No confidence with spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkiKailo

Reaction score
Hi,
I did my spray tanning course 3 weeks ago and my friend was a model. Her tan came out gorgeous and she loved it.
I did my husband last week as a practise and it looked awful :-(
The tan came out wet, it dripped and took ages to dry. His hands and feet were patchy and orange - thank goodness he is my husband!!
Anyway sorted my insurance and did my first paying client tonight.
I practise on paper at home first so I got my gun set correctly so I had no problems with wetness but I'm at home panicking her hands and feet are going to look terrible. She goes on holiday tomorrow too.
Will I get better with practise or do you think I should consider re-training?
Thankyou so much geeks xx

It sounds like you need more practice. Perhaps a few more clients (non paying or reduced fee) until you feel more confident.

I would say you need to practice a bit more first as bodies are all different shapes and skin tones etc.

One thing that springs to mind though, ate you mobile? You said you practised on paper at home? Your gun can change its setting in transit so I always make sure I do the couch roll test before every client as the smallest adjustment can make a difference. Also any reason why you're worried about her hands and feet or is it just due to what happened with your husband?

Lastly who did you train with and which brand of tan are you using? Any idea how much solution you're using per full body? Sorry for loads of questions but it'll help us try and give you some pointers.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you're newly trained and we've all been there. You will get there, don't worry x

Thankyou for the advice and reassurance :) thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yes I'm mobile and it never entered my head the setting could change!! Thanks so much! I will test at their home in future.
I trained with LA Tan and I've been using about 70ml :-/ I know that's not ideal.
I'm just worried about her hands & feet because my husbands were awful.
I've not heard from her today so I'm guessing all was well :) I have been doing her nails for a few months so know her quite well and I think she'd of text if the tan wasn't ok zxxx

Hi,
Sounds like the gun needed to be turned down if it's too wet and dripping ...
Keep practicing, you'll get there ... Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I feel your pain!

I've recently trained and I've been practising on my other half and family. It's scary!

Different brand to you so we were probably trained differently but I always put barrier cream on the nails,toes and feet. I also have "sticky feet" which are foam cut outs of feet that stick to the clients foot, I love these!

One thing Ive learnt is throughout the tanning session a lot drops onto the hands and especially the feet, even though they don't look brown. I spray in 1 big circle further away when it comes to the hands and feet.

Hope that makes sense!

X

Yep just practise, practise, practise.
Make sure you follow the steps of barrier cream on palms of hands and edges of feet, knees and elbows as well as using the sticky feet.
Remember just two or three quick flicks for the back of hands so it isn't too much.
You'll get there, stay focused and you'll soon be thinking, whatever was I worrying about! X

Hi im reasonably new too and I sprayed about 5 people discounted so they knew it wouldnt b perfect and asked for honest feedback. I have.my gun turned right down and lots have commented how dry they are in comparison to other tAns which mAde me happy! I dont spray hands of feet the over spray is usually enough to colour them which is much more natural looking or spray them from far away literally a spritz. Good luck its scary I no I always have a little bit of god I hope they are happy when ive done a treatment! Lol x

Please don't worry. When I first trained I was using around 70mls per tan and am now down to 40mls with practice. Definitely test your gun each and every time, it takes seconds and could make all the difference.
As for hands and feet, use your barrier cream every time and I always pull the gun further away when spraying these areas so they only have a very light misting. I do the same with knees and elbows.
You could always drop her a text asking now the guide colour has been washed off, how does it look. It shows you care by following up the next day and you can always give her some aftercare advice if you havent already done so.
In the meantime, keep practising. It really won't take you long to find your own routine and pretty soon it'll be second nature x

Can I just tag onto this thread. I just passed my Sienna X training on Thursday. I wasn't going to use this brand - had tried Suntana and liked the smell.

I sprayed my husband this morning with coconut 8% - used 50ml but I couldn't see where I had sprayed! Very light guide colour or is that just me? Sienna X guide colour was excellent. I've tried nouvatan and didn't like the smell or colour :( I really wanted to like it!

Yes you will get better if you learn from your mistakes. You knew your hubby's was too wet, so turn the dial down on your gun. Always check before spraying a client on a piece of couch roll or kitchen roll (I still always do this even after 8 years spraying) not just to check if your spraying correct amount but sometimes your gun can clog and come out spotty so always good to check. You say you're worried about clients hands and feet but you didn't say if you has feedback from them (complaint)? If not, don't worry :) Defo get a couple of friends/family for guinea pigs but otherwise enjoy! Mostly your clients will love you for bronzing them up, some will always moan but in time you will trust your technique and understand people have different skin types/tones so not every one will be perfect :)

P.s. sorry I love Nouvatan as its such a natural colour and great fade off but sienna would come second for me :)

Thankyou everyone so much for taking the time to reply - just reading your comments has boosted me up loads!!
I have lots of mummy friends and nail clients so I'm going to ask around for some models to practise on!!
I've taken all your advice on board - I will master this tanning!!
Will keep you all up to date xx

Lots of barrier cream on feet and hands, I never spray feet, overspray is enough and lightly mist claw hands from a distance. I use Nouvatan and love it. Tried Sienna, LA Tan, Suntana, Xentan, no comparison. Dry straight away, natural colour and fade off is not noticeable at all. Good luck.

Hi I had all the same problems as you,I still use 70ml too and it dripped,I was in a right panic it didn't do that in my training.i was worrying about the cost too.i emailed a few companies and got sample bottles and got a few off eBay to,so I could practice and it not cost me to do so.hang in there I thought of retraining to but haven't instead I've just being spraying family,friends because it is just practice,practice,practice.xxxx

Hii :) We use LA tan in our salon and I've had the dripping before it's definitely the gun being too high and you maybe not moving quick enough or overlapping, (that's what I found my issue was) sometimes less can be more with tan I just practiced and practiced and soon it will be second nature to you :) xxx

I have been spray tanning since 2009 and still to this day to the couch roll test before every client &#128521; also different brands have different consistencies I use Xen tan which is quite a thin solution and vani-t velocity rapid tan which is thicker. I use between 25-40 mls per tan and that's spraying twice never had a problem. I always use sticky feet and fake bakes oil free mistifier spray for dry areas hands and feet etc I always turn gun right down to do hands and feet and only spray these once. Hth <3 x

After tanning for 10 years now I can honestly say it probably took me 6 months plus before I really felt confident. The best thing you can do is practise, practise practise! If possible just get as many people as you can and offer a free tan. That way you won't feel any pressure as they will understand that you are practising. I would turn the gun right down at first. Good luck!

Hi,
I see from this thread that many therapists have problems with "hands and feet" We have a new "perfection" tanning brush available that will solve this problem. The technique is very simple, just spray down to the wrists/ankles and then brush the tan down onto the hands/feet. It is very simple to use and a "must have" to get a perfect tan every time. All runs, oversprays, hairlines, behind ears etc can be brushed in, no dabbing with tissue. The brush can be used for body sculpting, hollow cheeks, six packs etc and comes with a handy plastic sheath so you can keep it close when tanning (top pocket) and not get tan everywhere. It is silicon treated so it will return to it's original condition after rinsing clean in warm water. Check out our website for full instructions for use.

As has been said earlier I also don't spray feet, I find the overspray covers them. I use crazy angel tan and always use the wing spray as well and never have any problems with hands or feet going orange.
Also re the setting on your gun, someone on here recommended a while a go to put a sharpie or tip ex mark on your most preferred setting. This helped me massively when I was just getting to know my machine.
Above all practice practice practice and you will get there hun x

Latest posts

Back