Semi permanent lashes - losing loads!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraceyJoJo

Reaction score
I'm looking into training in semi permanent lashes so I had mine done recently.

They looked lovely when they were first done, only lost a few when I went back for my 2 week infil, but lost loads in one eye by the time of my 2nd infil and now, just over a week later, I have 16 lashes left in that eye! They are coming out in clumps of 2's and 3's. I do sleep on that side so I expect to lose a few more but I'm nearly bald now lol, execpt for my natural lashes which seem intact.

So my question is, is this normal or is it me?

Many thanks in advance

Hi
Firstly were you given all the correct aftercare advice on how to look after your lashes to get the best out of them. It is really important if you use any products that have oil in them (moisturiser, eye cream, mascara) that you avoid contact with your extentions as the oil from products can weaken the bond and you can loose lashes much quicker. If you do still use mascara you can get an oil free one, and use oil free eye make up remover.

Most of my lash clients have infills every 3 weeks, although I do have a few that can go aslong as 5-6 weeks before they need infilled. I have one client who can only go at the most 2 weeks between infills but she sleeps on her front and she blames this for them falling out quicker.

It is strange though that this only happened after your 1st set of infills!

As far as going for for the training, go for it!!!! Its a fantastic treatment to do for people, you wont regret it. x
:hug:

Thanks for your reply x

I was given all the aftercare advise and followed it to the letter, I made sure I didn't get them wet for 48hrs too and as extra precautions, I haven't tried mascara and don't put any creams on my eyelids just in case lol.

I try really hard to sleep on my back so I don't squash them but wake up on that side every morning so perhaps it's that?

If it's not normal and just me then I will still go for the training as everyone comments on them when they've been done.

Hi, from reading your post it seems like you have not had the single lashes applied as they would only fall off singularly. Single extensions can last up to 3 months with the regular infills and if you had them done you should stil have your full set of lashes and not just 16 left!

Do you remember how the therapist applied them, ie did she separate the lashes to apply them singularly or did she stretch the lid or maybe just apply them with you having your lids closed?

Thanks for your reply

I laid on the couch with eye pads and she separated my lashes with tweezers.

They were def single J curl lashes, I checked with her before I booked to make sure. Alot are falling off individually, some with an eyelash attached and some without, but some are also 'clumped', I think that they've been stuck to each other rather than being a cluster lash if that makes sense?

Sounds like its the individual ones but they shouldnt fall out in clusters or that many at the same time. Sounds like the clusters are caused by lashes sticking together which could be if the adhesive didnt set before getting in contact with others.

If you are losing the extensions without the natural lash then it seems that the lash wasnt bonded to the extension properly which could be either oil or proteins on the lash before the extension was applied, the adhesive not applied properly, no sealant used or it could be if you used anything like make up remover or mascara that contain oils?
Even though i must admit I had mine done and used suntanlotions etc - not been very careful and they still stayed for weeks without falling off, so even with a bit of oil you wouldnt lose them all in such a short time.

Mmm, don't recall a sealer being used so maybe it was that?

Thinking about it, I gave my natural lashes a good clean for my 1st appointment but was too scared to after they were applied, maybe give them a gentle clean with oil free cleanser before I go back for my next top up? Even tho I don't use creams or mascara I suppose there will be natural oil on them?

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like its the individual ones but they shouldnt fall out in clusters or that many at the same time. Sounds like the clusters are caused by lashes sticking together which could be if the adhesive didnt set before getting in contact with others.

If you are losing the extensions without the natural lash then it seems that the lash wasnt bonded to the extension properly which could be either oil or proteins on the lash before the extension was applied, the adhesive not applied properly, no sealant used or it could be if you used anything like make up remover or mascara that contain oils?
Even though i must admit I had mine done and used suntanlotions etc - not been very careful and they still stayed for weeks without falling off, so even with a bit of oil you wouldnt lose them all in such a short time.

I totally agree with you. For one, if they were single, individual lashes, they should NOT be coming out in chunks!! Another thought that might be causing problems is that the stylist used lashes that are too heavy for your natural lashes. They could be too thick &/or too long. How long has the stylist been doing them for?

I totally agree with you. For one, if they were single, individual lashes, they should NOT be coming out in chunks!! Another thought that might be causing problems is that the stylist used lashes that are too heavy for your natural lashes. They could be too thick &/or too long. How long has the stylist been doing them for?

I think she used 12mm ones. They are the same thickness as mine and roughly twice as long. She's been doing them since June. Thanks for your reply.

if you paid around £85+ you had decent semi-permanent lashes. if you paid 30 ish they were most probably clump or a poor set.

whats the brand, what did you pay.

Su x

Mmm, don't recall a sealer being used so maybe it was that?

Thinking about it, I gave my natural lashes a good clean for my 1st appointment but was too scared to after they were applied, maybe give them a gentle clean with oil free cleanser before I go back for my next top up? Even tho I don't use creams or mascara I suppose there will be natural oil on them?

Thanks for your help!

If you say you cleaned your lashes that will only remove the makeup or any mascara, but what the therapist should have done is use a Primer that would remove all residue or remaining oils on the lashes to create a lasting bond. Without this (even if you clean your lashes as thoroughly as you can) the extensions wont last as long as the base isnt right!
Its a matter (as with everything) of good preparation ie priming, then the correct application to create a perfect and lasting bond and the aftercare, ie sealer to maintain the lashes.

