nails done at nss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried a nss nail bar but this was about 2 months ago

I had never been in a nail bar before dident know anything about nails etc, i was only getting a spray on nail art french mani for a wedding, but his finger nails were FILTHY!, also when it came to lightly filing my nails he just picked a nail file up out of a jar with a load of others, didnt see him disenfect this file or anything, then about a month after i started studying nails and also a couple of weeks ago found this site THANK GOD I DID!

There is no way on this earth i would go back willingly to a nss nail bar and cant understand why anybody else who is even slightly educated in nail hygine or who has even browse this website never mind a actual nail tec could go and put them selves through this, what did you hope to achieve? you should of known what a nss nail bar's standards are like, so why did you feel like you actually needed to go and have a treatment there? and i think the price that you paid was an quite alot, lets just hope you dont lose out on customers because its not like you can now advertise you nails as your own work. TJMO.

thanxs for all your opinions lots of them yes it was the one where my client went back to as she told me they do them how they are supposed to look and last??As like the point i am trying to make is she did not care that i did a proper prep made sure everything was sanatized and was really carefull with her natural nail.What she cared about was having a set of nails put on in 40 mins that dont break she is not botherd that they push your cuticle back with there nail and they use e-files on your nail plates.I had 3 clients last week all who had been there the stupid one went back one wont as she had a lot of pain the other one was really pleased with hers and hopefully will come back to me.So yes curiosity got the better of ME??Am i stupid no but was yesterday will i go back NO do i regret it no as now i can tell my clients if they ask about it.I do hope i dont get anything nasty will i ask for your help NO.

Sounds like the criticism has been a bitter pill, or am I just tired and not seeing clearly?

Never mind you getting something nasty, I, like I said in my post am more concerned with your clients getting something through your curiosity. Cross-infection is not something to be taken lightly, and I pity your clients in not knowing you could have possible infection in your own nails whilst doing theres.

Good Lord!

Okay can I throw a little question into the melting pot here? Everyone has had their say on how they feel about Kay having this done. BUT what the hell are we going to do if these guys do get their act together? What if they do get their sanitation sorted, and stop shagging the nail plate? The guy obviously did a fab looking set of nails - far better than many non NSS techs achieve by the sounds of it. So how would you compete with them earning £35 for 40 minutes work to whatever you do? ... and producing fab looking work?

If you wanted to see application then u could of hung about staring in the window.

I did this at our local nss and the woman who i think was the receptionist came out and was trying to sit me down in one of their chairs!! i legged it out of there!!!

Sassy has a very good point. im not for NSS but you said yourself he did a fab set of nails in 40mins - if he got his health and hygiene and learned 'proper' prep theb you wanna be worried - you got some serious competition there!! xx

That is a very good point sassy.I do not rave on about these salons some of my clients do yes he did a good set of nails better than mine i hate to say im just to honest BUT that is all. hygine no prep no and i dont know how they get away with it but they do and they make a lot of money out of it.If they did get there act together or where made to then yes there would be a lot of competition out there.

But if they got their act together and started using proper prep and practising proper sanitation then they would take longer than the 40 mins, they only do it so quick because of cutting corners.

I have never been to an NSS and I am gobsmacked at the stories of them using a nail to push back the cuticle, oh dear I would not want anybody doing that to me let alone a stranger in a nail salon that may have poor hygeine standards (ie not washing his hands after the loo!) yuck yuck yuck!

But if they got their act together and started using proper prep and practising proper sanitation then they would take longer than the 40 mins, they only do it so quick because of cutting corners.
I agree, I also believe that they are only in it for a quick buck and can't imagine them sticking around to do the job properly even if they had too.

I agree Jac, I don't think they will, like you say it's about the money not the job. BUT I thought it was an interesting little diversion :lol: and food for thought!

I said this earlier in the thread... Sounds like he has done a good job and yes these technicians have great techniques. It isn't the problem. Its the sanitation and health and safety issues.... and the fact that SOME (not all by the way) use MMA products. HEALTH AND SAFETY. They will have to add about 30 to 40 mins (min) to their time to carry this out per client (consultation, prep then application of 40 mins). Taking them up to the average of 1.5 hrs per client. Then changing desk towels and cleaning up the desk, washing hands etc.
I would not be worried about them "cleaning up their acts". I would be pleased. It would ADD to GOOD competition amongst the salons..... but rather that than NSS! Honestly.

Talking about prep, this is my experience with no prepping,
I mean... Ok, I am gonna tell you something now.... (please dont hang me) :cry:

A while back we were going to a wedding. I had done my nails the night before but didnt have time to do the art or seal with a top layer of clear acrylic. I was gonna do it that morning.

Anyway, the same night, the cheif bridesmaid was balling. she had stuck on these pre designed tips(must have bought them from boots or something) and didnt have any spare when one fell off.

