NSS nail removal?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairynice

Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm hoping you may be able to advise me on the best way to remove a set of nss nails??? I have a client on Sunday who is coming to me to have a new set put on....despite having initial reservations re: price!!!!
I did explain why her nails were cheaper and why they didn't break easy or budge at all....and what the product and application was/is doing to her nails!!!
I am amazed that the public are so un informed????
So, I have my 1st referred client from an nss....help????
:hug::irked:
Not looking forward to this....
She also asked me if I applied thick?? when I said no she seemed upset ... as she thought this meant they would be stronger??!!!:eek:

I have had a couple of nss clients and they do seem to think that the thicker they are the stronger they are-one lady caught her hand in the car door-it tore the skin from the back of the nail but the nail didnt budge-THINK OF THE STRAIN AND TRAUMA CAUSED THERE.
Anyway, I just advise them on why enhancements are so cheap at nss and they can be just as strong without having to look like a lump of plastic on the end of their fingers, as well as the importance of proper preparation and application.
I am sure that once you have done them she will be amazed, if not well theres no hope lol.
Good luck hunny and have fun.
xx

I had a client last night phoning me for the same thing ,I educated her over the phone give her as much info as I could about NNS nails and basically advised her to grow them out and then call me back.

They can be soaked off but boy are they a pain in the butt, I dont think you ll be charging your normal soak off price when youve finished with them ..:lol:.The best thing you can do is debulk one , wrap it in foil n acetone and carry on that way till youve done all ten .But saying that if you do remove them you ll never know what state her natural nail will be in .If there badly damaged, remember acrylic isnt too good at staying on damaged nails!!!Therefore she may keep loosing her overlays untill her natural nail has recovered,you ll probly find a colour difference too btween your product and theirs, oh and dont forget over exposure due to taking ages soaking off!

Id also strongly advise to wear vinyl gloves , as you ll probly ind your hands itching like mad the next day.

The best thing you can do is just try to debulk and infill them the best you can,I ve had quite a few ex NNS peeps come to me at first I felt good to be helping them but I had complications with my product not adhering to some , and I had one lady said ..my nails werent strong enough ..like NNS nails are ,and didnt hear anymore from her.

Now if people phone with NNS nails I educate them over the phone , and tell them to grow them out and call me when theyve done, unless they are comitted financially to the complications they may acure. HTH.xx

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys...I am actually not charging a soak off as she is having a new set and is already complaining about the cost and her being on benefits..... I'm not budging on price!!:|

Aww I seriously feel for you! NSS nails are horrid to get off, and then when you do, who knows what you will find.
I used to have to all the time when working at my old job, and when in acetone they go all kinda sticky and gluey and take ages to disolve.

I personally wouldnt be doing it unless under instruction from an employer.
Ive found things as bad as holes, exposing the nail bed under those things.

I would just rebalance them for her if I were you. That way you are not going to expose those poor natural nails of hers.

I would just rebalance them for her if I were you. That way you are not going to expose those poor natural nails of hers.

You are so right, do not remove these nails!!!!!
File them down until you have what looks like a normal un-enhanced nail and then carry out your normal service. She will be amazed at how great they look when you have finished.

I have only ever once soaked of a set of nss, only because the client was starting her new job as a health care assistant and wasn't aloud enhancements. It took nearly 3 hours and what she found underneath made her cry. I gave her a solar oil manicure and told her how to massage the oil into the cuticle area twice daily to help stimulate new nail growth.
But having seen whats underneath, there is no way I would have tried to put a fresh set on her:Scared:

i too have had nss nails for soak off, its a blooooooming nightmare - i have also had the same advice that you have had here flower, but i chose to soak off - purely because there was no "greenies" etc, but thought "well if i get them off, i will know she got "proper" nails on. the client is now a regular, so that in itself must say summit. Also, i think you would get a color diff, no good if the client just wants p/w, the color diff will show, not good for you, as the on looking potential client will think " oh the color is diff" they wouldnt think to ask why. but anyway thats what i feel, but its entirely up to you flower. we all split on this = soak off or not for nss, so you will have to go with you gut feeling im afraid sweetcheeks

:hugs:

Id personally give her the options of what you can do and what the negatives will be , then let her choose.There is no way Id do the soak off for free , as these generally take ALOT longer to soak off than yours and my nails.:confused:

Id also like to mention dont forget to use seperate files for them and make sure you discard of them after..you dont want no contamminating going on in your files.

