Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking some of you may look at my profile now so Im off to make sure it is up to date!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Ha Ha - Just what I was thinking.... must check mine.
I was scared to post at first, I was beauty qualified / training (cant remember which) when I joined this site and thanks to good advice, went down the right nail route for me. I have since done NVQ2 nail technology, Calgel training- I have had Creative training with Brisa Gel and am doing NVQ3 Nail services at the moment. I love nails, as some guys know, I lost my job in October at a salon which has slowed me down a bit but I know its what I want to do.
I love this site and would be lost without it, I'm sure even the best techs feel the same.

Oh my god I am a newbie and I hope no1 thinks I am a fake, I am a qualified level 3 beauty therapist, I am Elemis trained and also trained in Bali-sun (spray tanning) and my most recent qualification is CALGEL I have fallen in love with this site and cant keep away, I love looking at the nail art and pickin up tips on my journey through the daily threads! I have asked questions but I hope they werent questions that made me look suspicious and a fake. I have found out so much on here ie popits which i never knew existed, nail canes and plenty more. I just wanted to add my bit and from here I am going to fill out my profile in more detail so people can see I am 100% genuine. I understand where people are coming from cos it makes me slightly annoyed that ppl cud be here asking questions and teaching themselves and potentially be taken our business but i dont think there is much we can do about it. Anyway I will stop waffling on and I must say I feel like I am in court pleading I am not guilty!! I hope to speak to you all soon x

Hi I think even if newbies read all they can and ask questions, there is no way they can be legit nail techs as without courses, practise and insurance customers wouldn't stay with them surely. They may try to do nails but would just end up flat on their faces with a lot of complaints. :)

When you think of the amount of problems trained techs have and the sheer effort of will they have to summon up to climb the path to a decent set of nails, not forgetting how much it has cost them in time and training, I can't see many untrained newbies having the stamina to stay the course and produce anything worth selling to the general public? I don't imagine them being any serious competition in the long run.

I should think there's a lot of us who've asked seemingly daft questions at the beginning, but we <and everyone else> can gradually see progress. If I were untrained, I'd rapidly get fed up with the consistently substandard work I know I'd be churning out. Goodness knows, I've had enough difficulties with nails to try to overcome and I 'Am' trained!! :lol:

Oh my god I am a newbie and I hope no1 thinks I am a fake, I am a qualified level 3 beauty therapist, I am Elemis trained and also trained in Bali-sun (spray tanning) and my most recent qualification is CALGEL I have fallen in love with this site and cant keep away, I love looking at the nail art and pickin up tips on my journey through the daily threads! I have asked questions but I hope they werent questions that made me look suspicious and a fake. I have found out so much on here ie popits which i never knew existed, nail canes and plenty more. I just wanted to add my bit and from here I am going to fill out my profile in more detail so people can see I am 100% genuine. I understand where people are coming from cos it makes me slightly annoyed that ppl cud be here asking questions and teaching themselves and potentially be taken our business but i dont think there is much we can do about it. Anyway I will stop waffling on and I must say I feel like I am in court pleading I am not guilty!! I hope to speak to you all soon x

Oh hun, you are not a fake, people like you and me are what this site is all about, we ask and and we help where we can. Please don't feel like you are in court this wasn't meant to come across like that. :hug:

When i see things like this it puts me off commenting on the site as i feel newbies r often judged
i personally would not give out ny advice unless i was 100% fully trained in that subject

just my thought

linda xx

Oh hun, you are not a fake, people like you and me are what this site is all about, we ask and and we help where we can. Please don't feel like you are in court this wasn't meant to come across like that. :hug:

But threads like this always end up coming across like that to a lot of newbies...that is why I, unlike most of you,don't think it is a good thread.

Fair enough if it had just been a ' FILL OUT YOUR PROFILES!!' thread, but this accusation of people trying to get training on the sly on here is a bit off. Threads like this are counterproductive and scare more potentially good geeks off than the ones it is aimed at.
They have hides like Rhino's and couldn't give a flying fig about filling out their profiles or getting training.
I just don't let it bother me, once I have people like that sussed that's it.

Most newbies that come on here, are full of enthusiasm, but lacking in confidence, and it doesn't take much to scare them off!!

When i see things like this it puts me off commenting on the site as i feel newbies r often judged
just my thought

linda xx

I rest my case.....................

I have really enjoyed reading this thread i would like to say as a sort of newbie myself, there are so many courses to take, picking the right one that in it's self is a mine field, I look on this site for that advice, but you still question if you have picked the right one. I did an EN course which i loved it suited me and now I can sit down when ever i want and practise one nail two, or a hand, I can also practise anything from nail art acrylics or gels. I then also took a one day course which help me pick up a few more bits and i was able to see a few places where I was going wrong. I regard myself as a professional ( now some of you still may not ). But what Im trying to say is I love reading lots of threads on this website as I find it a really useful source of information. I enjoy being part of the nail industry and find as i go along the more I want to know, I am learning all the time by making mistakes looking on this site and seeing that others are making the same mistakes makes me feel that I am not unprofessional.

I agree that we should try to look out for people who buy a kit from argos and then want help as one thread i read some one asked " how hard can nails be to do " people like this should be taken off, if there are any suspicions about people can they not be questiones by pm or email and hopefully that would solve the problem.:Grope:

I agree Izzi and i think there is enough to worry about with saying the wrong thing without having to worry about whether you are upsetting newbies because you are ignoring their questions or any others because you are.Does it really matter.
I think most people can see when a poster is trying it on and they dont get answered or if they do its usually the right answer which is are you trained, or go and get trained.We have all come to an understanding that we don't help with homework and thats respected.
Maybe we should be looking at the content of the site and removing the step to step guides or the video links if we really want to stop helping people to DIY.

