please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't do flat colours, i hand paint flowers etc, christmas, easter, valentine designs. loads of different things. i can't understand why people say they are so damaging tho, most of my friends have them and their nails are still perfect when soaked off.
I can imagine that when most people are applying them they dont worry about prepping the nails first.
Just think of the dirt and bacterial that is left on the nail plate and what about the type of adhesive used this can all damage the nails.

For all the ones you know who are fine though there might be several who have a problem, maybe people you dont know who buy from you. Some people might not even realise they have a problem. Not everyone will complain, they might just not come back or not realise and stick new ones on.

If you do a search on her for stick ons and also for greenies you'll find a lot to read. I didn't realise you did a conversion to Creative rather than your initial training. Did you hear anything about nail problems and so on with your original course?

I read an article on line about nails being pre done, as far as art goes.
The manicurist does them in advance in many sizes.
They have 3d work, rhinestones and glitter.(nail art in some cases extreme) The prices vary, and it stated that some of the work takes up to 2 hours to complete. They are priced and sold with a strong double sided (nail sized) tape.
I was thinking, wow you dont have to put up with a complaining, or lots of other things that go with a human being. My self, questiong,proper sizing?
They are sold, only to be worn for the party/match an outfit/like a piece of jewlery. (Not for extended wearing)

A nail tech here in town has a website and she offers this type of nail/colored acrylic with a clause in her instructions that they must be put on by a professional.
They are priced extremely high, both of these places claim that they have many orders.
I will try to track down the sites, if anyone is interested.
I will stick to doing nails on my human clients.

As for finding nail tips, go back to your roots, contact the original company that you recieved education.
I had a project that had to have the same size of nail tips, I ordered over 20 boxes of the same size, out of the entire batch, only one box was not up to quality standards you can get an exchange, or refund if you know who you dealt with in the first place.
Good luck!

i think the main reason i don't do other treatments and nail enhancements is because i lack confidence. i know i am good at nail art that is why i mainly do false nails. i have tryed so hard to get a job in a salon but had no luck, i feel i am good at treatments and nail enhancements but my shyness and lack of confidence lets me down. my last interview i had to do a half leg wax, i done a good job but it took me 50 mins which let me down. didn't get the job! i'm stuck working at cra**y sainsburys. i trainned with star nails five years ago and thought the trainning was rubbish. i done a conversion course with creative last year and still need to do a masters course. i studyed beauty at the oxford international college of beauty, they were excellent. not sure how i can gain confidience as i have not been given the chance. :cry:

i see now hun!!!!...what about doing what bagpuss said and advertise in local paper...ask some of your work colleges at sainsburys to practise on...say you will charge them £10 for a full set and if they want your extra work (your designs)that will be £5 extra......then you can build up your own business....xx

i see now hun!!!!...what about doing what bagpuss said and advertise in local paper...ask some of your work colleges at sainsburys to practise on...say you will charge them £10 for a full set and if they want your extra work (your designs)that will be £5 extra......then you can build up your own business....xx

i agree, there must be plenty of women in sainsburys that have their nails enhanced, if you can make 'stick ons' look nice then think what you could do a proper 'nail' get out there practising hun, start mobile evenigns and weekends, and i'm sure you can make a go of it, if people know your new and just starting out, they will understand if you take a bit longer than usual hun, this could be reflected in your price for the first few months maybe

i think you should grab yourself some confidence and get yourself out there hun, such a shame to waste so much money on good training and not to utilise it, but if you decide to start up, please drop the stick ons, as it wont look professional babe and you will be underselling your work sweetheart,

look forward to seeing your work a real hand in the near future hun :)

i have been doing hand painted nails for the past year and i buy the false nails in bulk off ebay. when my clients want short ones it takes me ages to file down. does anyone know where i can buy short full cover false nails from? i know boots sell them but i need somewhere alot cheaper. i hope someone can help. thanks jodie xxx :cry:

i do mean the full cover ones that you glue on yourself. in boots you can buy 100 of them for £8.99 i need a bulk of them. i buy 500 long ones off ebay for £3.99 but i am desperate for short ones.

