My daughter (age 12) has just had a fish pedicure, so angry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People need to leave their 'opinions' behind...as that is all they are, and is likely to upset the poor woman who started this post.

Every parent uses their judgement on what their childs maturity levels are. If they are sensible enough, and they are with a group of similarly mature friends, reachable at all times, then who has the right to judge. There are plenty of 16 year olds that are incapable of being let out alone...but they still are. If she perseives her daughter as mature enough, then whos place is it to compare some 12 year olds with someone none of you have ever met?

All they did was put their feet in a bowl full of fish...in a small safe town. She is fine, her friends are fine. If she wanted chritisism on her parenting skills, she would have gone onto a parenting forum.

I'll leave this thread alone now, as it is annoying me. People are just so self ritious and full of judgement. :evil: Be kind people. :(

There are plenty of 16 year olds that are incapable of being let out alone...but they still are.

You make an excellent point! :)

Let's hope Garra Ruffa fish aren't like Goldfish...

Our little Goldfish is a little poo machine and the thought of putting my feet in for a nice, relaxing pedicure makes me feel like this :Scared: if there was a pukey smiley, I'd have gone for that!! :)

can this post now be closed, its gone totally off topic and got completely out of hand .. im sure everyone is fed up with it now ;)

im not concerned with other peoples opinions re: my daughter going out with her friends age 12, i tried to justify my decision at first as i felt my parenting skills were being attacked but i dont for a second doubt or regret my decision, and so thats all that matters really .. period

i am however shocked that so many beauty 'professionals' feel its not a big deal for a salon to carry out a treatment to a minor without parental consent .. some of your comments speak volumes

thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread, thank you to those who have supported me on this thread and via pm and to the others .. you're entitled to your opinions, and i too sincerely wish you all the best :)

Last edited:
can this post now be closed, its gone totally off topic and got completely out of hand .. im sure everyone is fed up with it now ;)

If you were the person who started this thread, you can actually close it yourself without waiting for the team to do it. X

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

There isn't an age limit but the insurance is invalid if there is not parental consent

Just for your peace of mind regards the insurance, I haven't seen a fish pedicure insurance policy that requires parental consent to be valid, in fact it would be a fairly hard to police exclusion, and probably in breach of TCF.

Im not saying they were right to treat your daughter without consent, either. just commenting on the bit I know about...insurance

Well I dont have any children so some of you will probably think 'how can I make a comment?' One thing I do try to be and that is a PROFESSIONAL Beauty & Holistic Therapist! What are these people thinking! really they could be putting themselves in a very dangerous position - what if something went wrong with the treatment! they would not be covered by their insurance and they would be known as having no regard for their clientle. And what if some child claim inapporiate behaver by the Therapist.
We live in a society that is known for suing, surely they need to be aware of protecting their business as well as the clients health and saftey.
And there is no point saying oh but I have been CRB checked - it means nothing except for the fact that on the day of the CRB check your record up until then was clear, I have heard people using this as an ok to treat children without parents consent. I go one step further and insisit that the parent is present - some when they get to know us may sit in the lounge area outside the treatment room, but I do insist on parents being present.

I would at least ring the salon and discuss this with them. If you say it was a young Therapist it may not necessarily be the owner of the Salon,
could it be that the owner was not aware this happened? I would at least talk with the owner/manager first.

I think you should simply tell your daughter that you're not happy with her going there and ask her not to go again. However she's at least tried something new, you should be grateful you have an outgoing daughter who's willing to try new things! It didn't hurt her, just express your concern about it in a non-angry way.

oops didn't realise this thread was so far back!! sorry! :o

just the thought of those fish nibbling on someone's infected feet, verruca etc etc, and then nibbling on mine, is enough to make me NOT want one of those! :)
We do have to check the feet first for these contra-indications not just for the clients but also the fish has it would kill them and at £100 for 20 i wouldn't risk it. The problem with the fish is not the treatment it's self but how the people run it i think

Wow, have just read this thread right through from beginning to end . . . how interesting! Made good reading :biggrin:

Totally support the OP in all her views. I have a 12 year old who is allowed into town and out with friends . . . we stay in touch by mobile too and I think it's important for them to have their freedom. They are sensible and not immature and our area like all areas cannot be guaranteed safe but I don't consider it too risky . .. . NOT that it's any business of anyone except me and my family and I cannot BELIEVE some of the judgmental posts on here. Anyway I digress, (although it did make me cross).

