Pro description of Hair Removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBack&Beyond

Reaction score
Geeks, I beg.

Please can we agree on the correct terminology for hair removal? If we don't know the right words - then what on earth can we expect our customers to say?

Recently I have seen depilation and epliation to be used interchangebly.

Lets please agree;

Epilation; hair removal from the root. Wax, thread, sugar or pluck.
Depilation; removal of visible hair removal via stinky creams, shaving, etc

Your opinions? J.

I'm not a waxer, but as a consumer I thought it was the other way round, why? Because hair removal cream is known as depilatory cream and those gadgets you get that pull the hairs out from the roots are called epilators?????
I'm very confused now!!!

Lou x

I'm not a waxer, but as a consumer I thought it was the other way round, why? Because hair removal cream is known as depilatory cream and those gadgets you get that pull the hairs out from the roots are called epilators?????
I'm very confused now!!!

Lou x

Yes you are right, epilation refers to permanent hair removal via electrolysis, depilation is waxing, sugaring, plucking, threading and tweezing and all the hair will return. Hope this helps!

Are you a bit confused yourself?

Wikipedia:

Depilation is the removal of the part of the hair above the surface of the skin. The most common form of depilation is shaving or trimming. Another option is the use of chemical depilatories, which work by breaking the disulfide bonds that link the protein chains that give hair its strength, making the hair disintegrate.

Epilation is the removal of the entire hair, including the part below the skin. Methods include waxing, sugaring, epilation devices, lasers, threading, intense pulsed light or electrology. Hair is also sometimes removed by plucking with tweezers.

Got this from wikipedia!

Depilation is the removal of the part of the hair above the surface of the skin. The most common form of depilation is shaving or trimming. Another option is the use of chemical depilatories, which work by breaking the disulfide bonds that link the protein chains that give hair its strength, making the hair disintegrate.

Epilation is the removal of the entire hair, including the part below the skin. Methods include waxing, sugaring, epilation devices, lasers, threading, intense pulsed light or electrology. Hair is also sometimes removed by plucking with tweezers.

hth's

ha ha great minds Kim :) xx

Got this from wikipedia!

hth's

Ha Ha! Good job we're honest Rachael. We could have passed it off as our own. x

Last edited:
Are you a bit confused yourself?

Wikipedia:

I stand corrected, must tell my old college lecturers as that's what they taught me, but I'm glad this is finally cleared up and by such a great guru. Thanks Kim

Without looking at the wikipedia info, I would have said epilation is electrolysis and depilation is other kinds of hair removal including waxing. However there is a wholesaler who sell wax products under the title epilation....

But to be really honest Jason, I don't think it matters that much because clients don't exactly ring up and ask to be epilated / depilated.. they ask for waxing, threading, electrolysis...:hug:

But to be really honest Jason, I don't think it matters that much because clients don't exactly ring up and ask to be epilated / depilated.. they ask for waxing, threading, electrolysis...:hug:
I agree! It's the same with different names for film wax, soft wax, warm wax etc etc. I know what you're getting at though Jason. Life ain't that easy I'm afraid :) so don't stress over it. x

Ahh, see - there's some logic I didn't get. You're right. I don't ring my dentist and ask him to look out for claries!!

But; Lou, Kim and Rachel - your posts are Exactly what I was saying - now I'm confused by you thinking I'm confused in the first place :) :)

"Depilation; removal of visible hair removal
via stinky creams, shaving, etc"

"Depilation is the removal of the part of the hair above the surface
of the skin. The most common form of depilation is shaving or trimming. Another option is the use of chemical depilatories, which work by breaking the disulfide bonds that link the protein chains that give hair its strength, making the hair disintegrate."

"Epilation; hair removal from the root. Wax, thread, sugar or pluck."

"Epilation is the removal of the entire hair
, including the part below the skin. Methods include waxing, sugaring, epilation devices, lasers, threading, intense pulsed light or electrology. Hair is also sometimes removed by plucking with tweezers."

Jx

Well I mus apologise Jason, because I obviously misread your original post......what a numpty!!! that's what late night geeking does for me........I couls have sworn you had written it the other way round.
Sorry:o

Latest posts

Back