PB Nail Comps Dublin/Manchester Oct

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolate

Reaction score
Its PB nail comp time again so i am starting the ball rolling with Dublin as it comes first.

(Sorry to those who have PM'd me. I have been off due to my CTS op, :cry: but please email [email protected] if you have any other questions)

All the info is at Professional Beauty Ireland where all the rulres, regs, entry form and comp structure has gone live.

Flights and taxes are FREE :eek: at the moment with Ryan Air (may change any minute so dont hold me to it!) but you get the £24 bag charge. :irked: Still not bad. Bewleys Hotel on the RDS is perfect, normally 99 euros and has a great bar with lots of sofas. Not that i would need that because i will be busy working of course (ha ha ha).

It would be so fab to see some of our competitiors out in Dublin this year. For those that came last year, we had a great time, great categories and lots of prizes to be won to! The atmosphere is fab and the exhibtion is well worth a good look to.

Manchester info is coming soon, just waiting on final info before going live but keep an eye on www.professionalbeauty for more info.

Hope to see you there!

Really looking forward to the info on the manchester one, as are lots of us :hug:

I so so wish I was brave enough to give it a go this year lol,
But I think it would be wise to get me some comp training first so I know what to expect, as at the moment I would be going into it blind, and just hoping for the best :green:
But I am still looking forward to finding out the info, and hopefully seeing some comp geeks there,
Good luck in advance all of you x

As i am just finalising the rules for Manchester, this is also a good chance to ask what you want?

Categories - we were thinking of removing Combined nail art? This is causing headaches as we have so many categories now and however we move them, some will just have to be at the same time!

How would you feel about no awards on the Sunday, then we would have more time to stretch the categories out?

Prizes - if i can get them, what would you want?

Themes - we normally go with the make up, but any ideas?

Ta v v v much as always!

Just a quick reply on one of the points you raised there Rachel, about no awards on Sun (I presume doing all awards on Mon).

I only usually am able to come to comps on a Sun as I often work a mon but also have kids at school and not a lot of help on the childcare front so from my point of view I would be able to compete on the Sun but would totally miss out on the awards and if I was to win anything (ha ha) as wouldn't be able to attend on the Mon. Maybe you could start the comps earlier in the day? I think Nailympics starts at 7.30 am or something stupid!!

And Emmsybabes, if you would only have more confidence in yourself honey!! I have sen your nails and If you entered a comp you would wipe the floor with all the die hard comp heads!!! I'm serious! Get your butt into those comps now!!!! (and fab news about your daughter and her SATS) xx

Well I will be there at Manchester.
plz dont get rid of the combined nail art, Its such great fun & I think its an important part of the nail art comp & lets people show there creative side
I think starting earlier is a good idea & maybe making it so everyone has to register before the comp rather than on the day,
Also with regards to the combined nail art the headache seems normally to be the exact rules 1 hand or 2, timescales, can things be pre-made, costumes etc.
make rules simple but Please dont get rid of the whole catagory x x

cant wait to see what the theme is for the photographic in manchester.

i goin to make sure i have enough time this yr last yr i booked the day off work to do the nails and ended up getting called in and had to do it in 1 hours NOT GOOD!! lol but had paid my entry fee so wasnt going to back out.

Well I will be there at Manchester.
plz dont get rid of the combined nail art, Its such great fun & I think its an important part of the nail art comp & lets people show there creative side
I think starting earlier is a good idea & maybe making it so everyone has to register before the comp rather than on the day,
Also with regards to the combined nail art the headache seems normally to be the exact rules 1 hand or 2, timescales, can things be pre-made, costumes etc.
make rules simple but Please dont get rid of the whole catagory x x

Im with Vik on this. . . every day I check to see if the rules are out!!!! Im such a blummin geek hee hee
What about something like mad max for theme that would be such fun
Could we keep in the fantasy but have similar rules to the nailympics where the nails are done prior to the show and we have an hour ish to finalise hair, make-up and put nails on!!! please please
Jo x:eek:x

Well i have just got back from Dublin (literally! :zzz::zzz:) and had a great time setting up the comp. The categories, prizes and arena are all great. Expo Events are an amazing team and it promises to be a great exhibition! :)

Fews answers to emails - Bewleys is the best hotel as you can walk round to the RDS, Four Seasons is next door but v v expensive. The Aircoach is 7 euros (12 return) and takes you from Dublin airport right to the hotel and returns every 20 minutes. Can back into Dublin is 10 mins and about 10-15 euros. Look on the web for cats. Theme is Four Seasons. Judges are mostly irish, but i am taking Kirsty Meakin with us for the nail art. Hope that helps!

Back to Manchester - Really good points and i take them all on board, ta v much. Emap/PB will not allow us to have an early entry, and in fact they have moved it back half hour! Registration at Excel in Feb was at 10am. Apparantly security will not allow us in earlier. :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) So that cuts time down. Everything always seems such a rush, and competitors dont get time to eat between the 2 cats, plus we have to add up like mad to get the scores/results done. But i do agree, its a pain for those that cannot return on the monday. Difficult one....

