Mineral Makeup- your thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jogels

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing some mineral make up. From what I have researched and asked cosmeticians about, it seems like it is something that really interests me. I have looked at threee different companies- Cover fx, Physcian's Formula and Amore.

Do any of you use it and if so, have you noticed any visible results.

I like the idea that is has sunscreen in it and that it doesn't have any perfumes etc in it. I have also heard that it lasts on the skin all day long. I hate it when my foundation ends up on my shirt collars! It is a little pricey but is sounds like a little dab goes a long way.

I'm so looking forward to your comments.

I started using a mineral based foundation about six months ago, and I must say, my skin loves it. I am an acne sufferer, and foundations always just irritated it and made it worse... I use Physicians formula.

I use Krush Mineral Cosmetics and i cant rave about it enough. I tried a few different mineral make ups but this stuff is fantastic. Great coverage, looks and feels like silk and the blushes, eyeshadows and luminisers are lovely as well. :green:

I.d Bare escentuals is THE best IMO.
All the others have copied it,and its the ORIGINAL mineral make up dated way back to when it started in 1976 in sunny california.

Yoe see all the others now have gone onto the band wagon,but bare minerals has remained in its swirl tap buff method since the beginning,NO lanolin NO fillers NO binders No chemicals NO preservatives NO additives NO oils,just dewy unmade up skin thats enhanced by the minerals....hmmmmmi sshould be on a shopping chanell i think NOT...lol:eek:

Jane Iredale is also a good brand to look at. As is glominerals x

Jane Iredale is also a good brand to look at. As is glominerals x

I love the Jane Iredale mineral make up. As a customer not a beauty therapist.
I have the Liquid Minerals foundation, I ony use it when I am going out for the day, into the evening...as it really lasts from morning to night.
For most days I just use the pure pressed base powder...and I absolutely love the coverage it gives whilst giving a natural look.
It looks and feels great.

I.d Bare escentuals is THE best IMO.
All the others have copied it,and its the ORIGINAL mineral make up dated way back to when it started in 1976 in sunny california.

Yoe see all the others now have gone onto the band wagon,but bare minerals has remained in its swirl tap buff method since the beginning,NO lanolin NO fillers NO binders No chemicals NO preservatives NO additives NO oils,just dewy unmade up skin thats enhanced by the minerals....hmmmmmi sshould be on a shopping chanell i think NOT...lol:eek:

Totally agree with this. I started using Bare Escentuals about 3 months ago and its the best foundation I've ever used. I haven't had a spot on my face since using it (wait for it ---- I'll be plastered in them tomorrow:lol:!!)

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've got it, its the quickest foundation to apply and gives excellent coverage.

I love it!!!:Love:

by far the most fantastic is i.d bare minerals, great results, nice price

it is difficult to use to begin with but as long as you keep at it you see fantastic results

I have the Liquid Minerals foundation, I ony use it when I am going out for the day, into the evening...as it really lasts from morning to night.
For most days I just use the pure pressed base powder...and I absolutely love the coverage it gives whilst giving a natural look.

100% agree with you.

Also if you are looking to stock make up, Jane Iredales' start up costs are a damn sight more reasonable than some of the others !

So if Jane Irdale is mineral based why have a "liquid mineral foundation?"
It would be interesting to know the ingredients in this product as "liquid" conjurs up a light bulb for me:eek:

Totally agree with this. I started using Bare Escentuals about 3 months ago and its the best foundation I've ever used. I haven't had a spot on my face since using it (wait for it ---- I'll be plastered in them tomorrow:lol:!!)

It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've got it, its the quickest foundation to apply and gives excellent coverage.

Claire- do you apply it with a brush?

I've heard of the Jane Iredale line. Has anyone tried Amore or Physcians Formula? The one I looked at the other day, Cover fx, was made in Toronto Canada at a hospital It's only sold at Shopper's Drug marts. They do have a website for it.

I love mineral make up but I've found that it can be quite drying on mature skin (I'm 48). I thought I looked gorge when I last wore it but when I looked back at the photo's, I deffo looked a bit Mother Theresa round the mouth. HTH. x

Claire- do you apply it with a brush?

I've heard of the Jane Iredale line. Has anyone tried Amore or Physcians Formula? The one I looked at the other day, Cover fx, was made in Toronto Canada at a hospital It's only sold at Shopper's Drug marts. They do have a website for it.

In answer jogels,you do apply it with a brush.
Tap a little into the lid and swirl it around this picks up th minerals and your brush is fully loaded.Tap the brush and then buff it on your face,you can start with a little and build it up doing the "swirl tap buff" method.
You will be amazed at the coverage you can acieve without having that gloopy feeling of traditional liquid foundations.
My answer to it is if you are using good skincare you should be complementing it with good make up and that is what bare minerals is it isnt purely make up i see it as an extension of good skincare thats why it sells like crazy here at the salon,because you get results and your skin feels like skin not piles of gloopy make up,and believe me ive worked with many french skincare lines that do make up as an extension of thier fragrance and skincare.

However thier make up isnt always what they are always famous for.

I hope you find the advice useful:)

In what way does it take getting used to?? I've never used a mineral make up before, but am always open to new stuff!! Btw, my skin is sensitive and getting drier as I get older.......(nearly 37:eek: ) - do you (or any skin geeks) think it would be suitable?

In what way does it take getting used to?? I've never used a mineral make up before, but am always open to new stuff!! Btw, my skin is sensitive and getting drier as I get older.......(nearly 37:eek: ) - do you (or any skin geeks) think it would be suitable?

Well im 35 this year vetty i know the feeling:eek:
im wrinkle phobic and i love the bare minerals and even put it INTO the lines....not that i have any:lol:

Some people look at the minearls and sy oh its a powder foundation but its not!
There is NO powder.And if you buff it on the skin and KEEP buffing it goes t a "liquid creme" texture and make s your skin dewy...i LOVE the med beige and alteranate it to medium shade but ive even worn the tan colour you CANT go wrong with it and it leaves NO demarcation line

Every girl and guy needs it IMO:green:

Having used Bare Escentuals for the last 3 years I now use Jane Iredale and imo there is no comparison I used to think BE was the most wonderful product ever (and it is very good stuff) but Jane Iredale is in a league of it's own.

BE I found did not have an easy to locate ingredient listing,as all the products I have did not contain one, however Jane Iredale provides ingredients for all products.

hth's

I have checked out both websites. Thanks for the info. Both companies look like the products are top 'o the line. In Canada, it seems the only distributers for Jane Iredale are in Edmonton so that would be tricky to color match etc. That 'liquid foundation" looks really cool! I am still looking for the i.d. bare minerals in Canada (other than on our favorite... ebay!)

I too have fairly dry skin in some areas, I would hate to accentuate any lines I do have. I will keep this in mind when I am out 'mineral hunting'.

I haven't looked at the eyeshadows yet, just the basic foundation and blushers. I ALWAYS have trouble with the shadows creasing and /or not lasting very long. Can you comment on the eyecolors? I would also appreciate if one of you geeks could check out the Amore product to see what you think of it. Amore International - 100% natural mineral makeup, skin care, the ultimate gel nail system Go to the Color Sense link.

thx for the replies:)

What exactly are the minerals? Is it something ground down?

Which skin is it better suited to?

I'm allergic to everything! and I have found mineral cosmetics to be the best....Jane Iredale saved me .....my skin has never looked better .....easy to apply , no greasy mess ....all powders and brushes...love it!

Latest posts

Back