Newbies Bluffing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble is without having a regulated nail industry how can we have a regulated website??!! For what it's worth I also check profiles and get frustrated by those that have no info in them. The threads that get up my nose are the 'where can I buy things cheap' ones......

I do believe that any un-trained people learning via this site will either get bored and frustrated with the results and give up or realise they need training and go and get some.

Great thread!

I don't know what to make of this as i am a newbie here and finding it a very usefull site. It dose make me as a newbie feel uneasy about being on here. Since i trained in december i have not actually done anyones nails other than friends and family. For lack of time what with two young children. I spend a lot of time watching nailzoo's videos and trying to better my technique so that when i sort out child care i can be the best nail tech i can. I find everyone helpfull on here and feel happy to know that all my worries i have can be helped with your answers. Think back to when you all first started and maybe you to will realise that once you had alot of questions that you needed answering.
I am hoping to go back to college and continue my training as a beautician providing i can get my baby into thier Crèche. Remember a liar is always caught out and those without training will get found out and if they are working unqualified they will end up found out!
I can rest asured that i am safe and had training! Maybe the site should ask for a copy of certificates like alot of suppliers do. There are alot of sites where you have to be vetted before joining or you have to be invited by someone to join.

Cheers xx

I used to be a bit guilty of not checking people's profiles, I suppose I am too trusting, but recently have found myself doing it, especially after reading a couple of threads that had me scratching my head and wondering what exactly was taught on the poster's nail course, then the penny dropping and realising that they probably hadn't done one at all.

It annoys me too when you check a profile and there is no information at all.

I know that Gigi said the other day that there will always be repeat questions from newbies and I don't have a problem with that at all, when I first joined this site I didn't even know what l&p stood for, and I probably asked all sorts of daft questions, that is how we learn and that is fine when the questions are asked by someone who is doing a nail course or indeed is going to invest in one and wants to learn, opposed to a back-street-no-intention-of-paying-a-penny-but-will-take-all-info type poster.

Great thread. :)

Last edited:
Well this is another great topic for discussion (thanks, Carl) and we have been lacking in those for quite a while in my opinion.

I too am fed up to the eyeballs :rolleyes: with the ... Creative Vs Ez Flo - Calgel Vs Bio type threads .. they are so utterly meaningless and so are most of the answers given.

Plus it tees me off that those posting don't use the magical search engine we have here on the site or any of the wonderful library of information that is here for them. (little moan there). It just seems easier for them to ask the question in the main forum (which is for discussion of interesting topics ) rather than in chit chat which is where these inane threads belong.

I think all education is good education even to the uneducated. I don't think anyone can learn how to do nails from this site, but they can gain lots of information which is all to the good in my book for anyone including guests and non pros. BUT I for one will not spend the time in posts to teach technique to the untrained; AND like many of us .. I have a good nose for sniffing them out. :lol: For one they don't know industry jargon and 2 their questions give them away so easily. If their question is totally basic then I advise they go for more 'training' even if they have been supposedly trained. In any case training for a professional is ongoing and life long.

I would hate to restrict thesalongeek too much. But maybe a profile question of date of certificate and from whom would be cool. SAMUEL?????? :green:

No one is trying to make any genuine person feel unwelcome or frightened to post.

I think what gets to a lot of people on here is those people who have no intention of getting proper training but think they can buy their products as cheaply as possible and then get free training on here. These are the people who set themselves up as nail technicians with no certificates and no insurance because they have no training.

They are the ones who chuck their teddies out when they are challenged.

Be honest now - would you go and buy a home perm kit or colour kit and walk into your local hair salon and ask them to show you exactly how to use it (FOC).

It is an insult!

To all newbies who are doing training now or are waiting patiently to get a date, you are most very welcome and please do not be frightened to post.

If you think your question might be stupid - the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask, but always wished you had!

Iafter reading a couple of threads that had me scratching my head and wondering what exactly was taught on the poster's nail course, then the penny dropping and realising that they probably hadn't done one at all.

Or,....they did and it really was that naff! I was on one!!

I'd hate to think that this thread is going to put off a newbie.. I'm sure they're terrified enough. When I came across this site I probally asked really stupid questions, even though I'm fully qualified and believe it or not, I've done three nail courses and STILL do not know "the jargon". It took me a while to do the searches too but now have the hang of it. (maybe I'm just a bit slow)

In saying that, Carl I do agree with you 100%. There was someone on here not so long ago asking about acrylic white tips and it was obvious she had absolutely no training and from what I could gather had no intention of getting any, so I feel "hey!! I've spent hundrends.. I've studied my bum off, bought books.. entered comps etc.. so why should I give this girl my knowledge for nothing??:irked:

Say no more!

but isnt that the point here?
You dont have to reply to any post so surely the best way to tackle this problem is to not achknowledge the posts that you can see are from people with no intention of training but every intention of advertising themselves as a qualified nail professional?

I'm sure that anyone who is honestly a REAL newbie and has any questions won't be put off by this thread...we all love to help each other on the site.
What rattles my cage is when a RIO user or someone with NO training and will not be doing ANY training thinks it's ok to post a thread.....I've paid thousands of ££ to get to this stage....I want to advise people who are going to take me seriously..not be here today and gone tomorrow...as these folk usually are. And waste my time.
I wouldn't even mind if these folks just had a search of the site without being so BLATANTLY OBVIOUS.
Newbies....this is a useful site and we are here to help so please fill in your profiles and be honest...we're being honest with you here too:hug:

I'd just like to say HELLO!

