No training... smart or stupid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Training... smart or stupid?

• smart?

Votes: 21 4.0%
  • stupid?

Votes: 510 96.0%

• Total voters
Training & special education is VERY IMPORTANT!!!....& i will do it ...yeah....:( as soon as i will save enough money,.. can't do anything..im a poor student & those trainngs cost so expencive in here:(....i have NO profesional "nail" education:cry: ...& that is the main reason i'm not gonna do manicure to anyone besydes myself so far, think untrained tech can become a real danger & i don't wanna cause any trouble to anyone...the only thing i can calmly & with no shame offer to my friends is NailArt...playing with paints & polishes hopefully won't do any harm to anyone...But i really dreamming of becoming trained tech...& hope the nearest time my dream will come true....:)

I agree. It is stupid.

In my country, majority of the nail technicians here are not qualified, certified,licenced etc.

The were taught by watching other persons, and because it can be a lucrative profession, they set up shops every and anyway.

My school is the first to offer training in the field.

However, I think the major problem is where I live there are no set laws or regualtions stating that a person must be qualified to do nails. Which after attending school I realize that is a big issue.

I had my nails done by technicians here, but never knew that you had to specially trained because you are using chemicals.

On more than one occasion I have lost my whole nail on my finger :-(

On time, I hit my nail on the window and it cracked. I went to my nail technician the other day and I told her about it and instead of soaking it off so that it can heal, all she did was apply glue. It burned like hell!!! I was in pain for days until I got so upset and took it off my self. It was cracked until my flesh could be seen ewww.

All she did was say sorry.

Because I did not know how much was in stake before attending school I contiued to get my nails done by unprofessionals.

I promised myself that when I graduate I will be doing my own nails.

Here also, they kill the nail plate. They think that you have to file that nail down for the acrylic to adhere properly when all you have to do is remove the shine. Trust me.....I am so scared of them.

I can't wait to graduate, practice, and give them a run for their money......lol:lol:

Hi vicki

Welcome to the site.

Dont worry that you dont want to do any nails becuase of your short training. dont forget we all have to start somewhere.

Why dont you just have a go at one of your friends nails and see how you feel. You probably wont be pleased with the results but we never are. But what it does mean is that it will then become easier to do the next and then the next etc.

As regards the dipping powder system, not sure which one you were taught as there are a few, but the ones I know of have anti bacterial agents in them so should combat any concerns over spreading bacteria. As long as you have used anti bacterial products in your prep and do a thorough consultation you shouldnt have a problem there.

I know the first step is always a big one, but you will never get rid of that fear until you put your feet in the water!

Enjoy and have fun.

I have to agree with everyone. I would not dream of doing anything on anyone without training.....I have a conscience. I trained at college and finished in June this year and I still worry that I might have done something wrong to cause damage. I too have a certificate and still feel that the nails I do are not good enough, I will keep on training and practicing because I want to be good at what I am trained for. The ones that don't care and have no training ....well what can I say except blar blar blar blar blar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear the problems you have had, you go and knock there socks off.......go for it!!! and good luck xxx

hi everyone i am new to this site but i really wanted to share my experience with you !!!

I have always been passionate about nails..... and recently decided that rather than playing around with my own i would invest my money and do it properly.

I am newly qualified ...... ha ha ha
thats right.... i find it funny because i have a certificate that tells me i can go out and do a set of gel acrylic or tip and dip nails on any client i wish obviously i need to have my insurance!! no problem i have my certificate and i have my insurance company the only thing is i dont want to do it i tell you why ..............

I went on a 2 day course thats right 2 days in that 2 days i was told not taught, how to apply a tip and how to dip a nail into some powder......
I was told how to put gel over a tip and how to put acrylic over a tip.......