The real matter is of the fish pedi. . . . totally agree they should not have done this. Agree about the insurance issue. And anyway out of common courtesy to every other mum out there I would NOT do nails on someone under age without parental consent and expect the same back although it seems I would be sorely disappointed in some cases.

I don't think the op has done anything wrong at all and I think people on here disgussing parenting skills have no right wot so ever every parent has to gv there child some responsibility there is nothing wrong with that the fish spa has a lot to answer to ie letting a child have a treatment I would be livid I will put this out there if you had a 12 year old child ask you for nail enhancements would you do it even though they are underage and have no permission from. Parent no you wouldn't ...........well I hope you wouldn't so what's the difference with a fish ped I ask.I'm totally with you op you are clearly a very good mum and have a great relationship wiv your daughter the fish place should be ashamed xxxx

hi
sorry for reserecting this old post, thankyou so much for the last few posts of support really appreciate it .. have only just read them, as i actually stopped coming on salon geek i was so upset by some of the posters comments and think it all got way out of hand - but i have decided its the other posters problem and not mine, i know im a good parent and thats all that matters.. i have actually quite missed sg so have decided to come back. the fish spa actually went out of business shortly after xmas following a spate of complaints. i wont gloat over their loss of business and livelyhood, thats just not my style, i just hope they'll think twice about how they run their business if they decide to open up again :)

Can I just say I work in a salon that has fish and people are made to wash their feet in a foot spa and they are not aloud to have a pedicure unless they do not have any contraindications for examples, swelling, cuts, bruises, skin deseases etc. Therefore, there would be no cross infection and the tanks are cleaned all the time and filtered out.

hi blush09,
i bet you wish you hadn't posted a comment, i'm amazed how they quickly spiral off the original post, with questions leading to other questions, when they should really stick to the point .
I have been looking up cos i remember covering age consent at college and there is another post where someone is asking about it - Legal age of consent is 18 so under written consent is needed and when treating a minor under the age of 16 they should have an adult present.
Saying that i have just looked through my insurance policy and all i can find is for nail extensions under 14 written consent is needed or under 16 for su-do body art. So i am going to clarify myself i suppose each treatment differs, but i do know to cover yourself and any 'indecent claims' minors are suppose to have someone present.
Whether your daughter was out with her freinds and been given the money or not etc etc i understand your point entirely in the fact that should it have been allowed and i would have clarified with the local authorites and 'mentioned' to them. It will still be happening throughout:rolleyes:

Wow, have just read this thread right through from beginning to end . . . how interesting! Made good reading :biggrin:

Totally support the OP in all her views. I have a 12 year old who is allowed into town and out with friends . . . we stay in touch by mobile too and I think it's important for them to have their freedom. They are sensible and not immature and our area like all areas cannot be guaranteed safe but I don't consider it too risky . .. . NOT that it's any business of anyone except me and my family and I cannot BELIEVE some of the judgmental posts on here. Anyway I digress, (although it did make me cross).

The real matter is of the fish pedi. . . . totally agree they should not have done this. Agree about the insurance issue. And anyway out of common courtesy to every other mum out there I would NOT do nails on someone under age without parental consent and expect the same back although it seems I would be sorely disappointed in some cases.

Also just read this through and would like to second everything blossom said way back then.

Glad to hear it went out of business. I'm sure there'll be less people crowding round the fish pedicure stand at Professional Beauty this weekend - if they're even there.

Latest posts

Back