Is £10 too cheap?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
For a spray tan?

Just wondered what your thoughts were?

Thanks!

It depends on what your competition is charging. You need to do some analysis and pitch yourself somewhere in the middle. Don't, whatever you do, sell yourself short!

I drove past a local salon and they had a sign in the window for £10 using A-tan I am not sure if this is a solution lol or if they were describing the tan. Personally I charge £20 for my tans and wont be knocking the price down!:)

It really depends on where you live and your competition. I charged £17.50 for mine and rarely did any. I put the price down to £12.50 and i do about 40-50 a month now.:)

Hi Hun,
It sounds way too cheap for me.
I do mine between £15 - £25. £15 is when on special and they come to me, £20 on special and I go mobile to them.
Normal price for mine: my home salon £20 mobile £25.
I do special rate for spray tan parties etc.
If you are too cheap, clients may think you are no good or using cheap products..........don't uder sell yourself, and you need to make some profit.
Hope this helps.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

I think it is way too cheap if you are providing a quality tan,
i went past a salon in Bradford town centre today who were advertising spray tans for £10 and instantly said to my friend
"what are they using gravy powder lol"
99% of clients realise you get what you pay for now a days :green:

I agree, too cheap!

Just because you're cheap it doesn't mean you're no good. I've always wanted people to be able to afford spray tans and to try and steer them away from sunbeds. I hope that if people can get a tan at a decent price then it will stop some of them using sunbeds. I want spray tans to be affordable to everyone. I would not pay £25 for a spray tan so i wouldn't expext my customers to.
I still make over a tenner profit per tan for something that takes me 15 min. Yes i may have to do more clients to get the same profits but i've more customers who will book in for other treatments as well, and i have twice as many walking adverts who tell their friends.
The idea of spending £25 for a tan that lasts 7 days to me personally is extortionate and I want everyone to be happy.
People charge £30 for a set of nails that say takes them an hour and a half. That's about £25 an hour before you take your product cost off.
I can easily do 4 spray tans in an hour and if i was charging £25 a tan then that would be £100 an hour. So, ok with my prices it would work out at £50 an hour and that's absolutely fine by me!

That sounds way too cheap. I don't know if you are mobile or salon based?
At the end of the day you are selling your service as well as your spray tans. It's your time you are charging for too. I have just put my prices up to £25 and have loads of clients. I would much rather do 4 people earning £100 than 10. You also have to take into consideration wear and tear of your machine huni.
You could do an offer of £15 for the first one. I also encourage my clients to bring a friend and the client gets their tan for £15. It has worked a treat!
Good luck in what you decide xxx

This is a hard one and only you can really decide as it is dependant on many things.
1) are you busy at the £20 you are charging..if so don't reduce.
2) if your business is being hit by local competition that is charging far less you may need to respond.

Its very easy to drop prices and very hard to put them back up...although a special offer for the month of xxx can work.

You do need to somehow show that you are representing good value for money try and look at ways of keeping to the £20 but somehow offer something that you can offer which actually doesn't really cost you anything and that if works introduces more potential customers into your business.
I.E £20 a tan but book and pay for two treatments and get xxx off..this way you get paid up front for something you actually haven't done yet..the customer feels that they are getting something cheaper if they pre book...enables you to plan your diary easier also.

Also introduce
1) if your mobile get the host to arrange for a friend to have a tan also and you will do the host for say £10..she gets it half price and you earn £30 instead of £20...most of your time when visiting customers is getting there,setting up and dismantling so to do 1 more only takes you another 15mins

2) generally introduce a friend and get x off works well..maybe even say that if you introduce 5 friends you get xxx number of tans free..or some retail items that they then might continue buying from you.

If 2 customer introduces say 3 friends who in turn introduce only 1 friend each that's a total of 12 new customers :idea:

Sounds like they might not be doing so good if they have such a cheap price and have to display it in the window. I looked up the prices of all my competition and determined how much each tan would cost me in products, time, etc to come up with my price.

That sounds way too cheap. I don't know if you are mobile or salon based?
At the end of the day you are selling your service as well as your spray tans. It's your time you are charging for too. I have just put my prices up to £25 and have loads of clients. I would much rather do 4 people earning £100 than 10. You also have to take into consideration wear and tear of your machine huni.
You could do an offer of £15 for the first one. I also encourage my clients to bring a friend and the client gets their tan for £15. It has worked a treat!
Good luck in what you decide xxx

Hi

Absolutely agree with this - to quote Geeg "work smarter, not harder!"

I lower my tans to £15.00 if there are 6 people wanting a tan, otherwise it's £25.00. I also charge extrea for mileage over 10 miles.

Don't sell yourself cheap. If you are using top quality products, people will pay a top price.:hug:

100% agree with you both! I charge 20 pounds mobile for one person, gets cheaper the more people there are, down to 15 sometimes.

I am always busy, people dont mind paying for a spray tan, especially when I drive to them and do it in their own home, means they dont have to go out to get it done and they can it down after work when a lot of salons would be closed anyway.