Like these?
Retroland | Lee Press-On nails

I have always hated what happens with these "stick on nails" but I have today read an article in this weeks Grazia Magazine by our very own MUM (Marian Newman) and I now wonder if our industry is changing views on these too! Would be interesting to hear from Mum to see if the article was produced as she thought.

Has anybody else read it?

nope....whats it say...?

nope....whats it say...?

Trying to find a link for you but it talks about the fact that Marian needed to use a set of stick on nails on a 'star' as there wasnt time for any other and Marian said how fantastic they looked. To give Marian her dues she goes on to say the correct way of applying them but they are now being called "The £5.79 A-List Manicure"!

Can someone please tell me the difference between stick on nails and prescription nails????? After all they are both stuck on with glue ?????

IMO...its not stick on nails i am against....its how people use them, they apply them to un prepped nails and keep them on too long, some pick em off (yes i have seen this) and re-apply in the same night and keep doing this for months....they leaves gaps where moisture can get in cos they are not sized right, this results in greenies and so on and so on.

Yes for a special night out, once in a while and when there is no time for a salon visit and removed the next day.

No for long term use.

I get what your saying you are making bespoke stick on nails like in boots but hand painted ! I dont advocate them myself but the idea is good for poeple who do use these and i know alot of peaple do what do you charge for a set just out of curiosity? xx

I have seen these pre-designed nails being sold on e-bay but have never understood how you can size them without seeing the clients nails in real life so to speak ???
I actually hate stick on nails always have they look too false imo but I suppose if you have found a niche that you can do and make some money from then at the same time who am I to judge you.

Hi Jodie

I don't know of any wholesalers in your area, but maybe you could;google, yellow pages or politely ask in a local salon to be referred to their nail wholesalers.

Or, you could buy tip cutters. Tip cutters will save you having to file the nail down. They are widely availlable. I have seen them in high street pharmacies such as Boots, Superdrug etc. If you are not able to get them in a pharmacy, then you will have to go to a nail wholesalers.

It is an idea to advise your clients to make sure their nails are clean and dry before applying the tips, for hygiene reasons (if you don't advise them of this already). This will also demonstrate your professionalism.

If what you are doing is selling custom-made stick ons-I think this is a great business idea. I have seen similar products in Boots, Superdrug and even my wholesalers.

Good luck!

Can someone please tell me the difference between stick on nails and prescription nails????? After all they are both stuck on with glue ?????

I think they are pretty much the same thing. However those who have done the prescription training are under the impression that they are now qualified nail technicians.:eek:

Also the prescription nail "training" suggests you gently slide the prescription nail up under the 'bit of skin around the nail' (eponychiun) to help secure it.:eek:

In my opinion the prescription nails are worse because these people think they are qualified nail professionals and may give unprofessional/dangerous advice to their clients.

Poor girl! She got a bit of a hammering!

Yes, I did have a piece in Grazia last week about 'stick-ons' and it was pretty accurate to what I said.

'Stick ons' can cause 'greenies'. So can enhanced nails! But only of they are either not applied properly or the wearer is not educated.

This bit of the retail market has been around for years and has grown phenomenally! Just take a look at the shelves in the chemists. Apart from the fact that the article was true, the main reason for doing it was to start a bit of education in the right way to wear them.

No amount of industry 'shock horror' of the method will make it go away. It is very big business. 'Stick ons', like hair or waxing products will never hurt the professional industry. If I can get something in the media that makes these products safer, I will.

It sounds to me that our thread starter has found a nice little niche for herself and while she is educating her customers, why not? So many on here worry about not earning enough or getting enough clients. There is nothing wrong in looking sideways sometimes and finding ways to grow.

Who thought Geeg would endorse something like Popits a few yeas ago? She's found a product and done a fabulous job in making it work for her customers. Why not. Nothing wrong with change if it's done well.

Well done Jodie! Just remember to keep up the education for your customers.

Yes, I did have a piece in Grazia last week about 'stick-ons' and it was pretty accurate to what I said.

'Stick ons' can cause 'greenies'. So can enhanced nails! But only of they are either not applied properly or the wearer is not educated.

This bit of the retail market has been around for years and has grown phenomenally! Just take a look at the shelves in the chemists. Apart from the fact that the article was true, the main reason for doing it was to start a bit of education in the right way to wear them.

