Male facial waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the poster a few posts above I also wax my facial hair. I enquired with several salons if they'd do it and was soundly turned down by all of them so I decided to do it my self. So I bought what I believe you are calling hard wax (I won't specify the brand) and did it my self and yes it did hurt, yes there was blood (but not lots) and yes it was very awkward to apply it to my self standing up using a spatular and wall mirror. But I was so pleased with the result compared to shaving (which leaves my face looking yuck) that I continue to use it as my only means of hair removal to this day. Generally it takes an hour or more. An hour and a half maybe. Some of my hair, on my upper lip and neck has grown back slightly finer and easy easier to wax now but the part I most want shot of on my chin and half way down my neck below my chin remains as thick and stubborn as it ever was. Sadly it doesn't last for 3 weeks for me, 2 ish at a stretch. And the complexity of it is such that I generally go 2 weeks clean faced let it grow a bit then take it off just prior to something special like a trip away. Never the less I can't help thinking I'm making it harder than it has to be. Can the pros give me any tips as to how to make the process faster and less painful.

The curious thing is: pluck one solitary nose hair and it'll bring tears to your eyes, but pull a whole bunch out together and it doesn't hurt a bit, Scout's honour! :D

Liar liar, pants on fire...

hi axiom i learn best by visuals and i know it is giving away some secret salon tips of yours but is there any way you could please find 5 mins to post a video of this, i am dying to do this to my victim of a bf before i would attempt to advertise it on clients, also do you guys have an equivalent perron rigot training school in ireland, where i am based?
i use euroblonde for most things, im addicted and find no wax like it for any body part, apart from legs as this just takes too long, any tips would be hugely grateful
also what oi etc do u apply first and after wax?
sorry to pick your brain it is exciting for
love nerdie

Hey there everyone, i'm not a hair professional, just someone who 'experimented' and went thru this & would like to share the experience.

K, so tired of shaving as usual. I'm of east indian origin, so my beard/stache hair is really REALLY dense & thick!! Did a lot of research online and wasn't sure if I should've even attempted this to start with - lot of conflicting reports on waxing mean's beards/stache.

Tried Nair/Veet's strip wax - bad mistake!! Expensive, very painful, hardly any hair came out & ended up with the wax ripping off a piece of my face. (I had used these 2 products to wax other parts of my body with good results)

Then I came across this video on youtube: YouTube - My Turkish Beard Waxing
and this gave me confidence. (didn't know if that video was fake or not, as the guy didn't seem to have much hair to begin with!!! lol)
Anyways, i remember seeing Nair's Stripless Warm Wax at the local drug mart. Went and picked it up. This is the product that finally worked!!! Don't know if there are others that would do the job better, but the stripless warm wax did the trick.

Now, let me tell you, I did this myself (ouch). It took close to 8 hours to complete (had to take breaks in between to keep myself from passing out because of the excruciating pain!!!). But the results were awesome!!! Here's the technique I used (combination of techniques I'd seen/experienced at Martial arts & piercing sessions!! lol). I rolled my tongue backwards (so you don't accidentally bite off a piece of it) & bit my teeth together, took a deep breath & rip off the wax while exhaling .... oh btw, did i mention I didn't take any painkillers or skin-numbing cream prior to it???? (lol ..... please do anything u can to minimize the pain .... u'll need it!!!). Very painful, very frustrating. You have to keep washing your face with soap regularly to keep it oil/sweat free throughout the procedure. After the session, I used polysporin (antibiotic oinment) for 3 days to prevent infection & improve healing. Waited 24 hrs after before using an exfoliating facial scrub to keep the pores clean & unclogged. And that was it!! It works well! Very little breakout on the face which went away in a couple days.

Now here's the good part: it took almost 3 weeks before the hair started growing back (wow!!!! that's freakin crazy ....... 3 weeks of no shaving! unheard of!!). And when it did, it was, for lack of a proper word, 'baby hairs' like the hair that started growing when coming of age. The second wax session was eeeeeeeeeeasy!!!!! sweet!!! almost like waxing any other part of the body! And it takes longer & longer for the hair to grow back everytime. And what grows back seems finer & finer ... very easy to wax!

So, there you go! Enjoy!

Thanks to your post, i summoned the courage to wax my own beard. Im middle eastern so i have a thick and dense beard like most middle eastern men do. In total it tooke me 8-9 hours to finish.

