Lamps and UV Output.. is it a mystery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For goodness sake! You may be accurate in your facts but certainly not in the spirit of a genuinely new innovation that will 'change things'.

As a frequent poster on this site can't you just embrace something truly exciting without putting a 'downer' on it?

The lamp works beautifully and is legal. Patents are pending on the technology. Steve has explained the resonance and frequency and that is good enough for me.

Oh dear oh dear..im completely at a loss as to your comments here...im not putting any downer on anything for goodness sake other than to offer advice as to questions on outputs are concerned..and where one could possibly find answers to those questions as to where to look on the appliance...advice given by a qualified HND electrical engineer and someone also qualified in UV outputs to boot :rolleyes:

What is it with people wanting a new product but not wanting to spend some money on a lamp that is designed to go with that product:(
Yes buy the product use a cheap or different make lamp but dont expect to see the best results.

What is it with people wanting a new product but not wanting to spend some money on a lamp that is designed to go with that product:(
Yes buy the product use a cheap or different make lamp but dont expect to see the best results.

As far as I can see from Reading the thread that's not what most people are saying. This is a thread about uv lights in general & how they work. It's not a thread about a specific product or lamp at all!

I have found it most interesting & informative to read, thanks to those in the know who have posted facts on the subject here. :)

So ok very intresting but complicated thread, I understand what people are saying about cheaper lamps etc but what about lamps that were not cheap and designed for a reputable gel company? Would these be no good for the shellac?

I'm slightly sceptical about these things after a did a gel course ( not cnd) and you had to buy this that and the other I mean cuticle remover/files/top coat / polish remover/ drying spray everything from them which to be truthful they were slightly taking the Micky...

Don't get me wrong in an ideal world we would all have everything nail wise and a stack of lamps 4 every possible treatment available!

I found this on the CND website under f.a.q for Shellac, maybe this can shed some light on it
• Wattage = power. UV output = energy. Output is the combination of the
number of bulbs, geometric placement of the bulbs & the mirrors inside the
lamp. The design of the new Lamp yields the same output as the Brisa Lamp.
• The higher the output, the more effective the cure, which allows for lower
levels of Photo-initiators to help eliminate shrinking & burning.

hth:D

Well I like that Jim McConnel's article about gel lamps and bulbs, in the link I added (you have to scroll down to page 14..sorry I forgot to mention that!), gives tangible numbers so you can have an IDEA of how the UV output differs between lamps! If you can see, it shows that the regular Brisa lamps has a much higher UV output based on his calculations than say an IBD lamp, or just a standard tunnel lamp!

This should be helpful info for people thinking that every brand is "out to get you" with making you buy their lamps or what have you. I think it really solidifies the science so you can see how it all comes together. If we want to get into specifics, CND always tell people that their gels are created with less photo-initiators and therefore require their lamp because of the higher UV output necessary. Seeing the numbers really shows that they aren't just trying to pocket your hard earned money or whatever people seem to be under the impression they (and other companies) are doing.

Really not trying to stir anything up, I just find it to be a very interesting topic, and I love how it all makes sense in the end. :o

I go with the lamp for my system, but I was interested to read the various info about UV Output presented in this article by Light Elegance. This might help give people actual numbers to get an idea of the different lamps.

http://www.lightelegance.com/pdf/technicalbrochure.pdf

HTH

thank you for the reference to that article, it's an interesting and informative read that has clarified things for me.

I am wiping the sweat off my brow after reading all this. I shall only add, that we do have the NEW CND Lamp which cures both Brisa and Shallac on stock. They arrived yesterday and should have been with us over The Event weekend. Yes the Volcanic ash was the barrier.

I can also add (as I didn't see reference to this), that due to the five finger cure, the two bulbs on the top of the lamp (there are 4 sets of bulbs) appear slightly shorter than the 2 that are angled at either side for thumb and pinkie curing. They are not shorter but simply sit deeper into the lamp. It is very ergonomically designed and clever as the new lamp gives all 5 fingers maximum cure advantages.

We have hardly any old Brisa lamps left and the ones we do have I will be allowing our UKCND EA's to buy for their classrooms for Brisa and Shellac. For those that have the 'vintage' lamp version, we will still have the bulbs / liners etc available to you.;)

Just ordered my Shellac lamp.
Did my nails yesterday with Shellac using my 36 watt tunnel lamp and today I have a lot of little scratches on my nails and on my thumb a little chip. Although I have been working (part time merchandiser when not doing nails)I wouldn't have expected them to have scratches.
But I can't expect a perfect job without the correct tools lol, hence ordering my lamp.

would someone please pm me the price of the new "Shellac" lamp. i did receive a quote from fingertips in edinburgh for the brisa lamp but am not sure if they are the same price?

would someone please pm me the price of the new "Shellac" lamp. i did receive a quote from fingertips in edinburgh for the brisa lamp but am not sure if they are the same price?

I think I checked this yesterday and they are the same price.

For those that have the 'vintage' lamp version, we will still have the bulbs / liners etc available to you.;)

Omg, I have a vintage lamp...... Not sure if that makes me old or classy, lol :D:D

Just ordered my Shellac lamp.
Did my nails yesterday with Shellac using my 36 watt tunnel lamp and today I have a lot of little scratches on my nails and on my thumb a little chip. Although I have been working (part time merchandiser when not doing nails)I wouldn't have expected them to have scratches.
But I can't expect a perfect job without the correct tools lol, hence ordering my lamp.
Hi hun, I applied my Shellac with Wifee's vintage lamp on Saturday and don't have a mark on them. I'm not a gel expert by any stretch, in fact Saturday was the first time I'd ever touched gel. I was however lucky enough to be sat next to Fiona and Sandie who both told me THIN COATS !!!!!!
Have another go at them hun and keep these coats really really thin, cap the ends well and I think you will find the results you are looking for.
That said the new lamp is lovellllllyyy and great for toes to so I know you will love it.

Hi hun, I applied my Shellac with Wifee's vintage lamp on Saturday and don't have a mark on them. I'm not a gel expert by any stretch, in fact Saturday was the first time I'd ever touched gel. I was however lucky enough to be sat next to Fiona and Sandie who both told me THIN COATS !!!!!!
Have another go at them hun and keep these coats really really thin, cap the ends well and I think you will find the results you are looking for.
That said the new lamp is lovellllllyyy and great for toes to so I know you will love it.
Thanks Susie, maybe could have applied to thick. Although excited about getting my new lamp lol.

Thanks Susie, maybe could have applied to thick. Although excited about getting my new lamp lol.
Susie's right :green:
Thin coats means a complete cure, the thicker the application the harder it is to cure. The first application 'might' give you what looks like an uneven coverage, by the second application you will have full coverage and after curing the top coat they'll bling with shine :D

I've been purposely trying to dent mine, even to the stage where I've got my teeth to my nail and it's not left one mark on them. I've been busy with housework, washing up, never wearing gloves (bad I know lol) and they are still as gorgeous as they were when Fiona applied the colour (cured with a Brisa lamp) on Saturday afternoon :green:

Latest posts

Back