Please let us know how you get on ,would love to know and if you do decide to soak send us a pic of her damaged nails ah.Goodluck.:hug:

If the nails look ok and the client is happy then i re balance nails like these....it only takes a few visits before the old stuff has grown off and they are left with your work only on their nails.

I'm from South Africa and have never heard of NSS what type of product is this? I have battled with removing many sets of Acrylic. What is NSS the acronym for?

I'm from South Africa and have never heard of NSS what type of product is this? I have battled with removing many sets of Acrylic. What is NSS the acronym for?

NSS means Non Standard Salon....this can mean anything from being unclean...using MMA...having no licence/training...etc

When we talk about certain nails being a pain to soak off...and the smell...and the time it takes and worrying about what the nails will be like underneath, its because we suspect MMA has been used....MMA doesn't bond to the natural nail well at all, so techs (for want of a better word) who use MMA tend to rough the nail plate up to make for a better adhesion. This leads to thin, damaged nails.

If you do a search on MMA you'll find lots of threads about it.

Hi,
I had a client about 3 weeks ago booked in for just soak off. She had ripped a full nail off when seeing to her horse. The new nail was just starting to show. She wanted them off and planned to wait for her damaged nail to grow before having another set.
I did a full consultation and explained what I expected her nails to be. Sure enough when I started to file there was the strong fishy smell. So I decided that we would not soak off. I filed them down, blended zone 3 to her natural nail, they did have a lot of growth, at that time they were 6 weeks old. Then I took the length down. She is growing them out. I gave her a manicure and finished with a nice polish. There was no way those babies would have come off, no lifting, nothing, they were set rock solid.
I am sorry though that I did not wear gloves as I still have a red itchy patch on the wrist of my right arm, some filed product must have caught in the crease of my wrist, and I had some small red patches on my face for a few days. So beware!!!
I printed information about MMA and took it in for the girl, she was so shocked when she read it and was going to tell all her friends. She was so pleased I had rescued her nails. The bit I did see of her damaged nails it was tissue paper thin.
From all the replies you can now decide when you see the client, what you feel your best action is. And I too threw away all the files I had used. Then completely sanitised my whole nail desk.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug:

i too have had nss nails for soak off, its a blooooooming nightmare - i have also had the same advice that you have had here flower, but i chose to soak off - purely because there was no "greenies" etc, but thought "well if i get them off, i will know she got "proper" nails on. the client is now a regular, so that in itself must say summit. Also, i think you would get a color diff, no good if the client just wants p/w, the color diff will show, not good for you, as the on looking potential client will think " oh the color is diff" they wouldnt think to ask why. but anyway thats what i feel, but its entirely up to you flower. we all split on this = soak off or not for nss, so you will have to go with you gut feeling im afraid sweetcheeks

:hugs:

Thanks sweetie
My thoughts are similar to you in that it would be better to start a fresh...that is also what the client wants me to do. Fortunately she has only had them on since September...so hopefully her nails won't be too damaged???:hug::hug:

Id personally give her the options of what you can do and what the negatives will be , then let her choose.There is no way Id do the soak off for free , as these generally take ALOT longer to soak off than yours and my nails.:confused:

Id also like to mention dont forget to use seperate files for them and make sure you discard of them after..you dont want no contamminating going on in your files.

Please let us know how you get on ,would love to know and if you do decide to soak send us a pic of her damaged nails ah.Goodluck.:hug:

I shall make sure I post a piccie if they are damaged.....aren't we gruesome wanting to look at theses poor peoples nails.....lol :lol:

So how did it go then?:)

I have had a few of these nails in.

I always do a thorough consultation and inform the client of what she 'may' have on her nails.
If I can see no infection etc, I usually file down as best I can - wearing a mask if needed. Then rebalance.
If there is damage to the nail plate, it's protected whilst under the enhancement assuming there is no lift. This saves the client having to go through a couple of hours of soaking, scraping & buffing with the potential of allowing acetone to get into a damaged part of the plate & cause even more irritation to already damaged nails.
Once, a lady came in whose NSS nails seemed to be embedded into a groove drilled prior to application by the NSS tech, then acrylic pushed into the groove in the nail bed. I had a major problem getting a file into zone 3 to try and blend it, I was scared of damaging her new nail growth .
I rebalanced over it all in the end.
A client who works with this lady had advised her to come to me. And later told me she decided to remove the whole lot herself - using the tooth method & her nail plates were like mush underneath as she had managed to remove the MMA and nearly all her nail plates with her teeth!!!! Apparently, her fingers were so sore, she was off work for awhile.:irked:

Latest posts

Back