

Hi girls and guys, my VCTC training by my tutor being VERY patchy (I didn't even know what a smile line or rebalance was until I came here) means I havent actually been taught an awful lot, just applying and buffing clear tips and pink L&P on top, NNO's and infills. Now, my tutor has never mentioned anything about rebalancing nails.

Yesterday I've done some P&W sculpts on myself (practising those smile lines!). How often will I need to rebalance and what exactly is the correct technique?

:) Thank you x

Aww hun I know exactly how you feel, the same thing happened to me when I trained. I didnt even know that a brush needed to be broken in till it was too late, not to mention everything else that I didnt know!

But you are in the right place now :) I dont post all that often, but I am always here, watching and learning.

Good luck for your future!!

xoxo

I had the same problem never was shown infill or anything!
My nails was popping off all over the place was going to give up many a time over the last 2 years because of this.
I then went Leeds CND in Oct and did a conversion course Brisa gel and hey presto my nails stay on i wounder why!!!
Iv just done my acrylic course and going CND in a few months hopefully to convert again to acrylic to be shown the prpoer way!

When i went to leeds i asked the tutor to show me how to build an apex as iv never done it it or been shown! I felt so stupid but i knew this was my popping off problem so i had to ask, the teacher was very understanding and showed me and now my nails stay on, i cant wait to know how to use acrylic the CND way.
Theres loads of help on here iv leant loads the only trouble is its addictive you will ever be off lol.

Good luck in the future! xx

hi Im sorry to hear that your college tutor wasnt that good.. You get some great tutors and alot off very bad ones. Most off the geeks on here will be happy to help with any question anyone had and are a great help. good luck x

can i just point out here.. that.. VTCT.. Ok if you are doing level 2 the crieteriadoes not require "pink and white" or rebalance"as such the level 2 .. you will be required to ..

1) apply a full set of tip an overlay using the system of choice ( 1 colour onlyif desired)
2) a full set of natural nail overlays
3) maintenance
4)a removal
5) a repair to the natural nail using the wrap system.

This is ALL that is required- the pre requiste is manicure/pedicure and health nad safety.. this course is merely an introduction to nail technology starting with the basics and covering great thorough theory..

I suggest to ppl wishing to take this course you CLARIFY with your tutor what the expectations will be.. there simply is not enough time or development of skill to delve into pink and whites and sculpts etc.. the reason being THAT IS THE NEXT COURSE- LEVEL 3 !!! and with that come pinks and whites, sculptured Land P scuptured gel ( brave very brave- i shuddered doing the demos!), coloured liquid and powder coloured gel, rebalances and correction work- nail biters, hooks, spoons etc.. dnt run before you can walk...

too many ppl are quick to criticize vtct nail tech , lordy im trying to make it better- i was trained by the best and i am passing on my knowledge the besti can but pllleeeeaaaassseeee ,,look long and hard into these courses. read the log books and the criteria range.. My training never stops- i would never claim to know it all in 2 terms.. level 2 is level 2 and level 3 is level 3.. beginners and advanced.. hope this clears it up slightly.. any questions on the courses feel free to ask.. :green:

Why not contact a couple of companies and ask about their courses and what they include. CND & EzFlow are the best (IMO) and they will be more than happy to talk to you and help get you onto a course where you can learn these invaluable skills xx

can i just point out here.. that.. VTCT.. Ok if you are doing level 2 the crieteriadoes not require "pink and white" or rebalance"as such the level 2 .. you will be required to ..

1) apply a full set of tip an overlay using the system of choice ( 1 colour onlyif desired)
2) a full set of natural nail overlays
3) maintenance
4)a removal
5) a repair to the natural nail using the wrap system.

This is ALL that is required- the pre requiste is manicure/pedicure and health nad safety.. this course is merely an introduction to nail technology starting with the basics and covering great thorough theory..

I suggest to ppl wishing to take this course you CLARIFY with your tutor what the expectations will be.. there simply is not enough time or development of skill to delve into pink and whites and sculpts etc.. the reason being THAT IS THE NEXT COURSE- LEVEL 3 !!! and with that come pinks and whites, sculptured Land P scuptured gel ( brave very brave- i shuddered doing the demos!), coloured liquid and powder coloured gel, rebalances and correction work- nail biters, hooks, spoons etc.. dnt run before you can walk...

