Lamps and UV Output.. is it a mystery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating response from the engineer! And according the the Q&A from CND, looks like the new lamp is $100 cheaper...hoping that my beauty store sells it at the price they have listed...I know the shellac itself was sold for the price listed on the Q &A so that makes it even more worth getting since it isn't nearly as expensive as the Brisa lamp. but as I suspected it is my personal beauty store that isn't getting the lamp in until late May early June...so now I have shellac and nothing to cure it with :( Anyone know where else I can get my hands on the new lamp before the end of May?

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear from the companies that sell gel that can be cured by any 36watt light how they accomplish this. I have used gel from various companies who do not sell a specific light alongside their product & have had excellent results with no service breakdown.

How can this be?

I'm certainly not an expert so could be wrong here.

I think there are generic gels that don't need a specific lamp so possibly a standard 36 watt UV lamp from the Daylight Company would cure them.

Then there are gels that are not generic, that the brands manufacture themselves which will work with the lamp that they make especially for that gel.

How odd to be selling a product that does not have the lamp available at launch to cure it properly! This seems to be the case both sides of the pond, why?

How odd to be selling a product that does not have the lamp available at launch to cure it properly! This seems to be the case both sides of the pond, why?

Well they have the "old" light available...and as I mentioned for $100 MORE than the new light that is coming out..or has just been launched. So I don't know why they wouldn't get the new light as well...unless they wanted to sell off the old ones cause they figured no one would buy them once they could get one that would cure both Brisa and shellac for $100 less. It's no contest between the 2 lights for me that's for sure, besides the price difference the benefits of being able to do all 5 fingers or toes at once is a great option!

I'm certainly not an expert so could be wrong here.

I think there are generic gels that don't need a specific lamp so possibly a standard 36 watt UV lamp from the Daylight Company would cure them.

Then there are gels that are not generic, that the brands manufacture themselves which will work with the lamp that they make especially for that gel.

Ok thanks for that reply, if this is correct why do some companies produce a generic product that requires no specific brand of light & some companies a product that can only properly cure with their own lamp?

Ok thanks for that reply, if this is correct why do some companies produce a generic product that requires no specific brand of light & some companies a product that can only properly cure with their own lamp?

From what I understand many nail companies buy from the same factory with just different labelling.... whereas CND and some others invest heavily in their own research and development to develop high end products and the technology to get the very best from those products.

The only reason the lamps aren't available in the UK is the recent problems with the volcanic ash cloud. Re the situation in the States I couldn't say, but I suppose it's possible that the first batch has oversold???????

From what I've read companies don't produce a generic product. They get a product and put their labels on it.

With regards to the lamp not being available - in the UK shipping was delayed by the ash cloud, then The Geek said they are in the country but customs have them. I think they are available in the states but sounds like certain wholesalers don't have them.

I don't know how things work over there but can you go straight to CND to buy and have them ship it to you? Do you have to use your local wholesaler? I'll be buying mine from my local distributor but I'm pretty sure I could buy from Sweet Squared too.

I dont agree that any 36 watt light would do the job as well as any other as i think it has to be about light frequency and vibration
if you imagine light to be like a gas cooker cooking a steak to high and it looks like its burned but inside its raw !!
some one more knowledgeable than me will be along soon and i may be wrong but somehow i doubt it

From what I understand many nail companies buy from the same factory with just different labelling.... whereas CND and some others invest heavily in their own research and development to develop high end products and the technology to get the very best from those products.

Thanks, that's very interesting, however as I have a very enquiring mind it would be great to hear from any representatives of other well respected brands on this subject- ie- do you buy in your product, or create it yourselves?

The only reason the lamps aren't available in the UK is the recent problems with the volcanic ash cloud. Re the situation in the States I couldn't say, but I suppose it's possible that the first batch has oversold???????

That would explain a lot then, though I do read some US forums & none of their members seem to have their mits on the new lamp either, June seems to be the available date.

i meant more qualified to talk about nails !! not physics i just read that i sounded like a real pompous git !! x x x

Ha! Not very good at this, not enough practice, part of my last reply is in the middle of the quote!:-o

i meant more qualified to talk about nails !! not physics i just read that i sounded like a real pompous git !! x x x

Not at all, I am just really interested to hear how many large companies manage to sell a product line that does nor require a specific light.

