rude salon owner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybybev

Reaction score
oh my giddy gosh !!!!! hi everyone - well currently im set up at home just doing bits and bobs on family and freinds for a bit of pocket money however - i have read the paper this morning and saw a job ""BEAUTY THERAPIST REQUIRED. QUALIFIED IN ALL ASPECTS OF BEAUTY AND NAILS."" I thought hmmmm ill ring up as its very rare 1/2 times a year that a beauty job comes up where i live. So i called and they asked what i was qualified in so i listed it all and she asked my age then her whole manner changed and she said im too young and havent enough experience! and put the phone down !! i feel so drained of confidence as this happend last year too !!! can any one explain why she was like that ???

Well you are 18 and we all have to start somewhere........some owners of salons think that 16-20 year old's are still imature......(not saying you are).....

I would not let her worry you hun.....keep on doing as you are,working from home/mobile....your business will soon build up.....xxxxxxxxxxxx

Well you are 18 and we all have to start somewhere........some owners of salons think that 16-20 year old's are still imature......(not saying you are).....

I would not let her worry you hun.....keep on doing as you are,working from home/mobile....your business will soon build up.....xxxxxxxxxxxx

she's probably had bad experience in the past with a younger person, and some people are just old hags anyway! My advice would be to keep on doing what you are doing, just remember that you need insurance even if its working on friends and family, and that you need to be declaring your earnings and paying your own tax and national insurance (you are probably doing all this anyway, its just my motto is start as you mean to go on lol)

anyway who wants to work for someone with that kind of attitude?!

At an interview once I got told I was too nice and would be better off working in a charity shop! Some people eh?!

Yeah I agree that she's probably had a bad experience with younger staff. I know I have! I wouldn't let my previous experience of bad staff put me off younger staff though, it is the right person for the right job, regardless of age. I think its unfair for her to dismiss you just because of your age. I know that many salon owners are wary of taking on younger therapists as younger staff members may not be as reliable if they go out at weekends, etc (again, I'm not talking about my opinion, just things I have heard of in the past!) but it's unfair to assume this of all young people. I have employed several 16-20 year olds, some were unreliable (one of them only came in for one day then never came back!), one I had serious problems with but I have had a couple who were really good. I have also employed older staff who have been unreliable so I don't think age should be a deciding factor.

I can understand not wanting to take on someone if they lack experience but you have to start somewhere, otherwise you'll never gain the experience!

Isn't there a law against discrimination????

In any case, would you want to work for someone who's so ignorant, they judge a book by it's cover?
Whatever her reasons might be, she was offensive and wrong in that she didn't at least give you a test run, or follow the interview with more questions.
I would NEVER judge someone's skills by their age.
NOT in a million years.

Having said that, to avoid that sort of judgement in future, why not answer her question with another like "when can I meet with you to share my experience with you and show you my porftolio?" (assuming that you might have pictures of your work if it's nails?) Or "to what email address can I send my resume of qualification, experience, and pictures of my work?"
Or any sort of question to redirect her (kind of like we do with kids sometimes LOL)
Or try "why? is your salon a very young and hip place, and you have concerns about someone being too mature?" Slightly misleading but gives you an idea what type of environment it is there and again, redirects her.
Whatever her answer might be, hit her with another question before she asks for your age again.

hth's
:hug:

She isn't allowed to ask your age, as it is discrimination

you can ask age, and you can tell a persons sex on the phone too...... as she is a salon owner , she can reject or accept you over the phone for a further interview (at her own discretion), don't be hard on yourself, indeed you are young (no matter how qualified) some businesses just prefer an older person (not intending to discriminate) and thats their decision.

Before anyone screams discrimination, you should put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself what you would be looking for in an employee. You just need see how many talk about Asian salons in here and tar every Asian with the same brush. Stop being bloody hypocrites and accept that people (us as salon owners) have requirements and maybe your age, sex, color, whatever may not meet their/our/your requirements.

Don't play the discrimination card, you didn't meet her requirements, it's no big deal, it's her salon and she should have the right to employ who she deems fit for the job.

Maybe one day you will be in the same position.

Sounds like you have had a narrow escape to me,
don't let it get you down hun, i am sure it is her loss and not yours,
you concentrate on making your own business great :hug:

Sounds like you have had a narrow escape to me,
don't let it get you down hun, i am sure it is her loss and not yours,
you concentrate on making your own business great :hug:
Well said anyway by the looks of your profile she has missed out !! Maybe all her clients are oap's in which case they probably would prefer someone older you need a chique happening salon where young people and students are regulars !!
Don't let it get you down maybe it means you are meant for better things :lol:

I employed an 18 year old beauty therapist straight out of college last summer - she is very mature and we have spent lots of time with her and she is turning into a really great therapist. She just happened to send in a nice CV and letter just when I was thinking about recruiting.

This summer I will need to add another therapist but I will probably be looking for a more experienced therapist this time though as we havent got the time at the moment to spend with a newly trained therapist getting her up to salon standard, and need someone 'ready to go' and take on the clients who are waiting.

In a nutshell I think its fine to choose someone who is more experienced as it may fit your requirements at the time, but it would have been helpful if she specified 'experienced' in her ad, and there are ways of turning someone down without being rude about it.:irked:

There are salons that would love to have you on board - don't be put off by this grumpy lady! - get those CV's out there!

Before anyone screams discrimination, you should put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself what you would be looking for in an employee. You just need see how many talk about Asian salons in here and tar every Asian with the same brush. Stop being bloody hypocrites and accept that people (us as salon owners) have requirements and maybe your age, sex, color, whatever may not meet their/our/your requirements.

Don't play the discrimination card, you didn't meet her requirements, it's no big deal, it's her salon and she should have the right to employ who she deems fit for the job.