too many ppl are quick to criticize vtct nail tech , lordy im trying to make it better- i was trained by the best and i am passing on my knowledge the besti can but pllleeeeaaaassseeee ,,look long and hard into these courses. read the log books and the criteria range.. My training never stops- i would never claim to know it all in 2 terms.. level 2 is level 2 and level 3 is level 3.. beginners and advanced.. hope this clears it up slightly.. any questions on the courses feel free to ask.. :green:

Thanks for everyone's help

I appreciate the course I'm on doesn't cover everything - though it is confusing when you are actually SUPPLIED in your kit with white powder, nail forms etc - why these were in the kit if they were not needed I don't know. I will go on to do the next level course and gain more knowledge - but when you don't even get shown what an apex is or how to even pick up L&P correctly I think MY training has to be honest been a bit of a let down

sorry but i have to disagree as stated in my post above.. it is simply not in the criteria for a basic level 2 .Level 3 yes.

hhmmm, I dont wish to be argumentative but I have to question this - how can you state that level 2 covers "maintenance" but then go on to say it doesnt cover rebalances? Surely regular rebalances are one of the fundamental principles of good maintenance? Also, to say that level 2 = basic and level 3 = advanced would imply that rebalances are covered under level 2 since the ability to rebalance is an essential skill, not an optional advanced technique.

Sorry but if I'd paid for this course and been told it covers maintenance then found out that it doesnt really, I would be a bit peeved.

Thanks for everyone's help

I appreciate the course I'm on doesn't cover everything - though it is confusing when you are actually SUPPLIED in your kit with white powder, nail forms etc - why these were in the kit if they were not needed I don't know. I will go on to do the next level course and gain more knowledge - but when you don't even get shown what an apex is or how to even pick up L&P correctly I think MY training has to be honest been a bit of a let down

Trish, although this might be an expensive option in the short term, it sounds like you might benefit from getting out of this course and finding another training provider. It will be worth it in the long run.

hhmmm, I dont wish to be argumentative but I have to question this - how can you state that level 2 covers "maintenance" but then go on to say it doesnt cover rebalances? Surely regular rebalances are one of the fundamental principles of good maintenance? Also, to say that level 2 = basic and level 3 = advanced would imply that rebalances are covered under level 2 since the ability to rebalance is an essential skill, not an optional advanced technique.

Sorry but if I'd paid for this course and been told it covers maintenance then found out that it doesnt really, I would be a bit peeved.

i see your point totally.. to me( as well as the criteria) a" rebalance" is .. rebalance is always the term i have associated with 2 colours purely because before i trained with creative i only knew it as.. INFIL( YIKES!)...maybe i shouldve said my other most hated word " INFILL" ( other being backfill)instead of maintenance... as we are merely repairing cracks, missing nails and uhhhummm infilling the growth area but yeahhh as a lecturer i DO acually show them how to build an apex and correctly position it... when im in a mega typin mood i will actually give ya the vtct definition- its really basic.. i cannot teach a rebalance on pink and whites cos im not teachin pink and white.( i will on one colour)but and to be honest im glad... i went home crying at my first effort at them - its the hardest thing you will ever come to master..Adult learners have enough to contend with and they are soooo much harder on themselves- sure i will show them how to and if they wish to go ahead they have my full support..

my honest advice after level 2 if your lecturer is poop... go private.. the level 2 qual will allow you to do conversions for reasonable prices with some great companies...They will show you some cracking smilelines!

:eek: im quite horrfied you were not shown how to pick up L&P properly.. i draw shapes on a piece of paper and you have to fill em in just to get used to control...

It blows my mind how different the education for our industry is from country to country, city to city, etc. The province I live in doesn't even teach l&p anymore. The schools tell their students that l&p is bad for your nails because they can't breathe and it is just not taught here. I am trying desperately to re-educate the techs here and have a huge list of people who want me to demonstrate how to use l&p. I am trying desperately to get myself into the schools to speak with the instructors/owners but they are not interested. How can a school call itself an educator when it teaches its students only a select few procedures?

I don't think I have ever been more frustrated in my life. I can't imagine paying $5000 to take a nail tech course and only learning to do gel nails. Where is the diversity in that? Not everyone is suited to gel nails - but here - thats all you get.

I'm currently doing my VTCT level 2 and I think its really good. my tutor, martine is excellent! she has gone over rebalancing, sculpting, p&W smile lines etc. the only thing is that is a quick course and is very rushed.
just need to keep on practicing!