I was not taught helth and safety, nail anatomy nail diseases how to apply product correctly filing techniques problems which may occur differences in products etc etc

I mearly applied ten tips to a real hand and dipped them into powder (common sense tell you bacteria can spread with so many nails being dipped into same powder) i applied gel to one tip just one and acrylic to another.
one looked like a horses hoof one looked like a ski slope and the other sunk in the middle, the middle of the nail being what ? i have no idea but i am qualified !!!!

Its a joke all these girls that think they know it all because they have attended this course and have passed !!!

I am angry because i would not dare putt a set of nails on my best friend simply because i cant !!
But in front of me i have a recognised certificate that tells me i can....

Out of the 12 girls on my course or should i say men in female bodies dressed in tracksuits and trainers swearing like troopers 11 of them left the course thinking that they had the experience to go and open a salon or be a mobile nail tec !!! ha ha ha ha ha

I am the only one who is feeling like this i am not an under confident person if i done something i was proud of i would show it off !! my work on this course was appauling i coulnt even look at the nails that i had completed they were that bad but in a funny kind of way.... yet i was told my work was good and practise would make perfect.

Two days to be a nail tech......... why bother working in tesco's or mac d s if you can pay out a few hundred quid and get a recognised certificate to say your a nail tech... why bother going to college for a few years to get some experience, it has made me sick.

I am 32 years old a mature mother with two children looking to train as a nail technician because its a passion not a hobby, i want to do as many courses as i can i want as much experience as i can get, and i want to be able to do it well not just ok, i want to be proud of my achievements, i want to stand up in front of a group of girls in 5 years time and say this is where i started and now i am a trainer.....

To many companies are giving girls the confidece to make them believe they are good at what they do when they simply know nothing!!!!
I am a prime example .... i achieved nothing but they say i am good.
I know these girls wont last long, but taking money off people to provide a service because they need a bob or two is not the approach in this industry and too many girls are doing it because they CAN .............

I know nothing but i am determined even more so to achieve what i have set out to do and i will do it i will be sucsessful and i will be a trainer....

I am now booked onto a course with NSI and intend to start again from the bottom and work my way up up up ....... but i will keep my old certificate so in years to come i can look back ..........

Who did you do your training with hun? x

hi everyone i am new to this site but i really wanted to share my experience with you !!!

I have always been passionate about nails..... and recently decided that rather than playing around with my own i would invest my money and do it properly.

I am newly qualified ...... ha ha ha
thats right.... i find it funny because i have a certificate that tells me i can go out and do a set of gel acrylic or tip and dip nails on any client i wish obviously i need to have my insurance!! no problem i have my certificate and i have my insurance company the only thing is i dont want to do it i tell you why ..............

I went on a 2 day course thats right 2 days in that 2 days i was told not taught, how to apply a tip and how to dip a nail into some powder......
I was told how to put gel over a tip and how to put acrylic over a tip.......

I was not taught helth and safety, nail anatomy nail diseases how to apply product correctly filing techniques problems which may occur differences in products etc etc

I mearly applied ten tips to a real hand and dipped them into powder (common sense tell you bacteria can spread with so many nails being dipped into same powder) i applied gel to one tip just one and acrylic to another.
one looked like a horses hoof one looked like a ski slope and the other sunk in the middle, the middle of the nail being what ? i have no idea but i am qualified !!!!

Its a joke all these girls that think they know it all because they have attended this course and have passed !!!

I am angry because i would not dare putt a set of nails on my best friend simply because i cant !!
But in front of me i have a recognised certificate that tells me i can....

Out of the 12 girls on my course or should i say men in female bodies dressed in tracksuits and trainers swearing like troopers 11 of them left the course thinking that they had the experience to go and open a salon or be a mobile nail tec !!! ha ha ha ha ha

I am the only one who is feeling like this i am not an under confident person if i done something i was proud of i would show it off !! my work on this course was appauling i coulnt even look at the nails that i had completed they were that bad but in a funny kind of way.... yet i was told my work was good and practise would make perfect.

Two days to be a nail tech......... why bother working in tesco's or mac d s if you can pay out a few hundred quid and get a recognised certificate to say your a nail tech... why bother going to college for a few years to get some experience, it has made me sick.