If yours are falling off so quickly i would think that there is a hiccup somewhere along the line........

hello, also another point is we never quite know what we are doing in our sleep are we. a tired stressfull night and rub rub rub, or maybe even a quick spray tan and the oils landing on the lash line, also sex ( oh yes dont ask me how but it is possible hahaha), also when washing your hair the conditioners , the hair condition spray, the naturally oily eyelashes, and the obvious one of putting your foundation on, lots of girls shove on their foundation all over the lash line, i have found this the main culprit along with the sleeping one, and moisturiser.
but as u said as well applying too long a lash and too heavy for their own lash, i hope that might be of some use, good luck, and hello all u lashers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try really hard to sleep on my back so I don't squash them but wake up on that side every morning so perhaps it's that?

If it's not normal and just me then I will still go for the training as everyone comments on them when they've been done.[/QUOTE]

It has to be due to you sleeping on that side hun otherwise you would have experienced the same with both eyes,
can you move your pillow over a bit on the bed so that your cheek is on the pillow but your lashes are not touching the pillow if you know what i mean,
or use a smaller cushion for your head when sleeping,
this is how i sleep when wearing lashes and it does not interfere with them then, hth :hug:
enjoy your training too x

Single extensions can last up to 3 months with the regular infills and if you had them done you should stil have your full set of lashes and not just 16 left!

Eyelashes renew themselves every 6 weeks, (they actually fall out and regrow), so for you to say they can last 3 months (that's 12 weeks) is a nothing short of a lie.

This is why there is so much cynicism in the industry, technicians lie and make impossible promises to clients.

If people were more honest, clients would not have such high expectations and would respect/trust our opinions so much more.

Eyelashes renew themselves every 6 weeks, (they actually fall out and regrow), so for you to say they can last 3 months (that's 12 weeks) is a nothing short of a lie.

This is why there is so much cynicism in the industry, technicians lie and make impossible promises to clients.

If people were more honest, clients would not have such high expectations and would respect/trust our opinions so much more.

Unfortunately you are wrong, and if you read again you can see that we are saying "with regular infills" which means that you continuously replace the ones that have fallen out to keep a full appearance. If the lash extensions are done correctly there is no need to remove them within the 3 months unlike other systems where the extensions have to be removed after 2 weeks.

She probably means well, she does say with infills they last that long.

I agree though that it's a funny way to say it, but some nailtechs also claims that nails last 3 months with infills.

It's not a lie, it's more of a rewriting of the truth. I would say: With infills they can last as log as you want them to. (say that about nails as well) As neither my lashes (when i did lashes) or nails needs changing every other 3 moths, they can just show for the maintenance and keep them forever LOL..

She probably means well, she does say with infills they last that long.

I agree though that it's a funny way to say it, but some nailtechs also claims that nails last 3 months with infills.

It's not a lie, it's more of a rewriting of the truth. I would say: With infills they can last as log as you want them to. (say that about nails as well) As neither my lashes (when i did lashes) or nails needs changing every other 3 moths, they can just show for the maintenance and keep them forever LOL..

ANOTHER POINT IS THAT SYSTEMS THAT NEED TO BE REPLACED EVERY 2-3 WEEKS DO NOT MAKE claims TO BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT THEY ARE, WHICH IS A SEMI PERMANENT, RAPID AND VERY POPULAR SOLUTION FOR MANY; RATHER LIKE WEEKEND NAILS ARE AN ALTERNATIVE RAPID AND SEMI PERMANENT SOLUTION TO WEARING NAIL ENHANCEMENTS.

I'M NOT QUITE SURE WHY THERE IS SUCH AN AVERSION AND SO MANY NEGATIVE ALLUSIONS, POSTED BY A FEW 'LASHERS', TO A RAPID SERVICE FOR LASHES FOR CLIENTS THAT WANT THAT??

Maybe they are afraid that they will loose clients? I don't know.

But It makes sense to me to offer both (hadn't thought about those systems where you have to remove Gigi, I just know the ones you can keep on)

I would love to offer lashes again, and would look into training in temporary lashes also, because I can really see a market for it, as you say. A brides pack with weekend nails, temporary lashes and MINX feet... hmm I can smell money LOL...

Don't forget to tell the client to lie on their back when they sleep, don't dive into a pool, be careful when swimming,don't rub your eyes, be super careful when wearing contacts, don't put your face under a shower, don't splash rinse your face, don't cry, along with the makeup removers, moisturisers etc rules.

Make sure you have a toothpick handy to separate them whenever it's needed (at least once every 24 hours).

OH ....... and no butterfly kisses, unless your lashes will end up looking like 2 mating spiders on your eyelids.

Every client I have that has had eyelashes put on has gone back to "occasional" lashes (ones they can removed after a day or 2 ) to avoid the embarrassment of bald patches, grown out glue clumps and the limitations/restrictions of any other lashes.

Occasional lashes can look brilliant, they take a third of the time, a third of the cost (but you can charge more), easily removed and no broken promises.

Gypsy lashes are brilliant, dunno if you guys have them over there.

LOL another eyelash thread that's getting heavily edited and deleted :rolleyes: which again is causing considerable confusion to those asking of assistance and to those that are trying to follow things

I might be as thick as a brick but each and every time I log onto this thread...and the other eyelash threads to boot it/they keep changing and bits keep getting deleted....im :confused: .com

Good to see sooooo many new and suddenly experienced experts crawling out of the woodwork all of a sudden ...welcome to the wonderful world of eye lash extensions...where the heck have you been guy's all these years.
:hug:

Has it now become more interesting to those that previously didn't show any interest simply because its now peaking in demand I wonder:irked:

Latest posts

Back