I cannot understand why anybody is upset by this thread. If you are trained or training, a newbie or an old hand on here, it is all the same. Good help is available to all.

It is a discussion about those who have had no training, buy their stuff where they can, just start doing nails, and then come on here asking those of us who are trained to solve their problems.

If you are serious about nails and in training or trained, why would it upset you ?

I cannot understand why anybody is upset by this thread. If you are trained or training, a newbie or an old hand on here, it is all the same. Good help is available to all.

It is a discussion about those who have had no training, buy their stuff where they can, just start doing nails, and then come on here asking those of us who are trained to solve their problems.

If you are serious about nails and in training or trained, why would it upset you ?

I think this is a daunting site for many new people thats why most people lurk.
Its like walking into a club on your own where most people know eachotherand you know no-one (im using the word you inthe general sense Adele because that would probably never happen :)).You havent necessarily ticked the right boxes or done the right things to get in there but you want to join in and then if you dont do the right thing or ask an acceptable question you are ignored.
People should be guided in the right direction which i think generally happens anyway, quite a few members say please fill out your profiles. How many members would have gone or stayed lurking if they were ignored at the first question because other members thought they were blagging.

Most people lurk on any site to 'get the feel' of the site before they join in ... which is the smart thing to do.

I don't think thesalongeek.com is any more daunting than any other similar type of site. In fact I think thesalongeek.com is a very friendly and welcoming site, as you would expect when populated by people who care allot about others .. which nail techs generally do .. it certainly is not elitist at all.

thesalongeek.com is a teaching site and as such welcomes the trained as well as the training or those contemplating training ..

What we don't welcome are those who scorn and disrespect training and the importance of it and try to slide in the back door and take advantage. I think those points have been made pretty clear and there should be no confusion.

Any genuine person who is trained to a degree, was or is aspiring to enter the industry of nails need not fear any kind of rejection from those on here who want to help.

Something newbies in training have to remember also is not "to jump the gun".

To be curious about something is one thing, but to ask something before your tutor/teacher has shown you or explained many complicate and confuse issues.

I would hate to be teaching someone and they piped up "but they told me different on Salongeek".

I know there is excitement when you start something new, but you should try walking before running.

Respect your teacher/tutors advice ............ then rip them to shreds:) (it's a joke Joyce).

Great thread carl i was thinking the other day god theres alot of threads "creative v ezflow" "bio v bla bla everyone likes different things so how that can be answerd is beyond me. If there was a fee to enter the site would stop most fakers but real people who are training and trained would willingly pay it.Just a thought or would i be wrong go on give it to me lol x

Something newbies in training have to remember also is not "to jump the gun".

To be curious about something is one thing, but to ask something before your tutor/teacher has shown you or explained many complicate and confuse issues.

I would hate to be teaching someone and they piped up "but they told me different on Salongeek".

I know there is excitement when you start something new, but you should try walking before running.

Respect your teacher/tutors advice ............ then rip them to shreds:) (it's a joke Joyce).

Absolutely...now this I agree with!

I always make it a point to say to students that during the course they should direct all questions to me,(it is really a matter of courtesy isn't it?) even afterwards, I am available for technical support.

At the end of the course I would always point them in the direction of this site, as it is a great support for Technicians who are often working on their own once qualified, and can become isolated.

That and the fact if you are having a problem with your nails after 9pm I will be tucked up in my bed, but there are plenty night owls on here to assist!!!!

Great thread carl i was thinking the other day god theres alot of threads "creative v ezflow" "bio v bla bla everyone likes different things so how that can be answerd is beyond me. If there was a fee to enter the site would stop most fakers but real people who are training and trained would willingly pay it.Just a thought or would i be wrong go on give it to me lol x

There's a difference between willing to pay and affording to. If the site was then one of those you go to and it says you have to pay to join it many just would give up and go elsewhere, trained or planning to train. :hug:

Excellent thread.
One of the first &#8220;triggers&#8221; that a newbie is bluffing is from their main question.
For example:
What is better? (product/brand name) comparison?

Or:
I hate (product/brand name) I used it one time in the dark, while healing from major surgery without any type of professional training. You-tube has a great video.
Even:
Some other reason when the products were used one time, at home using the instructions that were in the professional kit that was &#8220;picked up&#8221; at the local dollar store. (Any purchase that is not from a professional supplier)
Sometimes:
Use of misspelled, brand named professional products.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference between willing to pay and affording to. If the site was then one of those you go to and it says you have to pay to join it many just would give up and go elsewhere, trained or planning to train. :hug:

You are right there min11 as that would probly be the case for most people me included ,never thought of that.Good point my mistake :smack:

Maybe we ought to have a newbie welcome day. Come out of the background fill in your profiles tell everyone a little about yourself.
Ask anything you like no matter how worried you are that it might sound silly or something you feel you should know and you will be guaranteed an answer.

it is a great support for Technicians who are often working on their own once qualified, and can become isolated.

Being a Nail Technician can be a very solitary career, many work alone at home and others are shoved in the corner of someone else's salon, left to fend for themselves.

Salongeek is a great place to chat and ask questions/chew the fat with likeminded people.

I think the key issue is sharing .... even if it's just a thought, it's still sharing and it's a 2 way street, it when it's a 1 way street that irks me.

At least an introduction would help soften the initial demand of (show me this, show me that, tell me this, tell me that).

EG:

1. I have just done a course with xxxxxx and I can't quite get my head around xxxxx.
  2. I've just done a course and I'm having some issues with xxxx
  3. I'm thinking of doing a course with xxxx, any suggestions?
  4. I completed a course 2 months ago and I'm having some lifting issues.
You get my drift ..... it's a question by someone that's genuinely interested, with a little bit of thought behind it, rather than posting what can be seen as a demand for information without a reason.

Soften it .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back