I bought Nair Divine Stripless wax and some Polysporin.

I didnt use any painkillers so certain parts of the beard where excruciatingly painful.

I started with my right cheek, moved up to my sideburn and moved down. I made rapid progress and i though id be done in 3-4 hours. Boy was i wrong.

The hair underneath the chin was stubborn, but eventuall came off. The hairs around the chin where

The most painful hairs to wax was definitely the upper lips. Dear god, i actually gave up and tweexed the rest of my upper lip.

The hair in the general area around the mouth take a long time to take off.

I started getting really tired by the end of the waxing session, almost as if i just ran a marathon. I also started to feel like I was losing my sanity.

Something that was annoying was that i had to keep reheating the wax.

As painful and frustrating as waxing my beard was, I finally actually look good.

I look so nasty after i shave, my face gets all green and oily.

I hope your right about it being easier and less painful the second time

I have grown to hate shaving, seems to really damage my skin. I occasionally pluck my beard and the benefits are fantastic, so smooth and soft. Can be a little painful, but I kind of like it. Reminds me of when I had my nipples pierced. It's that old pleasure/pain phenomenon! I have found that some hairs have started growing back white, killing the follicle maybe?
Quick question, is nipple waxing ok?

Quick question, is nipple waxing ok?
Hi, chest waxing is a healthy proportion of my business. I've not lost any nipples yet!

No wax needs to be be applied to the actual nipple - and good pressure to numb the discomfort should be applied immediately.

Ask any potential therapist exactly what the process is. Any doubt - walk away.

p.s. free nostril and ear tutorials here; Learning

Jx

So many places to wax but there is a reason for nose hair.

So many places to wax but there is a reason for nose hair.

Indeed. You will find there are two ways people use to wax nose hair ... the right way, and the wrong way.

The right way is as Jason describes in his link above, this is only to remove unsightly hairs that are sticking out of the nostril. The ones that a lot of guys would either trim or pluck.

The wrong way is to use a cotton bud dipped in wax and then pushed up into the nostril to remove the hairs much further into the nose. This is wrong on many levels!!

Mat

Ah ok, it's just that I saw some before and after pictures of a nose wax and the latter actually got rid of the hair that traps all the particles that enter the nose.

Is that really popular?

Nostril waxing is one of my most popular treatments :)

I find nose and ear waxes are popular treatments, especially when the guy is already in for another treatment, it's a good add on and I charge slightly less than a brow wax

Last edited:
I use soft wax for the nostrils all the time with no problems!

help please, need to remove facial hair,upper cheek sides and above eyebrow.. the regions mentioned have been shaved using philips shaver 2.8 years back during their infancy.

i was thinking waxing... does it fasten the groeth, what precautions i ought to take
how often would i need to wax. any thing else i need to know.. am in chennai... am planning to go to "naturals".

the upper cheek region has been frequently trimmed..it grows like nomal beard.. please help

My personal experiences of waxing my own facial hair was that for the 1st hair cycle or so it would grow back thinner but not by much. It's definitely much shorter than it used to be. Left to grow it could get to a few inches, now it rarely gets past 1 or 2. In some regions there my have been a little permanent thinning but not where the hair has always been thickest over my lip and chin.

I've no idea what chennai is and to be frank no idea how often you'll have to do it. I'd say for me it's 10 days before it starts to show again and maybe 10 or 20 more before you've anything like enough length to pull out with hard wax. I'd expect your experience to vary.

As far as I know no one does this professionally so as for precautions you'll just have to learn like I did by trial and error.

help please, need to remove facial hair,upper cheek sides and above eyebrow.. the regions mentioned have been shaved using philips shaver 2.8 years back during their infancy.

i was thinking waxing... does it fasten the groeth, what precautions i ought to take
how often would i need to wax. any thing else i need to know.. am in chennai... am planning to go to "naturals".

the upper cheek region has been frequently trimmed..it grows like nomal beard.. please help

code warrior you said "now it rarely gets past 1 or 2"... didnt get that

I have a few clients who have their beard waxed and it's easy. You must use hot wax and be sure to follow the direction of hair growth.

Most male clients have their brows, nostrils and ears wax as a package. x

Nostril waxing is one of my most popular treatments :)

I love doing it but don't have any interest in it. I make my husband have it though ha ha!

Latest posts

Back