Lamps and UV Output.. is it a mystery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronzewolf

Reaction score
Ok so i phoned CND today to ask them what the UV output was on the BRISA Lamp and the answer was.....(drum roll)
"I dont have a clue"
"No company will give out information on UV output, i can give you wattage information but that dosent make a difference"

Ooookay....so i have looked everwhere on the US site FAQ and UK site and this is the only information i can find, which isnt telling me much, does anyone have any idea?

Brisa Lamp

A high-performance compact UV lamp designed to thoroughly cure Brisa Gel enhancements with a 220v (max output 130 watt).

Its sort of like asking the BPO content of a companies powders. I don't know the answer to that! Even if I did, I would need the output numbers for other systems to make assumptions or comparisons. Why bother? When I stick to systems designed to work together I get success. That works for me!

Ok so i phoned CND today to ask them what the UV output was on the BRISA Lamp and the answer was.....(drum roll)
"I dont have a clue"
"No company will give out information on UV output, i can give you wattage information but that dosent make a difference"

Ooookay....so i have looked everwhere on the US site FAQ and UK site and this is the only information i can find, which isnt telling me much, does anyone have any idea?

Brisa Lamp

A high-performance compact UV lamp designed to thoroughly cure Brisa Gel enhancements with a 220v (max output 130 watt).
Top-end ranges have lamps that are specifically designed to cure their gel, they expect you to trust the research and development that they spend a lot of money on.

Why the drum roll and why do you need to know the UV output?

Because i want to know if you have to buy a BRISA uv lamp its not enough to just say yes because the UV output is greater, out of my own curiousity i want to know what the UV output is on the brisa lamp and on other lamps the CND FAQ and statements that people are giving are not really answering my question, sorry im in a sherlock mood

CND FAQ on their site

25. Can Shellac be used and cured with
another brand’s Lamp?
No. Shellac was developed and designed to work with the UV output found
only with the new CND UV Lamp (or the Brisa™ Lamp). There is no guarantee
that Shellac will cure properly or wear well with any other brand of Lamp.

Heather Davies Reply on Beauty Tech

Wattage of the bulbs has to do with how much ENERGY is used to RUN the lamp- WHats different about CND UV bulbs is their UV OUTPUT. It's exteremely high to make up for the low amount of photoinitiator in CND UV gels- and the same is true for SHELLAC. This is how they can make a product that is 3-Free (no formaldehyde, toulene, gluteraldehyde, DBP) that STILL cures
icon_smile.gif
Traditional lamps have a LOW UV output- you can test this by trying to cure traditional gel in a CND lamp- it will overcure, causing cracking and chipping.

Thank you fiona, interesting article, i guess at the end of the day like geek said one cannot measure the UV output all one knows that in labratory conditions when they cross examine the solvents/polymers of shellac they can see whether its been overcured or undercured according to exposure time,thus producing a perfect and compatable result and only if you had access to all the labs, science and money would you be able to experiment with other lamps, ah well i shall close my notebook signed sherlock ;)

the specific UV output is proprietary ;)

I recently got my nails "Shellac-ed" at a local salon before it's release...actually it's the salon I used to work at which is probably why I got to try it out...anyway...they didn't use the creative UV light to cure my nails. They used en vogue. The tech said they had been doing the axxium gels and the axxium light. She said she didn't like the axxium light because the thumb and pinky weren't curing completely. Then they switched to shellac and she said she loved the new en vogue light because it had bulbs on the side so all nails cured and she didn't have to tell her clients to tilt their nails while in the lamp.

I have had my nails on for 11 days now and now chipping or breaking or any problems. So while I understand that lamps are made to work with the systems they are designed for, I believe you can use other lamps and have the same results.

IT's hard to pay $250 for a UV lamp when a $100 lamp will do that same thing.

I have had my nails on for 11 days now and now chipping or breaking or any problems. So while I understand that lamps are made to work with the systems they are designed for, I believe you can use other lamps and have the same results.

IT's hard to pay $250 for a UV lamp when a $100 lamp will do that same thing.

But this is not actually true - you do not know if you are getting the same results.

Did you read the link I posted earlier on the thread about the article Doug Schoon wrote about over or under curing gels.

If may feel cured and wear well but you dont know if you might be risking over exposure due to incorrect curing.

:grr:

this is true....I guess just because I didn't have a problem or have any noticeable effects from the use of a different light it doesn't mean all clients won't.

Then I guess the only other thing to say is...I wish that creative would lower the price of their lamp a bit and make it a little more accessible to nail techs who work on their own and don't have a salon supplying them!

this is true....I guess just because I didn't have a problem or have any noticeable effects from the use of a different light it doesn't mean all clients won't.