No amount of industry 'shock horror' of the method will make it go away. It is very big business. 'Stick ons', like hair or waxing products will never hurt the professional industry. If I can get something in the media that makes these products safer, I will.

It sounds to me that our thread starter has found a nice little niche for herself and while she is educating her customers, why not? So many on here worry about not earning enough or getting enough clients. There is nothing wrong in looking sideways sometimes and finding ways to grow.

Who thought Geeg would endorse something like Popits a few yeas ago? She's found a product and done a fabulous job in making it work for her customers. Why not. Nothing wrong with change if it's done well.

My reaction was based on my training as I was educated about the problems caused by stick on's and other temp nails and from many of the replies I'm not the only one. If you've been taught something you tend to think thats correct. This is when I get confused. You get taught, and training being important is constantly driven home here, but then suddenly stick ons are fine, so what do I think now, was my training wrong? I'm not trying to be stroppy, honest, I just dont understand. I almost feel reprimanded for an opinion based on training. :confused:

I thought that was going to be your stance on it Mum and that was why I didnt want to pass judgement on the article until I had heard it direct from the horses mouth (not that you are a horse - and if you are a very lovely one:hug:). When I read the article it did make me think of the current PopIts situation. I was glad to see your advice on the right way to do these stick ons so lets just hope that these people take heed of your advice.

x x x

Thanks for your comments.

i think the main reason i don't do other treatments and nail enhancements is because i lack confidence. i know i am good at nail art that is why i mainly do false nails. i have tryed so hard to get a job in a salon but had no luck, i feel i am good at treatments and nail enhancements but my shyness and lack of confidence lets me down. my last interview i had to do a half leg wax, i done a good job but it took me 50 mins which let me down. didn't get the job! i'm stuck working at cra**y sainsburys. i trainned with star nails five years ago and thought the trainning was rubbish. i done a conversion course with creative last year and still need to do a masters course. i studyed beauty at the oxford international college of beauty, they were excellent. not sure how i can gain confidience as i have not been given the chance. :cry:

awww have a hug firstly :hug:
I have not read this thread until now, and it has made interesting reading,

Now I would say..IF you would eventually like to set up your own business as a nail technician you have come to the right place hun,
Speaking from experience I was sooooo nervous at the thought of working on clients I almost dropped out of college a few times,
The thought now that my confidence could have held me back from doing what I abserloutly LOVE with a passion sends shivers down my spine :eek:

We are all very supportive on here believe it or not hunny, we are also VERY passionate about our work..which is one of the reasons you recieved some of your responses aswell as plain curiosity,
We have so many uneducated, untrained and unprofessional "techs" out there..a lot of us become deffensive sometimes...human nature,
you protect your love and your lively-hood,

This site will help your confidence grow, and will take you from practing on tips to getting your work published in the media...honestly
You will get out of this site what you put in and more,

On the stick on tips topic, I'm not sure what I think yet,
I just know I used them myself for years but they hurt me....I lost them all by the end of a drunken night out...And yep they did wreck my nails.
All down to me being uneducated I suppose,

But I am also open to the fact our industry is constantly changing and I for one am glad for this site and the people on it to keep us updated...
If stick on nails are going to become the next "thing" and my clients are going to want them...I don't want to be left behind the current trends...
I dont like many of the designs I do on clients....but i do them because that is what they want, and its my job to provide them with a professional service,
If they want stick ons and I can apply them professionally Then I probably will,
although i did refuse to stick some on my neighbours "wrong hand" for her a few weeks ago...as "im not trained to do that" lmao...
she looked at me like I was a geeky robot :green:

have i totally gone off topic again ??? i think i have havent i :lol:

poor girl this went way off topic she simply asked where she could buy nails from and got a dressing down big time
the bottom line is she is doing a job that she enjoys and its not for her to preach about it she can advise and then its left to the customer
do you go to a pub and expect the barman to sit you down and warn you about the dangers of alcohol?
or the news agent to preach about cigarettes every time you buy a packet of fags?
or macdonalds staff warn you about the fat content and heart disease?
we do what we can to warn people but then its up to them

Latest posts

Back