Actually i never said anything in my thread about discrimination so im not playing any card. was you on the phonecall >?? no, i met every requirment and i had more quals than she was expecting & everything she asked for i have untill she asked me my age i said 18 (it all went t*ts up from their really.) so maybe read the thread properly first before you reply ???

thanks to everyone who has gave me some great advice! I beleive that salon owners have the right to employ whom they wish however they can be less bi*chy snobby and consider the other persons feelings. Never judge a book by its cover - ive been training since i was 15 ( ileft schoool at 15) im as mature as you can get for an 18year old. Thanks again every oen :) xx

Last edited:
Hiya hun , she was a rude person for putting the phone down on you ,
but I wouldn't take offence from Nailzoo he isn't being mean ,
Carl is fab and has some great stuff to learn from on here , its just his way hun :hug: x

omg ivhad the same problem when applying for jobs thats why iv decided to go it alone dont let her bother you iv been told im to old
nearly 40 arrrrrrrrrrr :eek: hehehe your business will build up evenually :hug: keep your chin up

Hiya hun , she was a rude person for putting the phone down on you ,
but I wouldn't take offence from Nailzoo he isn't being mean ,
Carl is fab and has some great stuff to learn from on here , its just his way hun :hug: x

I would have to agree......he was not being nasty to you......Carl just says it how it is like some others do on here.............!!!

You may take offence to him but he is a very talented nail tech and his advice sometimes makes you think "ow yeah "!!........it his just his way and you will get use to him xx:hug:

You might think she should have the right to discriminate on the grounds of age, but the law disagrees with you.

By refusing to offer the job purely on the grounds of age, that salon owner broke the law. It's that simple. beautybybev could take her to an employment tribunal and if the tribunal found against the salon owner, she could be fined an unlimited amount as compensation.

Now, probably beautybybev doesn't want to do that, and in this case it's her word against the salon owners. But that's the kind of liability you would open yourself up for if you tell someone that they're too young for a job they're qualified to do.

The ACAS website has a very good guide for employers about age discrimination law.

This summer I will need to add another therapist but I will probably be looking for a more experienced therapist this time though as we havent got the time at the moment to spend with a newly trained therapist getting her up to salon standard, and need someone 'ready to go' and take on the clients who are waiting.

I understand, and THIS makes sense to me. It's a case of 'experience', and not age.

But we must also remember that age is not indicative of experience.
As we know, we have some 40 odd yr old geeks here, who have only JUST qualified.
I perhaps should have mentioned this in my original post.

I think in Beautybybev's case, considering how young she begun in the industry and her wealth of qualifications, they WERE being discriminatory strictly due to her age AND NOT to her 'experience', and never took her actual experience into account.

Myself, having matured at an early age, I often faced age discrimination early on.... and nothing irks me more. And when I proved them wrong... nothing was more rewarding.

Hang in there luv!
You'll do great and find the perfect place to be
:hug:

In England it is against the law to not give someone a job just because of their age, the law came into force last year and it not only protects older people but all people against this sort of thing.
However, I wouldn't want to work for someone who had that type of bad manners. Putting the phone down on anyone is not just rude but very unprofessional.
Zoo nails does have a point, a good one, and if the woman you spoke to had not been so rude maybe she could have explained that (perhaps) her clientèles are older and wouldn't feel comfortable with such a young person.......
I wouldn't loose sleep over this one hun, just keep doing what you are doing, now you are 18 why not look at getting some government funding to start your own salon? and remember the one thing this woman picked on is the one thing we can guarantee is going to stop being a problem
Much sooner then you will want it to:irked:

as has already been said it is now illegal to DISCRIMINATE against someone because of their age. You don't even have to put your date of birth on your CV anymore.

And no, Carls not being horrible, no more than usual anyway :green:, and is obviously talking about his neck of the woods not the UK.

I cant say i would wanna work hard to line this womans pockets anyway!!

As a salon owner, firstly I would have given an interview, checking through their certificates and references given & then a trial on how the applicant works in nails, waxing, beauty etc. The trial shows how confident the applicant is, also technics, skills on how they work, and the end results.

Age is nothing to do with it, as long as full qualifications are met & the applicant is confident with themselves & their work skills, it's that that will shine through.

I hate rude people who bang down the phone, I would of called the salon owner back & asked why she did this as it was very unprofessional of her to do so..........then who would of looked like the childish one?!

If only it was that simple!!

You cant take anybody to a tribunal if you are not employed by them in the first place.

Yes, you can.

The age discrimination law applies to people applying for jobs, as well as people who already have them:

PART 2

DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING
Applicants and employees
7. —(1) It is unlawful for an employer, in relation to employment by him at an establishment in Great Britain, to discriminate against a person—
(a) in the arrangements he makes for the purpose of determining to whom he should offer employment;
(b) in the terms on which he offers that person employment; or
(c) by refusing to offer, or deliberately not offering, him employment.

(The Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006.)

Employment tribunals hear cases regarding people who have suffered discrimination or victimisation on the grounds of age:
Employment tribunal jurisdiction.

Employment tribunals very frequently judge on cases where people were refused employment through various types of discrimination. There aren't many age cases yet, because the law is too recent, but if you Google 'employment tribunal' refused employment discrimination, you'll find plenty of cases which involved other types of discriminiation.

From the other end of the age spectrum, here's the advice from Help The Aged:
If you were refused a job at recruitment stage you should write to the employer to try and resolve the issue and/or seek legal advice to file for an Employment Tribunal (see stage 2).

Whether any individual case is likely to succeed is a different question, but age discrimination is definitely an area where employers can put themselves at risk of being fined if they break the law.

Latest posts

Back