I need to know I'm saying the right thing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
I've kinda upset myself tonight, I love giving advice, but often I feel I (and others) are being taken for a ride.

Apparent techs sneak under the radar and ask way too many really basic questions.

I have just posted this in another forum and I need to "feel" some support from those I consider my "peers". YOU LOT :)

I get it on youtube daily (that's my fault for doing what I do), but sometimes I doubt my "showing" as I'm afraid I am "teaching", when that's reallly not up to me (unless it's face to face).

Anyways here is my reply to a tech that is basically teaching herself (along with a crappy course).

I really think you should have some backup service from the person/place you bought your course from, I'm all for giving advice, but really you should be able to ask questions of the person you have paid your money to, otherwise, you are learning more stuff for free (from me and others) than what you have paid for, in my eyes that's a rip off, it's also somewhere that I have to draw the line in the sand. I don't want to be responsible for teaching people that are not related to me directly (I vet these kind of things on Youtube on a daily basis), I'm not being harsh, but your tutor, educator or course manager should be available to give you advice when needed.

Online forums are for hints and help, not a source for absolute training, I would hate to think my videos are being used so people can teach themselves (to eventually compete with those that have undertaken a reliable source of training), hence my apprehension in answering every question and answering in riddles (I do this on Youtube daily).

Your geographical location is a shame, but I know techs in Alice Spings and other isolated locations that have taken a better course of action to become a respected Nail Technician. Sacrifices have to be made, otherwise being a Nailtech will just be one of those things you do when you can't do anything else, (a cheap alternate to a career), yes, thats what many think of us Nail Techs, it reflects on everyone that takes the industry seriously and only solidifies the snide laughs and jaunts when a person is asked what they do for a living.

Think of me what you like, but I am merely protecting myself and fellow technicians reputations that have spent many hours, many years and many dollars becoming what we are today.

It's spot on IMO. You state your case in a really thoughtful way. You've offered advice and justified your comments and I don't see how anyone can take offense (unless they are trying to learn under the radar).

I think your reply is well-worded and perfectly fair, don't upset yourself :hug:

Well I think what you have said should be appluaded! You are absolutely right.

I had a call once from a young lady wanting to come and have her nails done and would I mind her taking notes so that she could do them on herself in future with 'stuff' she had bought from eBay!!! :eek: Needless to say I turned her down sharpish. :rolleyes:

Nothing can replace good quality education and I can't really add anything else to what you have said Carl because you've said it all. Just make sure you don't start doubting yourself.

I for one Carl appreciate all the work that you do to help educate us professional nail techs and I find your videos immensly useful. In fact they are usually first port of call if I am unsure, like for example at college I am doing sculpting and the teacher hasn't really shown us anything. Yes its a college course :eek:. luckily I am also CND trained, I only did the level 3 cos I want to teach. So this week I have been watching your sculpting videos in particular, as my first sculpts I was very unhappy with them the C curve was all wrong, it was too flat, even though my teacher said they were good, I knew better.

However, I can understand how you would feel as though your knowledge is taken being advantage off, and maybe some techs out there may think that you are allowing non professionals access though your videos. BUT I highly suspect there are far more genuine techs out there who like me think your videos are a godsend. so

Thank you :hug: :hug:

and whenever someone asks for advice and you are unsure of whether they are genuine you should deal with it as you see fit, you have earned that right and you have nothing to feel negative about.

anne xx

ps I am loving the look of your Avolve system it looks beautiful!

Last edited:
It's spot on IMO. You state your case in a really thoughtful way. You've offered advice and justified your comments and I don't see how anyone can take offense (unless they are trying to learn under the radar).

I think your reply is well-worded and perfectly fair, don't upset yourself :hug:

As a student myself (very nearly finished) , I wouldn't take offence to this, as I think it is worded in a nice way too, if anyone does take offence then I think they want something for nothing iynwim :hug:

Hi Carl, yes you are so right. I too have seen many newbies asking / sneaking in questions for their exams etc. You help in so many areas and spend so many hours with your work on You Tube, but I still see the questions being asked.

You are indeed showing and answering many important questions etc, but at the same time, you are being taken for granted.

we spend lots of time, money, to get where we are, we continue to take / learn/pay for more up to date training sessions, and these people need to relise this and yes they should be asking their teacher/educator etc..

You are an inspiration to us all. don't be to harsh on yourself.

I think you answered the question with such professionalism, and if they can't take it, well tough. We like to help, not to be used.

:):):) take care

Very professional, very honest response. Ya did good! :hug:

I would not be offended with a reply like that at all - I think it was worded very kindly and honestly. Sometimes their are big gaps in courses and education which have to be made up from pure hard work and sourcing the knowledge required which I know is not alway fair or right either, but it does happen.

I have spent thousands on education over the last ten years trying to make an honest respectable living in the beauty industry to reach a standard where I feel I can hold my head up high and justify my place in this industry.

I sadly have to say to be honest, I have learnt more from the kindness of other professionals who are very giving and willing to share their years of experience and knowledge on forums like this than from most of my educators; but that should never be a replacement for education and if it is the very basics knowledge and information that someone is missing then they need to pay and spend the hours necessary to retrain like the rest of do untill we feel satisfied with out qualifications. xxx

Hi,
Well said, no one should be offended in any way with what you have said. I fully agree with you.
Whenever I needed guidence my educators were there at anytime I needed them.
Love your videos.
x :hug: :hug: x

The reply's perfect Carl - just the right balance.

Since this is exactly what I thought when I read it I will just quote you Vetty and say ditto! with some emphasis on the well worded and perfectly fair.

I think you have replied very honestly like a true professional with tact and diplomacy.

No need to feel guilty. Hopefully the person concerned will take your comments on board and perhaps invest in proper training.:)

feeling better yet.....? you should be cos you have acted with professionalism and we all agree that it was very well worded. x

Absolutely spot on! Well said xx

Couldn't have put it better myself.............perfect IMO :)

I think your answer is great Carl and spot on,
i echo what everyone else has said and if we had a
"round of applause smiley"
i would be using it for your answer,
but you will have to make do with a :hug: instead.

I too agree with the other comments that you have replied with honesty & fairness and already provide advice & help both visual & written which is appreciated by many tech`s worldwide including myself dont feel bad Carl. xxxx

Totally my sentiments too.

I think that it was worded perfectly fine, obviously much better than mine ever where.

Hi Carl,

Perfect in every way. I too get heaps of questions from people here in NZ (which is not as "advanced" as say the US or Oz in terms of availability of training/product) and wonder to myself WTH??. I've got to the point where I refer them to one of the training facilities here.....Creative in Nelson or NZ Nail Academy or EZ Flow up north.

Sadly though, there are a lot of naff training "courses" at least here in NZ and it pisses me off (and a whole discussion has been had with other NZ techs about this) that what passes for "training" in some of these places.

Again, its a matter of education, not only of the public but of techs, and wanna be techs - you get what you pay for. Anyway, off my soapbox.

The response was brilliant. Good on you!

Nancy :)

Latest posts

Back