Not So Newbie Saying Hello

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portia

Reaction score
Hi :D

I'm a regular Geek, but I've registered under a new name, as well as my old one lol!

MrsGeeks post about being aware of what we write and who reads it struck a chord with me. I'm registered under my real name which makes me easy to find on here in a Google search.

Whilst I've not said anything I don't fully stand by, or regret, I do fancy some anonimity (sp) and the freedom to disagree and debate without the fear that some client will read it, misunderstand or misinterpret what was said and take offence.

I've picked up a few clients from my posts on here which is fabulous and I'm very grateful for that which is why I will continue to use my 'real' name, but I will also use this one too.

I've filled in my profile with enough to prove my credibility so hopefully I won't be perceived as a Troll

Portia :D

Welcome "newbie" Geek.

Enjoy your "constructive" freedom of speech under your new alias !

River

Hya I did exactly the same as you for the very same reasons...so I have been a member for a few years now but looks like I have only been with the nail geek for about 2 months.

From Portia's profile: Old school Geek fed up with biting her tongue, watching what she says, and tiptoeing around other peoples rubbish. Gained many clients from this site under my business name so registered as something less obvious to be able to say what I want without backlash - constructively of course!

What sort of "backlash" do you mean?

I think this is a worrying trend and I hope not too many geeks decide to follow it. The comfort of anonymity is only likely to cause more flaming.

This is a professional forum and none of us should write anything that we would be embarrassed for our clients or anyone else to read. If we are writing constructively, then how can it cause backlash or offence?

Just my opinion of course Portia.

people are worried about get bad rep, think that is why people have 2 user names on here.
this is my opinion.

Portia said:
Hi :D

I'm a regular Geek, but I've registered under a new name, as well as my old one lol!

MrsGeeks post about being aware of what we write and who reads it struck a chord with me. I'm registered under my real name which makes me easy to find on here in a Google search.

Whilst I've not said anything I don't fully stand by, or regret, I do fancy some anonimity (sp) and the freedom to disagree and debate without the fear that some client will read it, misunderstand or misinterpret what was said and take offence.

I've picked up a few clients from my posts on here which is fabulous and I'm very grateful for that which is why I will continue to use my 'real' name, but I will also use this one too.

I've filled in my profile with enough to prove my credibility so hopefully I won't be perceived as a Troll

Portia :D

Well I haven't got a clue who you are:lol: :lol:

That is the problem with posting on such a large forum as this one......anyone can be reading it.

I am with Glynis on this one, we should be able to post constructively and honestly and without fear of backlash, If geeks use alias's it all becomes a bit confusing and could be used for the wrong reasons, I for one like to know who I am talking to.

*Glynis* said:
From Portia's profile: Old school Geek fed up with biting her tongue, watching what she says, and tiptoeing around other peoples rubbish. Gained many clients from this site under my business name so registered as something less obvious to be able to say what I want without backlash - constructively of course!

What sort of "backlash" do you mean?

I think this is a worrying trend and I hope not too many geeks decide to follow it. The comfort of anonymity is only likely to cause more flaming.

This is a professional forum and none of us should write anything that we would be embarrassed for our clients or anyone else to read. If we are writing constructively, then how can it cause backlash or offence?

Just my opinion of course Portia.

I think my other thread probably sums it up, there are things I'd like to talk about that if read by a client may be taken out of context or taken badly, or misconstrued. In that thread I'm talking about how I've been taken in by clients. It's not posted to starting a bitching session, it's to help other techs understand it's easy to get sucked in and end up out of pocket and feeling bad. I don't want my clients to be offended, it but if one of them read it, they might well be because it wouldn't necessarily be read in the right context. ie. professional to professional. They may feel I'm slagging them off and I'm not.

I'm not completely annoymous, I've checked 'receive emails', you can PM me, and I've filled in my profile. I'm not a troll, I have no intention of causing fights or trouble. I just want my Geeking to be my business.

Portia

mobile nail tec said:
people are worried about get bad rep, think that is why people have 2 user names on here.
this is my opinion.

I disagree.

