Professional Beauty 2011 - London Baby!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the show was superb. Didn't expect the companies to be out i such force.

Sorry, I sneaked the sweet squared queue. No sign of any boils yet.

I really have never said I was nice.

Honestly ladies, I suspect it wasn't just me that enjoyed the long S2 queue at Excel?! Yes, it was huge, but I went to the show on my own and think that queueing for Shellac 2.0 was one of the best parts of the day: the smiling faces of S2 staff as they walked up and down the queue chatting/handing out leaflets, watching Kelly's demos (and admiring her fab French stilettoes!) on the TV screen, meeting new technicians and telling them just how FANTASTIC Shellac is, chatting to Samantha and Samuel Sweet, being greeted by even more smiling faces at the tills (including Kelly's)... in fact, glancing over to the Jessica stand to see so many sullen faces was the only negative experience I had of the queue! It was lovely to meet some of you - just wish I could've squeezed in closer to some of the demos, and met more Geeks (but I was there on the Sunday, not today for the Geek Meet), but S2 honestly gave me the best experience of the day - the energy that was there couldn't be matched on any other stand. :biggrin:

Wow!

I went to the PB show (both days) and was totally overwhelmed by the amount of people there! I went to Olympia last year but there were no way near that many stalls and brands!

Queued for my Shellac for just over an hour and it was soooo worth it! Although the queue jumpers and 'shovers' were completely over the top and SO blatant! Just wait your blo**y turn like the rest of us :mad:

There are a few complaints from me though...

Organisation was practically zero from the PB staff. Parking and inside the event. There were 4 male members of staff 'trying' to move people away from the entrance by telling them there was another queue round the other side of the CND stand...(which was untrue!) I didn't want to risk losing my place so I stood my ground!

The amount of under 16's I saw, (kids, toddlers and peoples teenagers) was unbelievable! Even groups of young girls just wandering round saying 'lets see how many free things we can get!' Drove me mad!

Also, I'd bet my LIFE that well over 50% of the people in the event were NOT professionals. These also seemed to be the people who were pushing, trampling and queue jumping the most. I witnessed people stealing, bad mouthing and even saw one lady's arm get cut by a hostile-bag-carrying 'pusher'.

I overheard at least 10 conversations in queue's about working without insurance, not even knowing what products actually do or how to use them (the conversation in question was a lady asking her friend exactly how to 'do nails' on clients as she'd never done them before.)

One of the stall holders asked a customer if they were interested in buying in bulk for their business, she replied 'oh no, I'm just here with my friend for a day out' (She was carrying 3 bottles of tanning solution!) :eek:

So awful that the rules aren't stricter. The calibre of most stalls was as I expected, very good. However, there were more than a few 'low end' cheap stalls selling all manner of tat (which is massively over-sold to look better than it is!)

Overall, had a great 2 days, loads of bargains from top brands and info readily available. I'd definitely go again if the 'non-professionals' were monitored more strictly and the organisation was better! x

Problem is how do you vet a few thousand visitors?

We went on Sunday and arrived at 9.30pm and joined the queue for the car park. We got to the entrance at 10am with sooo many others and it was a mad dash for the top stands.
I made sure I got to my favs first then jostled with the crowds for others.
I thought that there were good stands and not so good. I thought the Sienna X stand was nice and open, with easy access. The Perron R stand was too small really for the amount of interest. Great staff tho. I did manage to ask a question and a really helpful lady demonstrated the correct application of the PR non-strip for me - So I could see where I was going wrong - many thanks! Had a set of EL extensions done by Amazing Lashes which were great and lovely staff too. Also The Eve Taylor stand was fab! Really lovely lady on hand to advise. Tried the new Men's range, loved it and nearly bought the stock! Great feedback today from 2 gents aswell so thanks to them. The smaller stands were difficult to get to and the queue for the food kiosks at lunchtime were long, but overall I loved it. That's not to say that it ran well tho. They need a better parking system and entry too.

I didn't know where to go first! I absolutely loved it. My first beauty show was Olympia last year , but this was just fantastic. I had an amazing day yesterday.

I hear what you're saying but even the thought of 'vetting' is surely enough to put non-professionals off! If they thought they would have to prove their qualifications it may reduce the amount of them that 'slip through the net' x

I hear what you're saying but even the thought of 'vetting' is surely enough to put non-professionals off! If they thought they would have to prove their qualifications it may reduce the amount of them that 'slip through the net' x

Trouble being that not all owners, decision makers and buyers in a salon or spa will be qualified therapists.

Trouble being that not all owners, decision makers and buyers in a salon or spa will be qualified therapists.

Thats true I suppose, but I presume most will have a qualified therapist/member of staff with them for the show and won't be wandering around aimlessly buying all sorts!

