Nightmare client complaint - Wants a free treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Morning All

I am a mobile therapist; beauty, holistic and foot practitioner. Well, I had an elderly lady ring looking for an foot appointment on Monday at 4.30pm. Wanted me to go to her IMMEDIATELY. I told her that I would be with her at 10am in the morning. She complained, asking why I couldn't go out straight away so I politely told her that I couldn't come now. I then asked her for directions and she told gave me her address, she gave me completely wrong directions; I was driving round the area she told me for about five minutes before I rang her and asked her whereabouts she was. She started effing and jeffing at me for not being able to find her. Eventually found her and she had a go at me for being five minutes late. Done her feet (while she moaned about anybody and everybody). When I finish a client, I always ask if they are happy with their treatment, in the case of foot treatments, I ask if they would they like to have a walk around to make sure their feet are OK. She said they were "better than before". So I asked her if she was happy with them. She said "mmmmm". So I left it at that. As far as I was concerned her feet where fine. Just checked my messages and she rang me at 10.30pm last night to say her feet have big lumps of hard skin all over them and loads of corns. There is no way I would leave a client like that. I have been in business 4 years and have worked hard to build a successful business. So she wants me to go back immediately and "do the job properly and don't think I'm paying you". What would you guys do? Go and do the treatment (I drive past her door a couple of times a week) and blacklist her, or refuse to go unless she pays me?

Cheers for any advice.

Hi, if your sure you have don't the job to you full capability I would go back and inspect the job!! And see what it was she was complaining about!! Say you cannot do it at that time and if you feel when you arrive after inspect them you will then book an appointment if you feel it is necessary! She just might be a lonely old lady and want you back so she can off load her problems on to! But certainly tell her if you feel she is wrong once you by there. Hope this helps xx

Are you a chiropodist? If you are "just" beauty - and I don't mean that in a derogatory term at all - then I wouldn't have thought removing corns was part of the treatment. However hard skin would be.

I'd go and have a look. You say yourself you wouldn't have left a client like that, so you can be very confident. Unless she has been out running:eek: since you saw her and built up more hard skin, it's probably just dryness she can feel.

If you think she's going to be a right royal pain in the backside I'd be booked up next time she rings.

The signs were all there but you ignored them.
1 - wanting it done immediately
2. Swearing at you for not finding her - I would not have gone at this point
moaning, being rude etc, etc.

No refunds and do not go there again unless you want more of the same. :eek: For you own sanity and to prevent landing an abusive client just learn to say no to these types of people.

I don't think you should put up with that kind of behaviour regardless of money. You need to be firm and say you cannot accept any more appointments from her as you feel her attitude is unacceptable. As you say, she checked her feet before you left, she will either eff and jeff some more or she will realise she is not nice and apologise and change her attitude. If she rants, simply say, thank you, I no longer require your custom and put the phone down, if shes reasonable, state you asked her to check before you left that the treatment was ok so if she requires another appointment it will be normal price payable before treatment (as she may refuse after). Stand up for yourself! :)

Elderly ladies who swear make me pmsl (ie Doris off Gavin & Stacey)

But it's not acceptable to your therapist. I actually forgot about the swearing bit when I answered last time.

(this might be wrong in some peoples eyes but this is what i would do) personaly i would say to her that she was happy when you left so are suprised that she has found error in your treatment but that you would like to see what her concerns are and arrange a time to go round, explain you are very booked up and don't have time to do a treatment that day but if it is a mistake on your behalf then you will go back at a discounted price, otherwise you will charge her, when you get there have a look, if you honestly think you couldnt of done any better then explain to her you are perfectly happy with the treatment and will not be offering her a treatment free of charge... THEN next time she phones tell her that unfortunatly she will need to find a different therpist as you are not willing to treat her anymore. as said above she sounded like a pain in the bottom from the start. when speaking to her be polite as possible, do not get worked up, rude people hate it when you keep your calm and stay polite :lol:

sorry but u all are too polite on here,

No we are professionals. IMO you may think it but saying that to a client is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The signs were all there but you ignored them.
1 - wanting it done immediately
2. Swearing at you for not finding her - I would not have gone at this point
moaning, being rude etc, etc.

