Lottery fraud case - whats your opinion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ticket was lost and found in my local co-op!! Although I have no idea who it was that lost it or found it! lol

i prob would have kept it tbh i do have morals and like some others if i had seen it being dropped i would have given it back as i would if it had been money (i hope to find a big stash one day lol) you snooze you lose if she wasnt careful enough with her ticket her loss!! if i lose money or whatever i think well thats my tough i should have been more careful and as for doing them for fraud i think thats ridiculous!

on a better note i checked my ticket this morning to find i won 76 pounds on 4 numbers whoop whoop!!!

i prob would have kept it tbh i do have morals and like some others if i had seen it being dropped i would have given it back as i would if it had been money (i hope to find a big stash one day lol) you snooze you lose if she wasnt careful enough with her ticket her loss!! if i lose money or whatever i think well thats my tough i should have been more careful and as for doing them for fraud i think thats ridiculous!

on a better note i checked my ticket this morning to find i won 76 pounds on 4 numbers whoop whoop!!!

nice one :) :)

Well done for the win!!! Or thank the randomness of the machine at any rate :)

I'm rather unsettled by some of the answers given here!
Had I found it I would have handed it in to the police with a receipt, having photocopied it first. I didn't buy the ticket therefore I wouldn't be entitled to any winnings associated with it, and my conscience and innate sense of justice would preclude me from profiting from someone else's loss.
Do I think they've committed fraud? Hell, yes! They knowingly claimed the money when the ticket was not theirs.

So, if in your salon you found a twenty quid note on the floor, would you just pocket it, saying, well, they shoulda [sic] been more careful? Or would you put it in an envelope, put a notice up saying we have found something, come and talk to us if you think it's yours?

Hmmmm.

If I had a salon...and I found £20 on the floor ( providing I had no knowledge of who it belonged to)...it would go in the till.
I wouldn't put a notice up or anything. ( we are talking £20 right? If it was a bag containing the contents of a bank vault then that's a different matter )

However...should someone return to my salon and said they had lost £20, did I find it by chance...then most definitely I would give them their £20 back...no hesitation as that makes it a more personal matter, I know who lost it.

I DO think people should be more careful...yes!!!!!
My first thought about this lottery ticket case was the old lady was the irresponsible one for losing it.
Whatever the thoughts on this couple who cashed it in...the overall responsibility was with the old lady to look after her ticket in the first place.
For her to go on and blame Camelot is in my eyes terribly wrong.
Yes we can make mistakes and obviously she didn't intend to drop her ticket.
But I'm still overall thinking it was her own fault and in the future she should be a lot more careful.
Same with losing money...don't be a twerp and drop your money in the first place :lol:

Interesting thread, I've been at both ends of the moral angle and done both.
A few years ago I drove a taxi and one new years day picked up a young woman, who did nothing but gripe about the double fair all the way home, I pointed out to her that if she was working new year she would expect to get double time for it so why the heck shouldn't I?
She was rude, stank to high heaven of stale booze and vomit and tested my customer service skills to the utmost:irked: When she got out of the car she threw a scrunched up note at me saying I'm not paying the F**king £14 you get a £10 only. Well when I unfolded it, she'd given me a £10 and a £20, did I go knock on her door?
DID I HELL:green:
A couple of weeks back a very nice lady and her son got on my bus and with her limited English she asked for a week ticket, handed me what she thought was 2 £5 and was actually a £5 and a £10, when she got up to leave I showed her what she had done and gave her back the extra. She was a lovely lady, with a child and I know how to some people £5 is the difference between eating or not.
So the lotto ticket, yes I would have handed it in because it might have meant the difference between someones home being repossessed or not and I would never have been able to live with that.
I would have been very peed of if they hadn't given me a reward though:lol:

If I had a salon...and I found £20 on the floor ( providing I had no knowledge of who it belonged to)...it would go in the till.
I wouldn't put a notice up or anything. ( we are talking £20 right? If it was a bag containing the contents of a bank vault then that's a different matter )

However...should someone return to my salon and said they had lost £20, did I find it by chance...then most definitely I would give them their £20 back...no hesitation as that makes it a more personal matter, I know who lost it.

