Salon at side of me uses cheaper spray tan brand for less! What should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1nails

Reaction score
I have recently qualified and thinking of doing mobile and home spray tanning. I have tantrick at the moment but am thinking of moving to Liquid Sun by Vani-T.

As you know both these solutions are top quality and not cheap but the hairdressers at the side of my house does LA tan for £10 per full body. A friend of mine has been there and she said it was good.

I want to charge more than £10 obviously but will I get the customers when there are cheaper spray tans available?

I have recently qualified and thinking of doing mobile and home spray tanning. I have tantrick at the moment but am thinking of moving to Liquid Sun by Vani-T.

As you know both these solutions are top quality and not cheap but the hairdressers at the side of my house does LA tan for £10 per full body. A friend of mine has been there and she said it was good.

I want to charge more than £10 obviously but will I get the customers when there are cheaper spray tans available?

What you need to ask yourself is why do you want to change.

Are you having problems with your current supplier - if you are contact them and see if it can be resolved.

Dont just lower your prices because your competitor is doing them at a cheap price. Do they have the same training as you, do they have the back up service that you do with your supplier. How do their tans fair in comparrison to yours.

Dont be fooled by salons offering cheap tans there could be a number of reasons for this.

I have a similar situation where I am and I will not lower my price. I would rather do less tans and have the happy customers. I also know that the other place offering these tans do not give the same pre and post care that I give and also the back up service that I provide.

Why settle for anything less !!!

Know your worth and stick with it !!!!

Last edited:
Y'know some people actually LIKE being orange.

A cheap solution would only give cheap results.

They can't sustain a business charging £10. Also people do question cheap prices - except those who flock to the pound shops. (I do sometimes - but I know what I'm looking for).

xxx

I wouldnt let it worry you what thesalon nxt door is charging. As long as you are resonably priced in line with your local area, and you are doing a good job, with a good result, clients will always return to you. "cheap" is not a good look, lol

As a consumer i tend not to go for the cheapest option in most things.If something is a lot cheaper than everywhere else and £10 is ridiculous i would be questioning why.
Dont lower your prices but work at promoting the reasons why you and your brand are the better choice.

you will get some people who will go to the cheapest regardless of what service they get.

but you will also get people who would rather pay for quality.

stick to your guns. perhaps the staff are on very low wages, if so, will they be happy workers? some people are put off my staff that aren't happy, so keep your prices, have a warm welcome and ensure your service is second-to-none.

Stick with your higher price and put on your posters, flyers etc that you only use high quality products. (clients will automatically think other salon's products are inferior so are more likely to use you :))
Mention also about your great pre & post care.
Perhaps say that they receive a free sachet of something worth £x at their 1st appointment.

At the end of the day, people will pay an enormous amount of money for something if they think they are getting value for money. Cheap isn't always the best way to go. Look at oohh ..Harrods, Rolls Royce, Mercedes etc...They've done alright by charging more than their competitors.

I'd rather pay more where a spray tan is concerned as it would give me confidence that I am not going to look like a freak afterwards! :hug:

You will be aiming at a different clientèle, if you are going mobile then you will be aiming at the spray tan party set, they want comfort, glass of wine, bit of a giggle etc so its the whole 'build the relationship' feel good factor, they will be paying for you as much as your products and there is a lot of trust that goes into that, so no I wouldn't worry about the hair salon or their prices, there are millions of customers out there and after the BBC feature on tanning beds yesterday more and more of those millions should come trotting through our doors, I think its good that salons are offering cheep spray tans, our teen market should be using spray tans rather then sun beds and if they can find something that suits their pockets, all the better, as they start to get better paid jobs and move into the makeup/ spray tan party age group/ pay bracket we get our chance to step in.
Don't see it as a problem, its not its just something different:hug:

You will be aiming at a different clientèle, if you are going mobile then you will be aiming at the spray tan party set, they want comfort, glass of wine, bit of a giggle etc so its the whole 'build the relationship' feel good factor, they will be paying for you as much as your products and there is a lot of trust that goes into that, so no I wouldn't worry about the hair salon or their prices, there are millions of customers out there and after the BBC feature on tanning beds yesterday more and more of those millions should come trotting through our doors, I think its good that salons are offering cheep spray tans, our teen market should be using spray tans rather then sun beds and if they can find something that suits their pockets, all the better, as they start to get better paid jobs and move into the makeup/ spray tan party age group/ pay bracket we get our chance to step in.
Don't see it as a problem, its not its just something different:hug:

Fantastic response and spot on.:hug:

hey A1(sorry don't know your name) ..call your suppliers Monday and im sure they will wan't to assist you...can't speak for your other supplier but I will be more than happy to assist you with a marketing proposal that will help you gain more good customers that will remain with you in the longer term and be happy to pay you more :hug:

Thank you everyone for your replies. They make a lot of sense.

I have decided that I will not be lowering my standards or price and will definately look to my supplier for help with promoting my services.

I've not really got going yet, as I mentioned I have only just qualified but felt a bit let down because of the price of local competition.

Because I've just started for myself i'm not sure which solution to go with at the moment and am just testing a few and haven't really done enough repeat sprays to know which to go with. Tantrick is good and I love the colour and smell of Liquid Sun by Vani-T also, so I am with both at the moment!

hi a salon near me offers spray tans for £10, the other day a client told me that someone went for a spray tan 'A WEEK BEFORE HER WEDDING' and came out crying because they ran out of solution and they only managed to do the front of her :eek:, they told her to go back on the monday and they would have finished it off. 'HOW PROFESSIONAL IS THAT:rolleyes:!!!' so now i am thinking their prices reflect their professionalism. I charge £20 work mobile and i am sticking to it. I use tantriks all my clients told me that it lasts longer than most, and the general tan is great. :)

There is a very popular leading brand of beer that actually markets itself on being expensive. Then there are others who market themselves as probably being the best that are a lot cheaper. The expensive one sells by the bucket load because it is better, tastier and more expensive. Also people are buying into the brand - its the same with clothes. People can actually like paying more to be a part of something.

Without knocking any competitors use this in your marketing. Top price = top quality last ing tan. People will pay it! All too often we don't charge enough for treatments - ladies waxing is a great example of this. I wonder how some people / places make any money.

Mat xxx

There is a very popular leading brand of beer that actually markets itself on being expensive. Then there are others who market themselves as probably being the best that are a lot cheaper. The expensive one sells by the bucket load because it is better, tastier and more expensive. Also people are buying into the brand - its the same with clothes. People can actually like paying more to be a part of something.

Without knocking any competitors use this in your marketing. Top price = top quality last ing tan. People will pay it! All too often we don't charge enough for treatments - ladies waxing is a great example of this. I wonder how some people / places make any money.

Mat xxx

well said Mat....would buy you a beer ..which brand are you refering to so I can nip down to the offy and get you the right one :hug::hug:

Personally I can't stand beer myself. But a Hendricks Gin ... now your talking! :)

Latest posts

Back