No refunds and do not go there again unless you want more of the same. :eek: For you own sanity and to prevent landing an abusive client just learn to say no to these types of people.

This exactly. You can only be treated badly by someone if you allow it.

As a professional you should act professional two wrings do not make a right in my book, and I was always taught to act correctly!! Id just not do her again If she was abusive

(this might be wrong in some peoples eyes but this is what i would do) personaly i would say to her that she was happy when you left so are suprised that she has found error in your treatment but that you would like to see what her concerns are and arrange a time to go round, explain you are very booked up and don't have time to do a treatment that day but if it is a mistake on your behalf then you will go back at a discounted price, otherwise you will charge her, when you get there have a look, if you honestly think you couldnt of done any better then explain to her you are perfectly happy with the treatment and will not be offering her a treatment free of charge... THEN next time she phones tell her that unfortunatly she will need to find a different therpist as you are not willing to treat her anymore. as said above she sounded like a pain in the bottom from the start. when speaking to her be polite as possible, do not get worked up, rude people hate it when you keep your calm and stay polite :lol:

I completely agree with this.

I think sometimes when a client is annoyed etc we're all too quick to push the blame on them (and I'm by no means saying you're in the wrong) have a moan and say that's it no refunds. Not everyone is perfect all of the time and sometimes we make errors. It's very easy to come on here and say 'I haven't done anything wrong - it's all the clients fault' - we only get one side of the story and will believe what you say. But what if you didn't do the job to your best ability???

OK, you shouldn't have done the treatment after the swearing and wanting an appointment immediately, but imagine how satisfying it will be to go round there and prove that you've done your job correctly. That way she has nothing to sl*g your off about, and might even apologise.

........Again, not saying you're in the wrong! Just a general point!

Thanks for all your replies. I know categorically that I did not leave her with hard skin on her feet. Definately not. What she did have was lots of dry skin and I did recommend foot cream to her (which she refused coz it was an extra £3). I am also pretty damn sure there was no corns because she was walking around fine when I left and I asked her before I went if her feet were OK. It's just I was always taught "the customer is always right". I think the idea of telling her how surprised I am that she isn't happy with her feet (4 years in business and first complaint, must mean something), have a quick look and if I think it's fine tell her that I won't be doing anything free of charge. I suppose I need to "grow some" as the saying goes. I don't like confrontation and I know she is going to be horrible. My friend works at the Dr's that this client was moaning about when I was there and my friend says she is an absolute nightmare. Once again, you've all been a big help. Thank you.

Are you a chiropodist? If you are "just" beauty - and I don't mean that in a derogatory term at all - then I wouldn't have thought removing corns was part of the treatment. However hard skin would be.

- I was just about to say the same... too many people out there expect a full on chiropody service these days, it isnt on and this is not fair on you.

If this was me, I would go and take a look, assert my role - maybe say something along the lines of not being insured to carry out a chiropody treatment (Because I am not a chiropodist) and advise her to visit one for the treatment of her corns etc.

Just a thought; from your role description was she perhaps expecting a chiropodist?
Her expectation may have been different because of this.
It doesn't excuse her rudeness though.

I assume from your first post that you are actually a fhp as well as a beauty therapist?

Have you considered she may be ill? I work in a secured dementia unit. Many residents are happy and may be angered later. Sounds to me like she is ill. Id GIVE her a foot cream, check.her feet and.id blacklist her. Be careful if she is angry I had a.resident :smack: me today........

Have you considered she may be ill? I work in a secured dementia unit. Many residents are happy and may be angered later. Sounds to me like she is ill. Id GIVE her a foot cream, check.her feet and.id blacklist her. Be careful if she is angry I had a.resident :smack: me today........

You beat me to it - I was going to suggest the same thing!

You said she gave you the wrong directions, then swore at you. It could well be that she has mild dementia.

You beat me to it - I was going to suggest the same thing!

You said she gave you the wrong directions, then swore at you. It could well be that she has mild dementia.

Great minds think alike. Always consider ALL possibilities before making a decision. She ment no harm if she has.dementia.

My friend works at the Dr's that this client was moaning about when I was there and my friend says she is an absolute nightmare.

what were you doing discussing confidential client information with your friend?!

Latest posts

Back