I dont think we should lower our prices to stop people using sunbeds, that is a personal choice, and to get the equivalent colour with sunbeds would probably end up costing you at least 20 pounds anyway - PLUS the risk of getting skin cancer, ageing skin, sunburn etc etc... If they decide to use sunbeds knowing all these things then that is up to them, I wont lower my prices just to try to convince them that my service is better for them, if anything they should be paying more due to the fact that there is no health risk shouldnt they?

How many nail techs do you know that would charge half the amount of the NSS just so people didnt go to them? Of course they wouldnt! they would try to educate the clients that theirs was a far superior service and let their clients see the light! as we all know, you would pay far more for a decent quality set of nail enhancements than if you went to the local NSS! Same difference!!

hi, i rent a room and have little overheads, i decided to do tans for £10 to try and get people off sunbeds and to come weekly
yes people might think there rubbish, but since i started word of mouth has spread, also im still making£7 profit on each tan,
i use la tanning ,for ever litre you buy,they give you another litre free,
keep on tanning,
ps. i think my legs are toning up,doing all that squating tanning yeah hx

100% agree with you both! I charge 20 pounds mobile for one person, gets cheaper the more people there are, down to 15 sometimes.

I am always busy, people dont mind paying for a spray tan, especially when I drive to them and do it in their own home, means they dont have to go out to get it done and they can it down after work when a lot of salons would be closed anyway.

I dont think we should lower our prices to stop people using sunbeds, that is a personal choice, and to get the equivalent colour with sunbeds would probably end up costing you at least 20 pounds anyway - PLUS the risk of getting skin cancer, ageing skin, sunburn etc etc... If they decide to use sunbeds knowing all these things then that is up to them, I wont lower my prices just to try to convince them that my service is better for them, if anything they should be paying more due to the fact that there is no health risk shouldnt they?

How many nail techs do you know that would charge half the amount of the NSS just so people didnt go to them? Of course they wouldnt! they would try to educate the clients that theirs was a far superior service and let their clients see the light! as we all know, you would pay far more for a decent quality set of nail enhancements than if you went to the local NSS! Same difference!!

Absolutely hun! All i can do is advise my clients that sunbeds are bad for them but they will not listen, just the same as i didn't when i used to use them. Being in this job made me stop. It scared me especially having the older clients for facials that have used sunbeds for years. You massage their skin and it just stays there!! :eek: Back then spray tans were not really out there like they are now and when they did come out i remember them being £40!! I wouldnt have got nowhere near as brown from £20's worth of sunbeds than i do from 1 spray tan.
And yes they pay £20 for a tan lasting 7 days, which some people might think is a lot but like you said we are going to them. They don't have to get dressed and go home in the rain. £20 if you ask me is a bargin for the service we provide!! :hug: xxx

Can I just ask how long you all allow for treatment time of a spray tan ?

I am not trained in them but Im just thinking that if it only takes 15mins and say the average price is £15 then I wouldn't think that to cheap at all.

If I was trained and it only took me 15 mins then I probably wouldn't charge anymore than £15. If it took me 30 mins then yes I would be looking more around the £20 mark.

I charge £10 for a file and polish and that only takes me 15 mins so IF I did spray tans and it took me the same amount of time how would I justify the extra £15 in cost should I decide to charge £25?

Hope that all makes sense ?!

it takes me roughly 25 mins from arriving, setting up, consultation, spray, pack away, go through aftercare and leave.... that is for one person, each additional person takes roughly 15 mins at the same location, that depends on if they are ready, make up off, had their cigarette, been to the loo, washed hands etc etc etc.... sometimes I take longer depending on how chatty we are too :green: but normally I can bank on being done and on my way in 25 mins for one person, 40 mins for two, an hour for three...

I think you would justify the extra cost with the price of the solution, file and polish doesnt cost a lot but when you have solution, hat, disposable undies etc it all starts to add up!

I am salon based so i don't have the added cost of petrol etc...
It takes me 15 mins max. If i have more than one client in then they can be getting themselves prepared in another room whilst i am spraying so if i had a party of 6 in then i can do them all in an hour.
I know some people think that less than £25 is cheap but you have one days training then a bit of practice and you're ready to go.
People who do nails have to train a lot longer and practice a long time to get to be a good nail tech. For them to be earning the same amount as someone who is tanning they would have to charge over £100 a set and people would think that extortionate.
If you were charging £25 a tan then a one litre bottle would be making you approximately £500. No other salon service would make this much profit.
I would not pay £25 for a tan and i wouldn't expect my clients to as i think it's daylight robbery!
This is purely my personal opinion :)

the only thing you have to work out is what they are costing you!, profit is profit, and at ten pound a tan im sure you are makin one so crack on.....

Im doing £10 tans at the moment as i am trying out new solutions so they are getting guniea pig rates, lol. The clients are all aware that this rate is to trial, my normal price is £17. I am home salon based so dont have the petrol costs etc. £10 as a normal price does seem to cheap, but if you are happy, go for it. Trouble you will have is when you want to increase your prices, as those people will then think £12 is expensive!! (honestly, cheap prices can attract cheap people, trust me)

Latest posts

Back