CW
x

The only guidance I've had is my tutor will do a 10 minute demo on another student and then we just get on with it. I've seen her say a students nails are fine when I can still see tips with blend lines showing, acrylic too thick or too thin, the apex too flat or too raised or in the wrong place - as long as the acrylic seems smooth she says its fine

Thanks everyone for their help - I'm going to persevere as I only have about 5 weeks left and I've passed my first assessment. Then I think I'll do a conversion course and in the meantime practice, practice, practice.

I'm sorry but I have to say this. I shudder at some of the advice given to students in college. I am serious :eek:. Some of it is misguided and said through ignorance and given by people who have no clue on
1) how to create a perfect nail whether it be in pink & white or one colour overlay
2) how to do a re-balance
3) product knowledge - the ins and outs of every product they are using... so students understand perfectly what it is they are doing and WHY!

I am not discounting what Raquel had to say at all and I do understand that it depends on what level a student is at as to what they are taught, but I am saying what so many already know TO BE TRUE... that there are many tutors teaching the 'art of nail technology and hands-on' who don't know how to do nails... The really sad thing is... the students being taught, don't know that they are being taught by someone who DOESN'T know how to do nails!! :mad: They would assume (like most would) that since it is a 'tutor teaching in college' they should know what it is they are teaching and how to teach it perfectly!

Raquel who has been very honest and helpful here even said herself 'i cannot teach a re-balance on pink and whites cos im not teachin pink and white.( i will on one colour)but and to be honest im glad... i went home crying at my first effort at them - its the hardest thing you will ever come to master'

but it is in the STUDENTS BEST INTERESTS for tutors to master all skills if they are to give their students a REAL career in nails!!! :!::idea::!: Let's also not discount the amount of students who go to college to doss around and do as little as possible. Colleges have much bigger classes which is another challanging aspect!

Let me make this crystal clear!
I am not saying ALL tutors don't know their shtick... as I said at the beginning of this thread, I deal with some brilliant colleges and the tutors are marvellous and caring and are definitely up on their skills and knowledge and KEEP up-date training to maintain that! Why? Because they care and because the company they deal with cares enough to make sure that they are trained up in the products that they are using!

I don't mean to offend anyone though I know feathers may be ruffled; I have run schools since 1994 and there is no way that I would allow a beginner student to leave NOT KNOWING 1) how to do smile lines and how to re-balance. SMILE LINES ARE WHAT WE DO for-god-sake!!! :eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes: it is like a lawyer not knowing how to argue!! It is the BASICS that get better and better! If there is anyone calling themselves a professional and frequenting this site who DOES NOT know how to do smile lines... please leave or LEARN YOUR TRADE!!!

If the C.N.A. schools can graduate students who can do the basics and more and with SKILL... why can't colleges? I know I have ranted and I am sorry to those I have pi**ed-off but someone damn well had to say something! :!:

" this qualifi cation provides a base for accessing the level 3nvq in beauty therapy unit bt22 enhance the apearance of natural nails using artificial nail systems and unit bt23 maintain repair and enhance artificial nail structures.".... so say VTCT.. this course level 2.. is merely an ACCESS course to doing nails so NOOOOOOOO i WONNNTTTT teach you pink and white on a manicure or health and safety and nail tech basics- theres NOOO TIME!!!! and if i did- theres no point doing NVQ 3 is there????
OF COURSE i will show you Pink and white etc i will teach you what i know.. but er.. would you expect to come out with A level spanish if you enroled on a conversational spanish course??? Has anyone considered the course is being wrongly sold to prospective students?
when i said " i cannot teach a rebalnce on pink and white" does not mean i am not able to..i was trained by some outstanding world champions, i do nails myself approx 50 hours a week and have just had nails used in a programme on ITV and ALL that knowledge is passed onto my students who make me proud- this is the route i have chosen to take in my industry to ATTEMPT to make a difference- not private training ( althou nothing wrong with that) or painting some models nails to strutt down a superficial catwalk- PUBLIC EDUCATION - and the more times GOOD nail techs step up and do this - THEN a difference will be made.. i cannot do this alone.. sorry if I ruffle any feathers..thank you..

Raquel you are speaking to the wrong people, we KNOW!!!!

It's the people who are responsible for writing the VTCT curriculum that are to blame surely? There simply shouldn't be a level 2 & 3. It should be one course, teaching it all, full stop.

It is very difficult to make a difference when you have to conform to rules you simply don't agree with. Curriculums have to be followed.

I don't know any nail technician who does know it all, has received the kind of training that a company like CND provides, who could go into a college and teach VTCT level 2 students and be happy sending them away to work on the general public.

So... when you tell me to 'go do the 5 years training and make a difference', I CANT CAN I????????

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back