She was devertstated that her thumb would look so odd for her sisters big day and as a last resort she begged me to sculpt a tip for her.
I had only brought up the product to finish my own nails, I hadnt brought the prep stuff, scrubfresh, or anything like it! However, I wanted to help and after a brief 'buff' created the nail, painted french and she was happy they matched again. I told her it probably wont last more than a few days..

well last night she texted me.... and to tell you the truth I had completely forgotten I had ever done it for her.
She said that after 7 WEEKS the nail had finally fell off!! :eek:
I was a bit stunned really because of no prep etc.. so why was that?

we are drummed that prep is so important etc... and the hygiene, risks and all.. but if these NSS salons dont use prep, is that cos they cut corners?

Anyway, do these salons dont think its necessary? cos as you can imagine I was very confused.:rolleyes:

Poor prep is one of the major causes of lifting. But if a client's nail is free of non living tissue then of course there is nothing to remove anyway, just a case of remove shine and scrubfresh, could be you were lucky. NSS just file off all the non living tissue ... and half the nail plate!

I applied sculpts to myself and was in a rush. Didnt prep my thumb and one other finger - I was practicing the sculpting and was gonna remove in due course.
Anyway. Still on after ages! HOWEVER the ones that were not prepped have lifted around the cuticle area. The others have not at all.
She said she has lost it after 7 weeks. Now during this time it could of been lifing all over the place but stayed on. A prepped nail will grow out with no lifting.
If she had NO lifing at all then you were very lucky. This is NOT gonna be the case overall.
Prep is important to remove as much of the dead skin off the nail as possible, as well as the bacteria. If you don't then you WILL get greenies. You know that much. xx

I applied sculpts to myself and was in a rush. Didnt prep my thumb and one other finger - I was practicing the sculpting and was gonna remove in due course.
Anyway. Still on after ages! HOWEVER the ones that were not prepped have lifted around the cuticle area. The others have not at all.
She said she has lost it after 7 weeks. Now during this time it could of been lifing all over the place but stayed on. A prepped nail will grow out with no lifting.
If she had NO lifing at all then you were very lucky. This is NOT gonna be the case overall.
Prep is important to remove as much of the dead skin off the nail as possible, as well as the bacteria. If you don't then you WILL get greenies. You know that much. xx

Yeah, she said that it had lifting but only in the last week, and at the side, a very little amount, hardly noticable. It only 'popped' off cos she caught it whilst lifting a box into her car she said, and I suppose it would have grown out quite a way after 7 weeks! Must have been lucky..the once! :hug:

i dont think kay was praising the nss... nor do i think she she agreed with the nss so much that she wanted her nails done by them.. she was simply saying that the man in the nss had very good APPLICATION skills... and we all know that it takes much more than great application skills to become a good nail tech...

i also think that sassy made a very good point in mentioning that IF somehow the nss were to polish up on their hygiene etc... we will all then be very worried...

i use to go to a local Nss regularly to have my nails done, this was at a time i didnt know any better and it was through getting a greenie and haveing so much damage to my nails that i got in to studying nails myself, the last time i went, before going to colege i asked for the nails to be removed, this was dont by flicking them off with a spare tip:eek: :cry: , it was very very painfull and took a long time to recover (about 5 months for nails to be back to normal)

at the time i didnt know it was a nss as i knew nothing about the nail industry but it has made me more determined to do a correct job on my clients

Good Lord!

Okay can I throw a little question into the melting pot here? Everyone has had their say on how they feel about Kay having this done. BUT what the hell are we going to do if these guys do get their act together? What if they do get their sanitation sorted, and stop shagging the nail plate? The guy obviously did a fab looking set of nails - far better than many non NSS techs achieve by the sounds of it. So how would you compete with them earning £35 for 40 minutes work to whatever you do? ... and producing fab looking work?

This is a really valid point Sassy. The things these salons do badly i.e. prep & sanitation and use of MMA are easy things to remedy on their part. Often their skills applying nails and nail art are fab and a lot better than lots of HSS techs.

If (and its a very big "if") standards are brought in that they have to abide by, their skills could knock a lot of reputable techs out of the business??? However, if we are really interested in the health of the natural nail for all, then this could be a consequence we have to suffer.

wat you do in ur own time is your own business tracy...:eek: :lol:

i meant before i got in to nails, i didnt know any better, it was going there that got me doing nail now

OMG I FEEL A TOTAL A88 NOW, PMSL

exactly right natalie..and factor in the price hike for extra time,decent products and distenfectant..no longer would they appeal to those who want cheap fast nails...this is their whole marketing ploy..it would be wonderful IMO if they got thier act together..but lets face it..they dont care..and while they can get away with, it they will...theres always uneducated walk ins to keep those profits coming in.

Latest posts

Back