rude salon owner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to get around all this discrimination I'd just say "thankyou very much, I have a number of applicants, thankyou for your call", there's no discrimination in that at all.

Now I'm gonna throw the ball back in your court ... would you hire a (lets say Asian nail technician that lobbed on your doorstep with an e'file in her hand?

You are starting to sound like hypocrites with no standards of your own when you are on the other end of a deal.

We all have the right to choose...... you chose your partner, or was that some kind of discrimination also?

If you care .... you discern (and thats your right) and if you don't care, perhaps you would like a pre-arranged marriage.

You know where I am coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I'm with you here Carl.

I had a soft furnishing business and advertised for a machinist.

I had applications from, a girl that 'liked sewing', a lady that 'knew all that there was to know about curtains', a man that wanted to 'teach me more about soft furnishing' etc etc etc

I wanted a bloody machinist - whats wrong with that ???

Last edited by a moderator:
As a salon owner, firstly I would have given an interview, checking through their certificates and references given & then a trial on how the applicant works in nails, waxing, beauty etc. The trial shows how confident the applicant is, also technics, skills on how they work, and the end results.

Age is nothing to do with it, as long as full qualifications are met & the applicant is confident with themselves & their work skills, it's that that will shine through.

I hate rude people who bang down the phone, I would of called the salon owner back & asked why she did this as it was very unprofessional of her to do so..........then who would of looked like the childish one?!

I would of done exactly the same, Id of hit re-dial straight away !

Its a shame when therapists can't find work, I have been really lucky as I live in area with lots of Spas so I never had a problem finding employment however I have noticed jobs in high street salons are very hard to come by.

I think there is a lot of discrimination in the beauty industry your either to young or to old ! From my experience therapists nearly always have to work weekends and I think salon owners don't want younger girls coming in with a steaming hangover or moaning about the hours so they go for older therapists which they see as being more relaible and not likely to go clubbing every saturday night. Thats just what i have experienced and im sure not everywhere is the same.

Have you thought of looking further afield or sending your cv off to local salons even if they don't have an advertisement ?

Of course each individual can choose who they want in any kind of thing whether it be partner,employee, as if i was a salon owner i would be choosing who i think fits the job ....But i do think it was terribly rude of her to be as childish to put the phone down on this young lady as im sure at one stage this salon owner was lets say 18 and was starting out im sure she wouldnt of wanted the phone slamed down on her.

In my opinion i think too many people in this world are judgemental on age beauty industry has absoloutly nothing to do with age its all about the skills that count. Imo i would have inteveiwed the girl first like many other geeks have said, i think thats the right approach to take as a salon owner. Some people just let it get to their heads and dont care how they're making others feel.

I have to say I'm with you here Carl.

I had a soft furnishing business and advertised for a machinist.

I had applications from, a girl that 'liked sewing', a lady that 'knew all that there was to know about curtains', a man that wanted to 'teach me more about soft furnishing' etc etc etc

I wanted a bloody machinist - whats wrong with that ???

their profesional credentials didnt match that of the job description. not their age / sex / race.

their qualifications and 'professional credentials' are changable, therefor not what 'god' gave them and can be improved upon. Whereas their age sex race, they cannot change. hence the reason they cannot be discriminated against because of them.

Well you are 18 and we all have to start somewhere........some owners of salons think that 16-20 year old's are still imature......(not saying you are).....

I would not let her worry you hun.....keep on doing as you are,working from home/mobile....your business will soon build up.....xxxxxxxxxxxx

You would be better working for yourself that a boss like that.

thankyou for the advice every one i feel alot better about it now and i know what to expect and to do next time ! thanks :hug:

Why not just keep your age to yourself? If asked on the phone just say "I'd prefer not to answer that" and they'll think your older. hehe

Why not just keep your age to yourself? If asked on the phone just say "I'd prefer not to answer that" and they'll think your older. hehe

cunning but i love it :lol::green:

oh my giddy gosh !!!!! hi everyone - well currently im set up at home just doing bits and bobs on family and freinds for a bit of pocket money however - i have read the paper this morning and saw a job ""BEAUTY THERAPIST REQUIRED. QUALIFIED IN ALL ASPECTS OF BEAUTY AND NAILS."" I thought hmmmm ill ring up as its very rare 1/2 times a year that a beauty job comes up where i live. So i called and they asked what i was qualified in so i listed it all and she asked my age then her whole manner changed and she said im too young and havent enough experience! and put the phone down !! i feel so drained of confidence as this happend last year too !!! can any one explain why she was like that ???

works both ways hun. I'm doing nvq hairdressing at college. A couple of weeks ago the tutor said a hair salon had called, looking for a trainee for saturdays, paid, and would gradually add days over time. She was willing to train the person. I took the details and called the next day. She asked "how old are you" I said "37" and her whole attitude changed. She paused, then gave feeble excuses. She took my number as she may be able to give me some unpaid experience, but she hasn't even called back with that! Minimum wage is so much more for me than a 16 year old, eh?!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back