Is taking Roaccutane a contra for spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Okay this pretty well does what it says on the tin. I have a mega offer on at the moment of 10 euros a spray tan and I am mega busy. This is helping spread the word for the tans and also for the salon.

I have a client who comes to me regularly for tanning who is also spreading the word. She has a friend who is taking acne drugs and we think it is roaccutane. Her doctor has said that the drugs will not allow the tan to develop and so would be a waste of time. I was not taught whether this is so on my training, or when I was a Tantrick trainer. Does anyone know if this is the case? For 10 euros I would just say give it a go, but if there is any other reason why she shouldn't have it I would obviously need to know.

Many thanks in advance!

Not as far as I am aware, I don't think they can exfoliate and their skin is dried considerably but I have never heard of it as a contra:hug:

The tan develops normally but can grab their dry areas

Good question, i know it can make skin very dry and sometimes quite sensitive but im not sure whether it would affect how the tan takes on the skin. Having said that i was taught that clients on medication such as hrt could turn a lot darker than usual etc so maybe there would be a chance of this or the opposite where it doesnt take at all. 10Euro is cheap for a tan tho so you could try, then you will have your answer. Or you could do a patch test?:)

Hi The side effects of this drug are as long as your arm!! The thing that has been mentioned that would bother me is the ' epidermal fragility' - the dryness of skin - scaling, thinning, erythema and pruritis. I would assume that the client would have reduced immunity to possible allergy as well. I think I would give it a miss unless her GP said OK. It would not be worth a bad reaction for a few euros.:)

Ive been on roaccutane. I still had tans with no problems. The main thing was the dry skin for me. So lots of moisturising!

Just to clarify I also exfoliated my skin with no problems. It was a little more sensitive so a gentle exfoliation was better. There are a lot of side effects with roaccutane but you rarely suffer from all of them. Me personally id go on what the individual decided to do.

I tanned myself while on roaccutane. It was a little sore in areas where my skin was super sensitive. Unlike nikki I couldn't exfoliate due to my sensitivity, but it didn't matter because my tan was still even, i think i was naturally exfoliated!

There wouldnt be a medical contraindication to not doing it. If she feels happy having it done then why not.

becki xxx

I would be more wary Sassy, of her coming in for a wax epilation than her wanting a spray tan ...in fact the reason she has to be wary of the sun would make her want a spray tan I suspect. With spray tanning there is no worry of her exposing herself to the uv light, including sunlight which could be dangerous. The dryness of her skin would be a problem, but that could again be overcome by moisturising well and the spray tan solution having moisturisers in it. Maybe the doc thought she was going to go on a sunbed. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I agree the main problem here is the side effect of the dry skin, so as long as she is aware of this and has a few days to prepare her skin in, with lots of moisturising the only problem i can see her facing is that it may not fade the same as it would on a person not taking this medication so it might go a bit patchy where her skin is the driest,
she would just need to moisturise like her tan depended on it hun hth

The only problem i can see is that of her dry skin, like others have said i would advice on moisturising for a few days prior to having a spray tan and then continue moisturising after the spray tan.

I have to do this as i have realy dry elbows and knees from eczema (sp) but i find good moisturising before and after works a treat.

If in doubt - don't. You just never know how the skin will react. I couldnt treat a client on Roaccutane for IPL.

This is a very good question and one that is not simplistic in answering.

How a spraytan creates the tanned effect is by way of the DHA penetrating through the outer skin layer(dead skin) into the ameno acids ,about 7 micron's below, it is therefore the ameno acids that get stained which gives the skin its colour.

The doctor could well be confused as this drug can indeed prohibit the tanning of the skin through UV exposure ...there is however no evidence to assume that this applies to a spraytan...as the tanning effect comes about through a completly different processes.

I think it would be wise to therefore look at this problem with rather more simplistic eye's rather than one of being over complicated

1) If the acne is inflamed best not spraying

2) if the acne is not inflamed proceed with caution..maybe try a small area of the body and so on...I guess that this customer may well want/need a tan so could well be important to him/her.

3) If you do go ahead make the customer aware that the tan may or may not take so they are having it at risk...also worth mentioning that any dry skin from the acne may well cause blotches (where the DHA is obsorbed more to these dry area's )

I guess if you are doing a special offer promotion for so little dosh then what is there really to loose...if you proceed wit caution you could well have one happy customer who will be eternally gratefull for you giving her the look she so desperatly desires.

Thank you all for your replies - sorry I lost internet connection til now! I have passed on your comments to my client whose friend this is and said that if in any doubt just reconsult with her doctor in case there are any serious side effects other than it may not take, or could be patchy.

Surely if the doctor says he thinks it will not take there is no harm in trying as it not developing is not a contraindication. But I also agree with what collin says! :hug: Your plan of action was a good plan!

"I guess if you are doing a special offer promotion for so little dosh then what is there really to loose...if you proceed wit caution you could well have one happy customer who will be eternally gratefull for you giving her the look she so desperatly desires."

Hi - I do not agree with this - I would rather give it a miss considering it is 'for so little dosh' and you really could have a lot to lose - unhappy client, bad skin reaction and reputation knowing that this drug can cause problems. Is it really worth it???

I do not have acne (used to) but when I had a facial tan application the tan sat in my pores and was comedogenic. I guess it depends where the acne is face, back, chest etc...

Latest posts

Back