I dread French manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronzed Bodies

Reaction score
Evening fellow geeks!!!!!! Can somebody please help me!!!!

i have been doing beauty for just over a year now and love it but my worst thing i dread doin and avoid at all lenghts is a french polish:cry: i cannot seem to get an even and tidy smile line - and its really starting to get to me, does anybody have a miracle for me?? or can anyone tell me how thhey do there perfect frenchie!!!! If not i am lookingg for a 1-2-1 in the essex area to show me and teach me so i can jump this hurdle.

Hope someone can help :lol:

Thanks in advance

Bronzed Bodies

The secret to a french is practice,practice,practice.It's the only way as is doing a really good polish in any colour.

When doing the white swipe from left to middle then stop and go from right to middle.Dont try to do all in one go.Make sure your polish is not too gloopy.Once you have finished all whites check to see if they are all even.If not then redo any white areas that are needed..

Above all remember there is NO magic cure.It really is down to practicing.Do anyone that will let you practice.Once done,remove polish and start again and again and again,It WILL soon all fall into place.

There are tips like using a smaller brush for smile line(white)or using nail polish remover on brush,cocktail sticks,etc to tidy up white but believe me the only way to get good is practice.

:hug:

HTH

This thread makes me chuckle,I used to hate doing french manicures, untill last year I done 7 in a row for a wedding, I think I got over it by the end of then..:lol:.Its dark red polish I hate now.:rolleyes:

When you dread doing something, you put yourself in the "I can't do this" frame of mind.... get some CND Nailfresh, best thing since sliced bread, and a nice brush....

I found resting my right hand or left hand if you are left handed on the desk helps, just like when you write, you wouldn't write with your hand not resting on the desk, try it and see how your handwriting becomes wobbly and uncontrolled with your hand up in the air, doing it this way gives you brush control....
Nail fresh melts away the mistakes or little wobbles and will help you tidy up and perfect your smile line.... the key is: practice like said before.
You can also use this to tidy up the cuticle area after a red polish..... simplezzzzzzz

HTH

Orly do a great french manicure polish - Pointe Blanche - lovely thin brush perfect for applying a french finish!:hug:

I ditto what Nailsinlondon says use a brush and 'wipe it out' you can also use acetone if you don't have Nailfresh. x

Everyone's way of doing the french white is different. I prefer to do it on one sweeping motion. Find what is comfortable to you and just keep practicing. I dreaded french's too until I found Essie's Marshmallow for the white. Now, I look forward to do them. Keep practicing and you'll get there. Best of luck to you! :)

I was rubbish at French Manicure but then I discovered this site and now have bought an eyeshadow brush that I dip in Scrubfresh or Nailfresh as mentioned above and it is amazing for correcting those smiles! :green:
I now dread dark colour nail polishes, did my own toe nails last night with a new CND colour and it took AGES!
Gail
:hug:

i agree with orly brush, lovely and thin. For short nails just sweep brush over free edge and dont worry about the skin and the polish going on it. Justswipe over with a nail wipe soaked in nail polish remover or scrub fresh. Practise on old nail tips.

As some have already mentioned their steps I do a little of this and little of that of what they said. I swipe from one side to middle, stop and do the other side. Two things are key for me in doing this. My little pinky is braced on my opposite hand which gives me balance. I swipe across slowly which gives me control and lets the brush do the work. I always start out with a little bit of polish because it is easier to go over it again than dealing with too much polish and it running everywhere. If I need to do a second coat I will go from smile line to free edge. This really smooths out the polish. Then if needed I use a cheap rounded gel brush, dipped in acetone, to run along the smile line to make corrections. But I feel that the best of all these steps is to move slowly. Makes for a good crisp smile line. And like it was mentioned practice and learn to love them!! :)

I have panic attacks everytime I hear that I have a manicure until they have picked their nail colour, I dread french and dark colours.

Now I feel bad going to ask for a dark colour when I get my nails done.

I have panic attacks everytime I hear that I have a manicure until they have picked their nail colour, I dread french and dark colours.
Same here, I have no problems with dark colours, but dread french, ok with smile lines but the white looks patchy and if I try to correct it they end up to thick..xx

Same here, I have no problems with dark colours, but dread french, ok with smile lines but the white looks patchy and if I try to correct it they end up to thick..xx

LOL...and I DREAD dark colors. OMG...I could weep when someone picks a dark polish. It takes me FOREVER to polish with dark! :eek:

I used to dread french but now I really like them........

Small tidy brush & nailfresh.....easy peasy ..... well ok not peasy but easier x

I like OPI they have good brush & there polish is excellent and it makes a big diffence when you have that. I used one long swep across the nail . Put the brush onto the starter postion instead of moving the brush along the nail. move the nail along the brush ? If that make sense.

OH yes, I forgot to mention that. Moving the nail makes it easier. Thanks for mentioning that.:)

Thanks for getting back to me every1 it is much appreciated - when using the gel brush to perfect the line do i go round the smile or brush backwards towards the cuticle?? also te nail corrector pen seems a great way to perfect the line- il try both and see how i get on il let youu all know:lol:

bronzed bodies

NAILFRESH!!!! I'm done :) hee hee

:eek: Hi everyone,

Could I just please ask if Nail Fresh is the same as Scrub Fresh, and can it be used for tidying up smile lines when doing a french manicure.

Thanks,

Karen

:eek: Hi everyone,

Could I just please ask if Nail Fresh is the same as Scrub Fresh, and can it be used for tidying up smile lines when doing a french manicure.

Thanks,

Karen

Nail Fresh is a different product to ScrubFresh and is better for the job of detailing as it evaporates so fast. It evaporates before it can penetrate base coat etc. It just whisks away any imperfections and is like magic to work with.

It is also the perfect 'squeak' before nail polish application on natural nails to remove all traces of oil or contaminants ... polish lasts MUCH longer when you use Nail Fresh.

Latest posts

Back