Scratch Cover, February Issue.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
It rocks! The nails are by Leighton Denny and the overall shot is really eye catching and stylish. As a cover it is great.

I think I know what I will be voting for the next time Alex Fox asks for our favorite Scratch cover.

If you have received your mag, what do you think of the front cover?

It is an excellent cover. I did actually look to see who the shot was by but couldn't find out at a glance. I haven't read it yet but it is a great cover shot. Well done Leighton! :)

I dont like the silver & gold together ....I think black & silver would have been better

I can appreciate the shot as being brilliant photographically,but I have to say it didn't wow me as a cover. The nails are a beautiful shape (well they would be wouldn't they lol) but for me that metallic silver and gold does nothing. But of course very neat and beautifully done if you like that sort of thing.

But then you can't please all the people all of the time can you? I'm not saying I'm right . . . each to his own.

Ok - shoot me down in flames if you must - but I wasn't impressed much with the cover.
Once I realised it was Mr. Denny's work, I was still not overly impressed.
I realise he is an outstanding tech within the industry. But,
I just thought he's trying to emulate some kind of 'Minx' effect, which would never happen with ordinary enamels/polish/varnish, and did not happen in this case.

Why does this industry 'Icon' never seem to appear on this site, when so many others do? Helping the endless number of passionate techs eager for information here?

I voted for the Scratch Mag (back then) cover with his lush sparkly nails, even though they had a severely broken line of light on zone 1 in places, but at the time, it gave me something to aspire to. No so these days. (I'm not saying I'm as good or better here btw!!!!!!)
I've seen him on QVC quite a lot selling his stuff to the general public.

I think Scratch & Alex should consider a 'Monthly Cover' competition from us readers of the mag, and the winner's nails should be the cover photo - ok not every month of the year, but there could be quite a few!

Before you start shouting - I'm not putting Mr. Denny or his talents down, I just, as a regularly working on the public type tech, cannot find the enthusiasm to embrace him, as I don't seem to see him 'out there' with us working techs, like a great many of the industry icons are.

That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Glad im not the only one Bev :) i just didnt like it ! but life would be dull if we all liked the same xx

Oh, I haven't got my Scratch yet, hope it comes tomorrow, I am dying to see the cover now.

I think Scratch & Alex should consider a 'Monthly Cover' competition from us readers of the mag, and the winner's nails should be the cover photo - ok not every month of the year, but there could be quite a few!

Sorry can't comment on the cover but have to say that as a newbie I like this idea as it would give all us newbies something to aim for. Who wouldn't want there work in the front of Scratch.:lol:

Sorry but still trying to woek out how to use the site properly:rolleyes:

Youre not missing much francesXXX .... Ive seen much better by some of the geeks on here x

It is an excellent cover. I did actually look to see who the shot was by but couldn't find out at a glance. I haven't read it yet but it is a great cover shot. Well done Leighton! :)

Photography by Pixelate Imaging.

Once I realised it was Mr. Denny's work, I was still not overly impressed.
I realise he is an outstanding tech within the industry. But,
I just thought he's trying to emulate some kind of 'Minx' effect, which would never happen with ordinary enamels/polish/varnish, and did not happen in this case.

At first glance, I thought it was Minxed. TBH it is not the sort of thing I would wear myself or recommend to customers, but as a cover, I found it really stunning.

Each to their own though, as Blossom says. We can't all like the same things, lol. I'm not always wowed by the covers, but I really liked this one.

Personally, I've seen far more inspiring Scratch covers than this one.

bev great comments there .... I picked my copy up and did know at a glance who had done the cover .. because I'd seen it before! ... when he did the pink nails cover, same set up and same nail 'style'

and I love the readers cover idea ........ me hands up for that one .. but guess its not that easy !!!

I don't like the cover personally ...

I'ts the look of the enamel I don't like, it looks streaky ( I know you will see brush marks in enamels like this)
The shape of the nails to me is beautiful, and the design I like, just not these colours.
From far away where it is right now looking at me, it actually looks ok,
The overall image is striking,
but close up (which is how we all look at nail images of course) its just not a good look imho.

Oooohh hope mine comes tomorrow!

I hope mine comes today, i'm in it!!! woohoo!!......Fingers crossed that the postman is still delivering in this small snow flurry!! lol :hug:

I didn't like it either.

I hope mine comes today, i'm in it!!! woohoo!!......Fingers crossed that the postman is still delivering in this small snow flurry!! lol :hug:

Yup, I spotted you in there. Good on ya! x

Yup, I spotted you in there. Good on ya! x

Thankyou, Bev said i should take it out and frame it, i think i might just do that and put it on my salon wall. :hug:

Thankyou, Bev said i should take it out and frame it, i think i might just do that and put it on my salon wall. :hug:

Yes I saw it too! Good for you. Definately frame it babes!!

AAAAARRGGGHHHH.... No sign of my copy yet... just 'cause there's a blizzard outside it's no excuse for a delay with my Scratch mag!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back