Nail Gems positioned around the smile line

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katlu

Reaction score
A client is getting married in July and wants nail enhancements. I was going to do pink and white with diamonds on the ring fingers, then finish of with NSI glaze n go. She has now asked for diamonds to be positioned around the smile lines of every finger. My only concern is how do I keep the diamonds in place, I fear they may move about during or before applying glaze n go. I have read that some people use glue.....how do you pick up a tiny stone and apply glue to it? Any easy suggestions. I have awful visions of myself spending hours trying to keep the fiddly nail gems in place.

I myself would use an orange stick to apply a tiny dot of nail tip glue, then use a separate orange stick with a bit of bluetak on to pick up the gem, then place carefully hth:)

Hiya - the design sounds lovely. I use a nail art sealer which also has a high gloss. 1 coat on first then the gems stick very easily to it (apply with dotting tool / orange stick / stick of spaghetti.... older thread - lol) and then finish with 1 or 2 coats of nail art sealer. Did gems on mine recently and they lasted 2 weeks until I filed them off. HTH :) Linds x

agree with whatever is said by anyone, but i NEVER topcoat gems (it gives them an instant plastic look) I secure them in wet polish, then do topcoat just around them (but not over them) this way they will look (and reflect)like diamonds rather than tacky plastic stones.

I bought a picker upperer!!! Yes that is its proper name, it was only about £3!!

Ahh, yes, sounds good to me. Will have a little practice beforehand. I feel at ease already. The awful visions of chasing nail gems for hours and trying to make them stay put is slowly disappearing............thank you both very much.

agree with whatever is said by anyone, but i NEVER topcoat gems (it gives them an instant plastic look) I secure them in wet polish, then do topcoat just around them (but not over them) this way they will look (and reflect)like diamonds rather than tacky plastic stones.

I won't be using nail polish. So would you secure them in the way tracey suggested.......a dot of glue???

I bought a picker upperer!!! Yes that is its proper name, it was only about £3!!

I will try the blue tack or spaghetti option as I don't have a picker upper......out of interest, where did you get yours from?

Firstly, I pick my gems up with an orange stick just dipped in a little bit of water (you can have it beside you in a dappen dish). It picks the little glitter critters up no problem if slightly wet.

You can place the gems on to the enhancement with a teeny dot of nail adhesive or nail art sealant. The adhesive dries quicker. It does not ruin the natural nail as you will already have your base layer down first.

I have applied nail gems and they stay on till I buff them off. With an orangewood stick i dab a tiny dob of top coat (glue seems to spread out and become messy) onto the nail where i want the gems to sit and then gently place them in it also with orangewood stick.
and same as Carl I dont top gloss over them. Takes away the sparkle instantly and makes them look a bit tacky
hth
Karen

Hi hun
When i got married last year i had crystals and glitter tips on my nail ,and did it myself, i put a thin line of top coat on the smile line and with a cocktail stick with bluetack on the end , i placed my stone, then i went over the nail with top coat,when it was dry i then when over again with top coat ,about three time to stop them comeing off.They lasted for two weeks untill i changed the style.They looked good. go for it hun.Good luck.xx

Just use your Glaze 'n' go, I do !!

I put on a thin coat, put diamonds on then cure, then apply more over the top, works a treat.:green:

I used to use a pencil with a little rubber on the end, before a bought a picker upper thingy bob! lol

Hiyah

I use a coctail stick too, but ive never been able to keep the stones on for long no matter if I used top coat or nail art sealer so I now I use Aqua Dots for my bridal nails as nothing is more embarassing if you lost a stone in their wedding cake lol these look like diamontes confetti and still catch the light and look really sparkly.

hth
Sue :)

I was just wondering .....can you put a thin coat of l & p on ..place the gems with adhesive, then l & p over the top..so they are actually in the enhancement rather than protruding off the surface of the enhancement?

I was just wondering .....can you put a thin coat of l & p on ..place the gems with adhesive, then l & p over the top..so they are actually in the enhancement rather than protruding off the surface of the enhancement?

I've never tried it but I really don't think they would look very nice.

I will try the blue tack or spaghetti option as I don't have a picker upper......out of interest, where did you get yours from?

Got it from M&S, but sure other wholesalers will have them if there isn't one near you.

I normaly place the gems in the finishing gloss, pick them up with the point of my brush no problem and placed them on the nail and then in the UV lamp, you can use at top gloss on both gel and L&P and like NailZoo said i never put gloss over the gems only around them :)

Got it from M&S, but sure other wholesalers will have them if there isn't one near you.

I am sorry I had to laugh I had to read this reply twice I thought you meant
you had bought the spaggetti from marks & spencers:lol:
just me having a moment:smack:
I use the good old cocktail stick (from tesco lol sorry!) and blu tak
and use nail glue I too do not top coat over the gems as it does dull
them imo.

Just use your Glaze 'n' go, I do !!

I put on a thin coat, put diamonds on then cure, then apply more over the top, works a treat.:green:

I used to use a pencil with a little rubber on the end, before a bought a picker upper thingy bob! lol
i would also use glaze n go or something like it to apply the diamontes too.i use my dotting tool to pick them up as you just need to wet the end slightly,its so easy.:)

NSI sell picker uppers too, I did have one until I broke the little rubber bit off the end, now I just use a wet orange stick, works just as well for me.

Latest posts

Back