Im gonna fight to keep combined nail art in, throughout my 15 years with K-Sa-Ra, all i ever wanted was nail art category and im not going to lose it without a fight!!! If you can bring items in pre-made, how can we prove the work is yours? Its great for allowing more extravagant work, but what if the competitor had help?

Manicure got taken out, but is now back as i proved it was wanted, and now we have pedicure to. I need support from competitiors to enter or i will not have a leg to stand on next time.:eek:

Our meeting is Fri 8th Aug so will all go live shortly after.

Once again, v v v grateful for feedback! :)

Back to Manchester - Really good points and i take them all on board, ta v much. Emap/PB will not allow us to have an early entry, and in fact they have moved it back half hour! Registration at Excel in Feb was at 10am. Apparantly security will not allow us in earlier. :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) So that cuts time down. Everything always seems such a rush, and competitors dont get time to eat between the 2 cats, plus we have to add up like mad to get the scores/results done. But i do agree, its a pain for those that cannot return on the monday. Difficult one....

Im gonna fight to keep combined nail art in, throughout my 15 years with K-Sa-Ra, all i ever wanted was nail art category and im not going to lose it without a fight!!! If you can bring items in pre-made, how can we prove the work is yours? Its great for allowing more extravagant work, but what if the competitor had help?
Our meeting is Fri 8th Aug so will all go live shortly after.

Once again, v v v grateful for feedback! :)

Hi Rachel ...my you have been busy...talk about a jet set lifestyle xx

What about if everybody did story boards for their combined nail art as we do for boxed media and maybe that may help.
I know it would be possible for some to gain the help of others but that could happen on mixed media and photographic.
At the end of the day those who would make the choice to cheet would also have to live with the fact that they did not actually win a place.
It would be the chance we would all have to take on entering but I think it would be a good challenge and I bet more people would enter and the artwork would be fantastic x

OOOOOh I want to start now :lol:

Either way I can see that it is not easy to arrange competitions !!!
good luck hun

Jo xx

I know a few of my student would be interested in this if they could prepare the nails before the show as this would take some if not alot of pressure of them.

Sorry a bit short and sweetr from my not my usual style:lol:

Well how about 2 1/2 hours like the old style nail art but only to do 1 hand to the standard of the other, If 1 hand is pre made & 2 1/2 hours to do the other that should give everyone the chance to compete.
Also could you make the rules really clear if items that are not hand made can be used on the design (wire, miniture dolls things etc etc).
I think if EVERYTHING is pre made it takes the fun & the skill out of the comp, But agree 1 hand should be done b4.
and again thanks for organising these comps x

Fab ideas, ta v much, anyone have anything else to add as i have the meeting on Friday?

Unfortunatly, i can now confirm that the Manchester Nail Competition (Oct 12th /13th 2008) has been cancelled. I was informed by email on Monday evening but as i have been out of the office for 2 days, i only read the email today.

I would to confirm that the nail comp in Dublin (Oct 5th / 6th 2008) will still be taking place. Although they use the PB logo, it is owned by Expo Events so is therefore not affected.

On a personal note, i am so sorry to all those competitiors that have put time and effort into preparing for this competition.

At the moment i have no further information.

omg the 1st year i was going to enter and i can't GUTTED :mad::cry::cry: will still go to PB but it won't be the same in some ways :(

What a shame, i was going to enter for the first time this year aswell....

Maybe ill have a look into going to dublin instead , if im allowed that is LMAO :lol:

just 1 thought.,,

i for one only travel to events like these to compete or judge.

There has been a massive surge in the last few yrs re; comps and Im hoping that this doesnt set a precedent for future exhibitions.

A few companies have pulled out mainly due to rising costs and if we cant buy from our suppliers or compete, there doesnt seem to be many reasons for me to pay out for hotels and travel.

There was a lot of talk after olympia about whether these shows have run their couse..

I hope not, as its always a high point in my yr.

It keeps the passion high.

Fingers crossed its a one off:cry:

oh no................. i am glad i booked for dublin now! is anyone going to dublin?

i was going to compete at manchester but i wont be going just for the show,
i cant go to dublin as i dont have a passport and it would cost a fortune for me and my models so that one is out too :cry:

There are 2 posts going on this subject now and i can see how you all feel.

Liza, that is great feedback and exactly what i need. Ta v much. There are lots ofther techs that are not going now. I have worked really hard since i took over the comp admin 3 years ago to make the comp run smoothly. Every tech has worked hard to improve their own standard and take the time out to enter the comps. Together it was a good thing, so why have they cancelled.................? I have a meeting with PB/Emap today so hopefully will know more and post tonight.

All comments welcome please, i need to let PB/Emap know what they have done and the knock on effect that this will cause!

Latest posts

Back