The chancers, skinflints, wannabe's and dangerously un-qualified practising people out there would surely be put off by the thought of vetting?! There were so many at the show, its disheartening! :sad: x

I don't think the ques were too bad other than at the S2 stand x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

That is of course the million dollar question Fozzyo.

Stateside you need to provide your relevant licence number (which is registered against your home or business address) and this number is easily and quickly checkable with the relevant authority, online in most cases.

Also there are not machines churning out pre registered badges either at the shows you get it in the post or collection from a manned stand where you must show licence (or proof of business for non hands on salon ans spa owners). Saying this, obviously it cannot be 100% foolproof but it is a pretty good way to weed out a lot of non pros right from the start.

You never see children, prams or the likes and at some of the bigger shows you are not allowed wheelies.

I choose not to use my VIP badge for excel after visiting Olympia/Manchester and not being overly impressed, I know folks say it was really different but as I am a bit claustrophobic for me it sounds like hell on earth and I can't do queues! I am happy to read though that everyone seemed to enjoy the experience give or take though.

I received the paperwork for Birmingham this morning but next for me is premier in Orlando, so I understand the excitement towards Excel for some as I really enjoy the Florida show and get quite excited about it, shame my bank manager doesn't, maybe I should take him along, no on second thoughts he doesn't have a licence........

Last edited:
I did get frightened off by the ques at S2 so decided to go back to them half an hour from the end. It seemed a lot quieter then......I felt soooo sorry for anyone who had paid for a stand anywhere near S2 because people couldn't get to see their products for the amount of people standing watching S2 & their TV, there was so much pushing & shoving.

We have so much we want to see at Excel yet Geeks were spending 1 1/2 hours queing , then 1/2 quing somewhere else etc.... could we not get a ticket like they do at Tesco & Sainsburys & just come back when it is nearer our time.

I would have loved to have spent more time shopping than queing!

Still glad I went though:biggrin:

I went yesterday with **Claire** and had a great day. We arrived at 9:50am, went straight into the car park with no queue. Claire got her Shellac with not much of a wait and then we split up to do our own thing. I had my map with all the stands marked out of where I wanted to go and breezed round everything. We were in the car and out but just gone 1pm when it was getting totally mad. Get in, get out!

Only complaint was that we were not permitted to enter the VIP lounge between 12pm and 1pm as the 'VVIP's were in there (whatever that flippin means?). Beings as this was lunch time we were in need of a sit down.

Didn't get a free goody bag either but as Martin says, if it was full of Dermalogica I would have given it to my little sister anyway.

Didn't get my free Champers either but the queue for it was stupid (errr, I'll stop at Oddbins on the way home)

On the whole though I thought a very successful show and met many people that I had not see for years (Olivia from Thalgo, now at The Sanctuary - my I've missed you!) x

Last edited:
Oh my god how many visitors!! Over 33,000 ... that's why there were queues!

On the whole we thought it was a great weekend alot to see and do, the goodie bags were just demalogica, and they were handing them out to everyone when we got ours so its no suprise they went so quick and the champers ran out before we got any but hey ho didnt go for that, shame its so expensive to exibit would love to be there with a stand just couldnt afford it this year maybee next r even olympia xxxxxxxx

Oh my god how many visitors!! Over 33,000 ... that's why there were queues!

I was told they were expecting 13,000 students on Monday!!

i went on monday and i couldnt believe how busy it was.
whilst i understand the reasons that cnd could not bring more products i was still disapointed.i am not cnd trained but i do use there tips etc.. and i thought it would be a good chance for me to see things being demonstrated unfortunately i couldnt do either.
i was also disapointed at asking questions at the nsi stand as i was made to feel like i was asking stupid questions.
the opi stand was horrendous as you couldnt even get to look at the polishes let alone buy any and was gutted when i finally got to ask someone about black shatter they had sold out even though the show hadnt been open for a couple of hours.
this year it seemed really difficult to watch any demonstrations of any brand.
i feel sorry for people that dont go on the first day as a few things had already sold out so quickly on day one that consumers on the second day may have struggled even more with things selling out!
lastly it was a real shame i didnt get to meet any other geeks as its always nice to put a face to a name

I queued for 40 minutes to buy Lumos! I think S2 needs someone to order the queue. You know like they do in tescos, have someone directing people to the next available till. I think they should have roped off the tills as I wanted to poke peoples eyes out for queue jumping. I agree, it wasn't clear where the queue was, and I think a lot of people unintentionally jumped the queue. QUOTE]

Yes, this would have been a good idea, maybe next time the "s" ropes for queing, with the ropes all the way until the end of the tills, with the till staff having a "next please" sign they could hold up - would be good.

Later in the day I popped back to S2 to see if I could get some solar oil & luckily only qued for 30mins, but it was hard to see what til was free, as there was just a mass of people, so the "next please" signs would be helpful for next time.
I wonder if S2 will launch another 12 at next years PB! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back