But just because you didn't have any reaction this time is no guarantee of no reaction next time - over-exposure is caused by repeated exposure to, in this case, potentially under-cured gel.

If you want to use a top end product buy all the elements of that product line. If you want to do nails on a budget use a generic gel that will cure in a generic lamp. I'm a sole tech, self-employed and work on my own but there are some things I wont comprimise in, my lamp being one of them. I have the Brisa lamp and I will use that for Shellac as well.

hth's

Yes very helpful...I would rather use creative's product and do it right than a generic product.

Now onto the next question, I know the Brisa lamp works for shellac...but what about this new lamp coming out in June? Is it supposed to be better than the one they currently have out? I don't want to spend the money this month and in another month feel the need for this new lamp!

Yes very helpful...I would rather use creative's product and do it right than a generic product.

Now onto the next question, I know the Brisa lamp works for shellac...but what about this new lamp coming out in June? Is it supposed to be better than the one they currently have out? I don't want to spend the money this month and in another month feel the need for this new lamp!

I presume you mean the new lamp which is available now to cure the Shellac?

It is CNDs new UV lamp for use with Shellac and Brisa and there was a hint that it will cure something else which is yet to come so watch this space LOL.

The lamp is designed for a full hand cure rather than the current 4 fingers then thumbs which the current lamp does.

There are 3 timers 10 secs, 120 seconds and 150 seconds (I think), you can programme which button does which time. There is also a timer count down so when clients are in for 2 mins and they say how much longer, you can tell them.

It also will tell you how much life is left in your bulbs.

There is a tray inside which can be removed to give more room for doing toes.

Wow! Is it sad I think this lamp sounds fantastic. lol. I want it. Come on June. Will this be in the training kits instead of the current one when released?

Brisa Lamp
Unfortunately its not necessarily the output wattage not least the voltage(simply there for use in specific countries) that actually does the curing...it is of course the UV output that matters.

Im sure the companies concerned have researched and found the relevant lamps with the relevant UV output that matches the function to which it is being put.

One can of course find the relevant information simply by referring to the spec information printed on the can so to speak...its generally either printed or a fancy sticker that's affixed to the item that provides all this info...if CE certified equipment it needs ,in order to comply,to have this information printed somewhere on it.

Simply a case of looking at the label..the info is/should be there.

HTH :hug:

I presume you mean the new lamp which is available now to cure the Shellac?

It is CNDs new UV lamp for use with Shellac and Brisa and there was a hint that it will cure something else which is yet to come so watch this space LOL.

The lamp is designed for a full hand cure rather than the current 4 fingers then thumbs which the current lamp does.

There are 3 timers 10 secs, 120 seconds and 150 seconds (I think), you can programme which button does which time. There is also a timer count down so when clients are in for 2 mins and they say how much longer, you can tell them.

It also will tell you how much life is left in your bulbs.

There is a tray inside which can be removed to give more room for doing toes.

I thought the new lamp wasn't coming out until June...perhaps my beauty store just isn't getting it until then....the new lamp sounds amazing! Is there a big price difference between it and the former light used for Brisa?

I thought the new lamp wasn't coming out until June...perhaps my beauty store just isn't getting it until then....the new lamp sounds amazing! Is there a big price difference between it and the former light used for Brisa?

From looking at the prices, they seem to be about the same so with the new improved light, you are getting a bargain! Bearing in mind I am only looking at the UK prices - I wouldnt know what the US prices are.

as an electrical engineer/phycicist i admit i know nothing about nails !! but i have found this thread very interesting reading... light has a frequency and curing by light i suspect is nothing to do with voltages or wattage but about the intensity/frequency of the light .. all things have a natural resonance
ie a thickness and vibration that it is happy to respond too ... its like driving a car that is a bit rattle and shake at a certain speed it will be silent .. it has met its resonance or frequency
Its my thought that the makers of these products know the exact resonance/light frequency to cure there product and they have produced a light that produces the correct frequency of UV to penetrate the surface and cure the nail from the inside.
I had a filling in my teeth the other day and it was cured using a uv laser at the correct light frequency/resonance for the material that was used to fill my teeth
As i said i know nothing about nails but engineering and physics i do understand ...it cant be about the heat generated from the light as a hair drier would do the job !!!!

As i said i know nothing about nails but engineering and physics i do understand ...it cant be about the heat generated from the light as a hair drier would do the job !!!!

Steve, that has helped me understand the differences in lamps a bit.

I would be interested to hear from the companies that sell gel that can be cured by any 36watt light how they accomplish this. I have used gel from various companies who do not sell a specific light alongside their product & have had excellent results with no service breakdown.

How can this be?

Latest posts

Back