I am 32 years old a mature mother with two children looking to train as a nail technician because its a passion not a hobby, i want to do as many courses as i can i want as much experience as i can get, and i want to be able to do it well not just ok, i want to be proud of my achievements, i want to stand up in front of a group of girls in 5 years time and say this is where i started and now i am a trainer.....

To many companies are giving girls the confidece to make them believe they are good at what they do when they simply know nothing!!!!
I am a prime example .... i achieved nothing but they say i am good.
I know these girls wont last long, but taking money off people to provide a service because they need a bob or two is not the approach in this industry and too many girls are doing it because they CAN .............

I know nothing but i am determined even more so to achieve what i have set out to do and i will do it i will be sucsessful and i will be a trainer....

I am now booked onto a course with NSI and intend to start again from the bottom and work my way up up up ....... but i will keep my old certificate so in years to come i can look back ..........

I did exactly the same thing as you its really scarey isn't it that they let you do this.

I have just looked into doing a VTCT in Nail Extensions at college but because my 'qualification' and i use that term lightly!! isn't reconised then i cannot do the course and have to start with the manicure course.

I am more than happy to start from the bottom and work my way up, but i think it is awful that these companies charge an awful lot of money for a course that simply isn't up too scratch, i think that i have wasted nearly £400! And its shocking to think that girls that trained with me will be out there on the general public!

Can I just say that you are only ever qualified in something if you have actually sat a test - no matter what the subject matter. For example I could go on a 2 year A'level course, but unless I actually sit the exam I am only a course attendee. I only have the qualification if I sit the exam and pass it!

This however IS a big problem, and these people do often say you are qualified when clearly you aren't ... you are in effects still a trainee.

The courses that offer an 'attendance' certificate, give the impression the people have passed what they did. It doesn't!! all it tells a person is, they went there, stayed, and then went home afterwards. But you can get insurance with them (unless this has changed) and a trade card for buying the products.

It isn't just one area that needs looking into for this, like not being trained, it is a whole spectrum. One leading to another.

Nails are seen as easy money to the untrained. Which is very sad, as the damage that is caused is great.

Good thread!

A bit of EDYOOKAYSHUN never goes astray!!

The courses that offer an 'attendance' certificate, give the impression the people have passed what they did. It doesn't!! all it tells a person is, they went there, stayed, and then went home afterwards. But you can get insurance with them (unless this has changed) and a trade card for buying the products.

It isn't just one area that needs looking into for this, like not being trained, it is a whole spectrum. One leading to another.

Nails are seen as easy money to the untrained. Which is very sad, as the damage that is caused is great.

Good thread!

The certificate that i got from my course allowed me to get insurance, although i would never practise on the public unless i had further training no doubt that others that have done the same course as me would

The certificate that i got from my course allowed me to get insurance, although i would never practise on the public unless i had further training no doubt that others that have done the same course as me would

Good for you, but some don't think like that. I have seen people do a oneday course and then set up in business. (education has stopped there) Obviously the business hasn't lasted but many people become wary of having their nails done.

Good for you, but some don't think like that. I have seen people do a oneday course and then set up in business. (education has stopped there) Obviously the business hasn't lasted but many people become wary of having their nails done.

I just don't know how people have the confidence to do that!

I now am having to go back to square one as regards to training because college don't reconise my certificate, its really annoying as well because i spent loads of money doing the course. But looking back now i should've done more research.

Can anyone give any advise as to what i need to look for in a course or venue i am booked onto a course with nsi starting real soon as i have heard alot of good stuff about them any one not agree xxxxxxxxxxx:hug: :hug: :hug:

If you go to Forums and then tutorals and articles, there is a great article in there about what to look for in a training course.

There is loads of information on here, take some time and read to your hearts content.

You will probably find that every question you could ever think of has been asked and answered but if not then ask away.