Hopefully someone representing these companies can answer my question, should be an interesting answer!

Its my thought that the makers of these products know the exact resonance/light frequency to cure there product and they have produced a light that produces the correct frequency of UV to penetrate the surface and cure the nail from the inside.

which means they must be using some form of MEASURMENT

which means they must be using some form of MEASURMENT
yes very true, but they are not going to tell anyone the light frequency needed to cure there product as they would have paid £1000s in product development and wouldnt want any one producing cheap alternative lamps to do the same job .... cant blame them myself TBH

hence it remains a mystery..lol

yes very true, but they are not going to tell anyone the light frequency needed to cure there product as they would have paid £1000s in product development and wouldnt want any one producing cheap alternative lamps to do the same job .... cant blame them myself TBH

Unfortunately I do have to disagree here as will trading standards no doubt...not withstanding any CE requirements.

On any electrical equipment statutory requirements require this information being stated clearly on the appliance...this requirement is even more essential when it comes equipment using any form of UV output.

One way of finding out the output is to have a wee look at the lamp itself...responsible lamp manufacturers generally stamp output data on their lamps(on the glass by the end caps).

Also remember peeps..whilst the UV output on these devices is completely safe there is a requirement under the electricity at work act to have these items PAT'ed every year to ensure they are electrically safe:hug:

as an electrical engineer/phycicist i admit i know nothing about nails !! but i have found this thread very interesting reading... light has a frequency and curing by light i suspect is nothing to do with voltages or wattage but about the intensity/frequency of the light .. all things have a natural resonance
ie a thickness and vibration that it is happy to respond too ... its like driving a car that is a bit rattle and shake at a certain speed it will be silent .. it has met its resonance or frequency
Its my thought that the makers of these products know the exact resonance/light frequency to cure there product and they have produced a light that produces the correct frequency of UV to penetrate the surface and cure the nail from the inside.
I had a filling in my teeth the other day and it was cured using a uv laser at the correct light frequency/resonance for the material that was used to fill my teeth
As i said i know nothing about nails but engineering and physics i do understand ...it cant be about the heat generated from the light as a hair drier would do the job !!!!

Great! Thank you. An educated answer that has no axe to grind! It makes perfect sense and very easy to understand.

I would be interested to hear from the companies that sell gel that can be cured by any 36watt light how they accomplish this. I have used gel from various companies who do not sell a specific light alongside their product & have had excellent results with no service breakdown.

How can this be?

Lots of UV gel have a very similar formulation and often come from the same manufacturers. A general lamp will work with them.

Some companies with more to spend on a very long term R&D will formulate something completely new.

If you notice, many of these generic gels have a problem with 'heat spike'. if the gel and the UV output was working perfectly together this wouldn't happen with normal usage.

The extensive research is bringing out more and more about incomplete cures. Fascinating!

Unfortunately I do have to disagree here as will trading standards no doubt...not withstanding any CE requirements.

On any electrical equipment statutory requirements require this information being stated clearly on the appliance...this requirement is even more essential when it comes equipment using any form of UV output.

One way of finding out the output is to have a wee look at the lamp itself...responsible lamp manufacturers generally stamp output data on their lamps(on the glass by the end caps).

Also remember peeps..whilst the UV output on these devices is completely safe there is a requirement under the electricity at work act to have these items PAT'ed every year to ensure they are electrically safe:hug:

For goodness sake! You may be accurate in your facts but certainly not in the spirit of a genuinely new innovation that will 'change things'.

As a frequent poster on this site can't you just embrace something truly exciting without putting a 'downer' on it?

The lamp works beautifully and is legal. Patents are pending on the technology. Steve has explained the resonance and frequency and that is good enough for me.

I go with the lamp for my system, but I was interested to read the various info about UV Output presented in this article by Light Elegance. This might help give people actual numbers to get an idea of the different lamps.

http://www.lightelegance.com/pdf/technicalbrochure.pdf

HTH

Latest posts

Back