Is It Art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorsclaws

Photographic Geek
Reaction score
As a Creative tech I suppose Im influenced by their sleek style in nails and thats what I generally aim for when working on a client.
Gigi & Sam are my main inspiration when working with p&w and I try to keep my nails 'real' ie: neat, refined and wearable ... I did say try, :lol:

When working with Nail art I like to let my own creativity run wild but, Im also inspired by artists such as Antony Buckley & Trang Nguyen. Both these techs create incredibly artistic & flamboyant nails but both have something in common with Gigi & Sam ... their nails are still sleek and refined.

I find sometimes when I look around that a lot of peeps seem to ignore refining the shape of the nails when working with nail art, so Im interested to know ... when looking at/working with arty nails ... do you still consider the shape or do you just see the art?

glo, no matter what art work i'm putting over the top of the enhancements i do i make sure that the foundation is correct, some of the art i do on some ladies is a bit over the top and very bling, but the l&p is always the same, i always keep my enhancements thin, and always look for the line of light.
no matter what goes on top!!!!!!

i totally agree with you glo!!, it seems that some ppl wil have the most atrociousely shaped nails, all claw like and long, too long , to be able to get the art on it, and the nail art is fantastic, but the overall look is then spoilt by the form of the nail,
its not often i do any art , but if i do i make the nail as i normally would, symetrical, pleasing to the eye, not over long etc etc and then start on the art!!!!

When creating nail art with l&p I find that I will sacrafice the art so that the form and shape of the nail is as it should be. Well that's what I try to do:irked:

I can't say I really do any nail art, apart from the occasionally adventurous rhinestone. However I do often look at the pics of it, both on here and other places on the net. I am often presented with pics of lovely artwork, but the nails leave a lot to desire, thick and claw-like with little consideration to their form or ability to look "natural" in shape. But then maybe people like that look and find the natural look too flat?

Great thread Glo, your nail art is always beautiful, as your nails always have a perfect form, for me, the look I cant stand is long long nails where the free edge is totally out of proportion to the nail bed, then whatever art is put on top of that will never look nice in my eyes.

i think art with nails is the same as other things such as sculpture....nail enhancements are more of a "sculpture" than a painting on a canvas.
the shape the lines the appearance the flow. if the actual art work on the nail is great but the sculpture of the nail isnt so great this could make beautiful artwork ugly.

I totally agree with you Glo - what is the point in having wonderful nail art on unballanced, ugly nails.

well as you all know Antony is my educator and ive been taught that when doing design the nails still have to have the same structure etc...
when i did a recent educator exam... one of my best structured nails was my design one
art is lovely but you do need to take into account that nails on there own can be beautifully created... how many times have you seen someones nails like Trang or Antony or any big comp winner's nails and been like wow they are beautiful and they are just a p&w... i know i have and i guess that we all try to folllow the examples they give

im all for nail art but after all if the nail has no structure then it just wont look right imo

Jess
xox

the nail is your canvas, of course it matters, unless you are gonna cover it in a whole heap of crap.

I totally agree with you Glo.

I have also wondered why when people practise nail art they do so on the whole of a full sized tip, as the finished effect would be totally different on a 'normal' sized nail (if that makes sense!!) I do understand that you want to give clients something to choose from, but surely it won't look the same on a smaller scale. It would also be much harder to produce the same design but smaller.

art is in the eye of the beholder.....as long as the client and the artist are happy I guess that's all that matters.......but for me personally I have to have a nice base ......

art is in the eye of the beholder.....as long as the client and the artist are happy I guess that's all that matters.......but for me personally I have to have a nice base ......

I second that.
But, the shape is definately important. As previously stated, you need a good canvas for good results.
While some may have differing opinions on length, and what length is attractive. Or, whether it should be square,stilletoe or almond etc..
The basics are pretty much agreed up (apex, c-curve, smile line, etc).
As long as the basics are 'tight' and look great on their own, any art added will only be emphasized by the great base.

i see both...sometimes the overall look of a nail is just beautiful shape,form,artwork,i abserloutly love looking at them and aspire to be able to create someting so beautiful myself one day...

but i also love looking at long crazy nails some i thing eeeewwww,but some i thing ooooohhhh
if i am doing art on a client it usually tends to be little filcks/rhinestones ect...so the nail is as i would do it ,if somebody wants somthing a little different,like my bright orange glitter tips,i could see the form /shape wasnt perfect,but it was the best i could do,
its quite tricky to answer this really as there are so many different types and styles out there

the nail is your canvas, of course it matters, unless you are gonna cover it in a whole heap of crap.

Good point, I do think that some people use nail art to hide imperfections. The nails have to be good before you think about the art.
Great thread Glo.

Good point, I do think that some people use nail art to hide imperfections. The nails have to be good before you think about the art.
Great thread Glo.

totally babes... nails gotta be tip top.. them go for the art ;)

Speaking very much as a novice and only a month ago just a consumer I can see how much my opinion has changed in a very short time.
I really hated all nail art however subtle,extreme or clever it was but I can see now that what I found repugnant was the nasty overlong badly formed bears claws underneath.
I'm no expert now but I can see that although I am never going to be a fan, art is all too often presented on nails that look like my 1st set
I should add, not yours Glo, I was referring to my neck of the woods

Fab thread Glo - I agree - the form of the nail has to be spot on :green:

before you start your nail art the nails still have to be good if not you have great art and terrible nails you will have an unhappy clients.

Latest posts

Back