Training is what separates the die hard, passionate, industry loving techs from the "computer says no" type who just go through the motions, and it shows to the clients, maybe not at first, but they know! JMHO

ok i have decided that after looking round this sight i dont really belong here......

no one has any interest in someone like me ... i have no training and am new to the industry .... why talk to me when you can talk to the proffessionals.

Thankyou to all of you who tried to help me round the sight...

in a few years when i can talk nail lingo i will return.

hope you all have a cracking time creating beautiful nails xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vickypoll - this is where we all started, and me, I'm still there! Don't give up, I have learned so much being on here. As for the nail lingo, I learned not just from my training, but also reading - there's loads of resorces like Nailclass, Encylopedia of Nails and tonnes more. Don't feel that cos you're new your not good enough to talk to - PM me if you'd like anytime :hug:

ok i have decided that after looking round this sight i dont really belong here......
Why do you feel you don't belong here? Is it because you're not trained yet?
If that's the case then you couldn't have come to a better place. This site is extremely helpful to people just like yourself who are either new to the industry or thinking about training etc.

no one has any interest in someone like me ... i have no training and am new to the industry .... why talk to me when you can talk to the proffessionals.
Ofcourse we have an interest in you... I don't know what's made you think this way but on this site we help each other out, regardless of which system is used.
Have you suddenly realised that there's more to being a nail technician than meets the eye and it is infact going to be a lot harder than you first imagined?

Stick around Vicky, make good use of the articles and tutorials, read, read and read some more, there's a heck of a lot of great information on the site, aswell as a heck of a lot of helpful technicians who will guide you and advise you...
and the best part is, IT'S FREE!!!

this is why there needs to be tougher laws

to stop this sort of thing happening time and time again

I'd bet half my mortgage that person is one of the untrained and leeching from the site brigade.....

We, as professionally trained technicians, have the right to get mad about this BUT there is a big difference between the newbie researching her options for training and the working 'tech' with no intention of getting training any time soon...... Those people have no right to post pics for critique or to critique others pictures - what the h*ll do they know about what makes a good nail??

The newbies need and deserve our support - we all started somewhere, all aksed questions that have been asked before and all needed the advice of people that have been there/done it! Forall of you - feel free to ask, use the search, read, learn and take that knowledge like so many of us have done (and are hugely grateful for, thanks!).

Just wondering how many geeks are on this site...why isn't mandatory to provide copy's of our diploma's when we first register?? Wouldnt that prevent this kind of problem and frustration?:idea:

I myself ask some questions sometimes (ok I asked many questions!!) and am beiing ask if I took training...everytime I just want to scan my freakin diplomas and use it as an avatar!! (I might just do that!)

I think we all agree that not having the proper training that comes with a professional career is just plain stupid, and more stupid, or I should say Naive, are the people who give their money to those supposed techs! I would like to make myself into a dentist...I will start pulling teeth tomorrow!! I would not get away with it...why...people look for that diploma on the wall of the dentist office...why don't they look for ours??? Not well aware of the dangers of going to a nail salon.

Having that said, If this site is to be open to the general public. then it is a little useless to complain about having Ms. nobody pretend shes a tech.
The problem could be fixed very easily, and many options could apply...

Just wondering how many geeks are on this site...why isn't mandatory to provide copy's of our diploma's when we first register?? Wouldnt that prevent this kind of problem and frustration?:idea:

There are over 13,000 members on the site, it would be virtually impossible to ask everyone to provide diplomas and/or certificates.
There would have to be one person (or more) to check out the paperwork, this would take a lot of man-hours and also a lot of money to pay their wages, it just isn't possible as the site is paid for our of Sam's own pocket along with the much needed Premium Geek subscriptions and company advertising banners.
Not only that but it would mean that techs in training and wanna-be techs couldn't take part, there are a heck of a lot of newbie/wanne-be techs on the site and they would miss out on a lot of information if they had to show a diploma/certificvate before being able to register.

Latest posts

Back