People seem to be making a huge issue out of good and bad reps, blaming them for everything that doesn't go according to plan on this site.

Frankly, I speak my mind and if someone wants to give me a bad rep for it, then so be it. I'm not going to change my name or get an additional user name just so that I don't get a bad rep.

However, some people feel that this is the only way they can say what they truly feel without receiving someone elses wrath. Sometimes it doesn't matter how brutal or how sensitive you say something, people just take it the wrong way and make a big issue.

We are an extremely large online community with 1000's of different views. There is no way that we will always agree with one another. What we do need to try and do is respect each others view and accept that people will disagree with us. End of story.

River

I have two user names, and I have only got bad rep on one of them - I still use the user name that I have got bad rep on as it is the one I have used the most!!

My other name is just 'Cadence' and I that was one I registered with first some time ago. I do not have them to come on and confuse people.

CadenceAlex said:
I have two user names, and I have only got bad rep on one of them - I still use the user name that I have got bad rep on as it is the one I have used the most!!

My other name is just 'Cadence' and I that was one I registered with first some time ago. I do not have them to come on and confuse people.

Can I just ask (coz i'm nosy) :smack: why you feel the need for two names?

I don't want this to degenerate in to a post about reputation points because that's not what the new ID is about. My 'other' user name has no bad rep points quite the opposite.

I only posted a 'hello' as I didn't want to jump in and reply to threads without at least observing the netiquette of saying hello first - we expect it of newbies, so do unto others and all that :D

Portia

this is gettin very confusing....im even confused when someone changes their avatar :rolleyes: lol

CadenceAlex said:

the difference here is Portia's other username was the same as her business name.
clients might want to try and find out about us techs via Google etc, they type in the business name "Nails by XYZ" and voila they come across the NailGeek site, they see threads/replies from "Nails by XYZ", they might not fully understand OR read the whole thread and see something innocent that they misunderstand... "Nails by XYZ" could lose business because of it.

I don't think it has anything to do with receiving bad rep, more a case of being able to speak freely without the possibility of damaging ones business.

Fingertips ND said:
Can I just ask (coz i'm nosy) :smack: why you feel the need for two names?

I registered a few months back... then never came on much, then stumbled across the site again and registered again... not realising I had already registered...

... well, then I forgot my password.. and so gave my details.. and then I got sent my username and password - which was 'Cadence'

THEN I realised (as I had no Geekmolians and had only written a couple of posts) that something was wrong...

.. so tried to get back on as CadenceAlex and just kept putting the password in until I got it right.

So it was never done to be sneaky or any other reason - I have got bad rep on this name, so if I were bothered, I could always go back to 'Cadence' !! (just kidding)

wendyrose said:
this is gettin very confusing....im even confused when someone changes their avatar :rolleyes: lol

Me too!

Ditto Sandi,

You got in there before me !! :)

River

ValencianNails said:
the difference here is Portia's other username was the same as her business name.
clients might want to try and find out about us techs via Google etc, they type in the business name "Nails by XYZ" and voila they come across the NailGeek site, they see threads/replies from "Nails by XYZ", they might not fully understand OR read the whole thread and see something innocent that they misunderstand... "Nails by XYZ" could lose business because of it.

I don't think it has anything to do with receiving bad rep, more a case of being able to speak freely without the possibility of damaging ones business.

i've got two usernames too. i first logged on under my full name because i was a right div and didn't understand that the username would be my "nickname". i didn't like the fact my full name was displayed everywhere so i logged on as something else within a couple of days and never used my original account. can't even remember the password for it.

iv just googled my name wendyrose, which is my name, and two posts from the nailgeek have come up on the first page of google...little worrying..i understand now why you changed it...

my user name is also my business name so anyone who googles it would come up with the nail geek site, dont think ive said anything bad........ but then i did go into graphic detail about the manicure from hell....... lol

I thought about changing my name too but dont think i'd bother with registering again, i'll just save up my geekmolians and do it that way.... would it change all previous posts to the new name too like when you change your avatar?

anyone want to donate me some geekmolians :green: ?

Latest posts

Back