I DO think people should be more careful...yes!!!!!
My first thought about this lottery ticket case was the old lady was the irresponsible one for losing it.
Whatever the thoughts on this couple who cashed it in...the overall responsibility was with the old lady to look after her ticket in the first place.
For her to go on and blame Camelot is in my eyes terribly wrong.
Yes we can make mistakes and obviously she didn't intend to drop her ticket.
But I'm still overall thinking it was her own fault and in the future she should be a lot more careful.
Same with losing money...don't be a twerp and drop your money in the first place :lol:

i couldnt agree more :green:

I would say it was wrong if it happpened to me but if i found it i would have kept it!

I didnt know it was fraud. The woman should not have been careless and lost her ticket!

I think that she got half back which is more than she would have if she lost the receipt too or if she lost £30K in cash!

I think it was wrong they got a 11month suspended sentance. They were in debt, people in debt dont always think straight.

They should though have been given the option to repay her the other £15K in installments rather than the 11 month sentance as this could affect their jobs leaving them in even more debt!

Its a tough one!

But they lied! They stated to Camelot that they had paid for the ticket. How is that not fraudulent behaviour?

But they lied! They stated to Camelot that they had paid for the ticket. How is that not fraudulent behaviour?

oh right! didnt know that, just thought they cashed it at a post office! Fair enough then lol!

I lost £3K cash once when it fell out my bag, It was my fault and just got on with life. Wish I had it now mind :eek:! I doubt anyone would have handed it in!

Kate

So true Lynne, we let so much slide in this country that shocks friends I have in other parts of the world.
Suing Camalot though is wrong imo, the company asked the right question, i.e. did you buy the ticket, so trying to sue camalot is just being either silly or greedy. My understanding is that the real winner is going to get all of their money and the guilty are being punished.

I lost £3K cash once when it fell out my bag, It was my fault and just got on with life. Wish I had it now mind :eek:! I doubt anyone would have handed it in!

Did you check with the police and local banks? I've always been very pleasantly surprised by people's honesty. Years ago, I left my very expensive diamond solitaire ring in the toilet of a pub we had been to. I didn't realise till I got home, and rang the pub to find someone had handed it in.

I find it very sad that people's attitudes have changed. I honestly don't think it matters if it's £20 or £2000, it could still make a big difference to the person who has lost it and it's not rightfully the finders money and don't we all make mistakes sometimes! If it's handed in and no one claims it then fair enough I think that's how the law works anyway, but I could never just pocket it.

She was rude, stank to high heaven of stale booze and vomit and tested my customer service skills to the utmost:irked: When she got out of the car she threw a scrunched up note at me saying I'm not paying the F**king £14 you get a £10 only. Well when I unfolded it, she'd given me a £10 and a £20, did I go knock on her door?
DID I HELL:green:

Susie - that i could understand - payment for going beyond the call of duty !

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I would have rang Camelot and told them I had found a ticket which was a winner. I would have in no way tried to claim the money because, as others have said, my conscience would not let me keep something that is know knowingly mine.

Yes, I would keep my fingers crossed that the person who bought it didn't come forward but I couldn't live with myself knowing that the money claimed could have been a make or break amount for that person - especially a pensioner or a single parent struggling to make ends meet ( in today's financial climate, almost everyone is struggling in one way or another).

HAd I found it, the money would go a long way to secure my debts and treat my children but I would much rather give my children things knowing I had worked hard to earn them - I would not feel right knowing I had played a part in possibly depriving someone elses children a massive smile on Christmas or thier birthday :(

Same applies for me for any money - I found £5 by a stall at a car boot sale 2 weeks ago and asked if it was the people's standing nearby, they all said no so the stall holder took it and tried to give me £2.50 of it for myself. He was very shocked when I refused - it wasn't my money so I didn't want it!

Latest posts

Back