I'm a newbie and currently studying at Liverpool Community College doing my NVQ 2 Beauty Therapy - Make up route and also a VTCT Nail Technician course using NSI products.

Once qualified, I'd be more than happy to show my certificates if required :)

Lis

Innocent until proven Guilty!!

Anyone ever heard of that???

Yes in the ideal world it would be great if new members of the site filled out their profiles, but we all know some won't. Not always for suspect reasons.

As regards having to post copies of your certificates.......well that is just taking things too far IMHO!!!
Are we trying to turn this site into some sort of Police State :lol:

I will continue to answer when I can, in my usual way, and hopefully not be too cynical after reading this thread :rolleyes:

Innocent until proven Guilty!!

Anyone ever heard of that???

Yes in the ideal world it would be great if new members of the site filled out their profiles, but we all know some won't. Not always for suspect reasons.

As regards having to post copies of your certificates.......well that is just taking things too far IMHO!!!
Are we trying to turn this site into some sort of Police State :lol:

I will continue to answer when I can, in my usual way, and hopefully not be too cynical after reading this thread :rolleyes:

A copy of a certificate means nothing as has been said mate...and who could be bothered????
Oh Izzi...do we get REAL policemen..in uniform??? :lol:
I'm staying.

A copy of a certificate means nothing as has been said mate...and who could be bothered????
Oh Izzi...do we get REAL policemen..in uniform??? :lol:
I'm staying.

Mmmmmmmm Samuel in Jackboots!!!....now there's an image :eek:

Well done Carl, as you know this is one of my pet hates too.

I won't answer questions unless I know someone is either trained or in the process of training nor would I expect a hair geek for tips on trimming my hair.

Having said that I love to help even if someone has only done day 1 of their foundation course - they are going in the right direction:)

Isn't it obvious when people with no experience of this industry are bluffing with or without a complete profile?

However, how can we call the site professional only when it's available to anyone who stumbles across it on the WWW and it has a consumer section? Unless it becomes an intranet where only certain 'qualified' people have access, then it would defeat the whole purpose of the site.

Maybe I don't spend enough time here to get upset about it but if it doesn't warrant an answer then don't waste time answering.

and I still class myself as a newbie as unfortunately due to a full time management job I am unable to commit as much time as I would like to with Nails. Although i'm hoping this changes sometime soon!!!

I would just like to say to all newbies that I didnt find Nailzoo's original thread at all offensive as I know that I have invested a lot of money into my education, products and insurance. I think it is a very fair comment to make as I have a friend who bought a cheap kit off of ebay and she is doing our friends nails cheaper than what I was doing them for!!!!

I certainly feel that I have asked some daft questions on here but I am lucky enough to have my educator on here so I know I can always PM her with my questions that I don't really want to make public.

I recently had an issue with Minx and Geeg was extremly helpful to me and gave me some very valuable advice and now its all starting to come together (after a few tantrums!) so if you ask a genuine question you will always get the help you need.

When I have to train my staff in work I find it so frustrating when they dont take notes and they keep coming back to me asking the same questions over and over again. Beacuse of this I always make sure that I use the search option on this site before I go asking any questions. 9 times out of 10 my questions are answered in previous posts.

I'm thinking some of you may look at my profile now so Im off to make sure it is up to date!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Great topic Carl, there are some really good ones today! There's nothing to be offended about really for anyone reading, if you trained, good or bad, it shows you want to learn.

As many know I started training and have been on a start/stop/start/stop rollercoaster ever since due to circumstance. I'm hanging on in there trying :lol:

I did once upon a time post about profiles as there was a time when many really made them a mini history and ongoing story of their careers and training. I did mine pretty much the day I joined as I was immensly proud of what I had achieved and wanted to show that off so to a degree I have to say I often wonder why more people dont. I always read them and although I rarely feel I should answer questions on the occasions I do I have already read the profile and I guess I kind of feel that if your really wanting to join in and benefit why not share your progress so far.

Thats JMO of course. :hug:

This is surely just a different way of saying should this be a professional site only .Which i think it has been agreed that no it shouldn't.
I think its too late to worry what is said now, all the info is there to see.Its there if you search and its there in very in depth tutorials and video links.

Just a thought ... would it be possible that we had a professional section whereby you have to enter your insurance company & insurance cert no...and you cant see all the posts if you dont have it...

If you are training & practicing on people you should have insurance so the trainees would be ok....

I really dont know enough about the running/setting up of these things sooooo dont shoot me yet lol

Just a thought ... would it be possible that we had a professional section whereby you have to enter your insurance company & insurance cert no...and you cant see all the posts if you dont have it...

If you are training & practicing on people you should have insurance so the trainees would be ok....

I really dont know enough about the running/setting up of these things sooooo dont shoot me yet lol

That would rule me out, and anyone like me. I'm not insured at the moment as I'm only practicing on myself, tips and my trainer hand although funnily enough I was going to insure myself this week. I'd get insured to stay on the site but I imagine the behind the scenes checking would be soooo time consuming considering the membership numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back