Shellac client unhappy - should I tell her no more?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loza789

Reaction score
hi guys,

it's been a while since i posted on here but i have been lurking about.

any how, i have a regular lady who is a bit of a pain to be hoest. she lives 8 miles away and always wants a 5.30pm booking so i end travelling for 60 minutes in rush hour traffic to get to her. she has shellac every 3 weeks and for the past 4 months has had no problems. the last two applications have supposedly only lasted her a couple of days. the first time i asked her to send me a picture but she said she'd removed it all.

the second time she said it only lasted 2 days! she sent me a really bad picture so i agreed to do her a free treatment (big mistake i know). anyway, i went last night and she still had it on! there was some wear and tear around the free edge but that's all. i commented that it wasn't bad and i wasn't expecting her to still have any on. (I've also had this with her daughter)

i did her nails again and when i finished she said she wasn't paying this time as i'd said i'd do it for free because of the poor service she'd had. i was taken aback so i just left.

the thing is, i'm thinking of telling her that i can't do her nails anymore. i know all clients are valuable but i'm starting to think that this lady is going to continue to claim bad service for freebies.

any thoughts?

I have encountered clients like this. I always say "I think that maybe since you feel I do not provide a good service and have been unable to meet your needs we can part company. May I recommend a different stylist for you?' I usually find that they back track really quickly and suddenly you are the best in the world lol

To be honest shes sounds like a cheeky ?*?*?* to me.
I'm sorry, but you gave her a free treatment (not always the best option, but that's your discretion), but to then refuse to pay on the grounds of bad service is a cheek!
If you are happy to decline her appointments in the future then I think I would do just that.

She has had 2 freebies now and it has set her in the frame of mind that if a problem ever occurs again-she will expect a freebie-or downright refuse to pay.

Yes clients are valuable, but some are replaceable.
x

I think your thoughts are right honey, she sounds like she's just trying to get freebies from you. As you have now given in she's probably going to continue claiming the 'bad service'.
Rhiannon x

I have encountered clients like this. I always say "I think that maybe since you feel I do not provide a good service and have been unable to meet your needs we can part company. May I recommend a different stylist for you?' I usually find that they back track really quickly and suddenly you are the best in the world lol

I agree with this! It's good way to see how she will react. It sounds very professional and appropriate.

The same syndrome can happen with any enhancement client too!! I've seen it thousands of times.

Client has full set .. for weeks and weeks she has no problems .. THEN they start taking them for granted and start to pick and play etc and start to create problems and try to blame the product or the service so they can "have their cake and eat it too" ! Don't fall for it.

Your clients are having Shellac .. now they have discovered they can remove it by biting it off or picking it off when they see the re-growth happening. DO NOT fall for it. Unless you see it after a few days ... they are fiddling.

You did her nails for free once so she thinks she can always get away with no paying. No way I would do her nails again. She is incredibly cheeky and no one needs clients who refuse to pay.
Also, I think 60min drive is quite a long way to go to do one treatment.

Putting the issue of her being cheeky aside. Is it really worth travelling for an hour to get to her. Work out how long you're spending door to door and then how much profit you make from the treatment (after costs, car wear and tear, petrol etc). Is it really worth it??

If your that bad why is she rebooking and not just asking for a refund? In future for this client say there is a travel charge and for new clients never guarantee a product 100%. I always say it CAN last up to ... so many weeks, but it depends on clients skin/nails and the after care and lifestyle, this covers you as long a you are genuinely following out the correct procedures. Get a bit tougher or people will walk over you when it's probably not your fault, some clients need to be realistic about treatments.

i know all clients are valuable

I disagree. I believe whole heartedly in keeping valued clients, but not all clients are valued.

If your client continues on this path, I'd say she is not a valued client. She's certainly not worth your time and energy. Fill her time slot with someone who will value you work...a true valued client.

Someone tells me they aren't going to pay me .. I say thank you, leave, and wait for her to call for another appointment.

At this point I happily advise her that I can no longer do business with her as she is morally bereft and a little bit of a thief.

If you don't want to do that ignore all her calls.

Jacqui xx

Someone tells me they aren't going to pay me .. I say thank you, leave, and wait for her to call for another appointment.

At this point I happily advise her that I can no longer do business with her as she is morally bereft and a little bit of a thief.

If you don't want to do that ignore all her calls.

Jacqui xx

I love this too

There are lots of issues here I think. A 60 min journey for a 45min charge is not worth it (that is the problem of mobile technicians who often charge less but the travel time could be a client or 2 in a salon.) A free service based on a bad pic is not good! Plus, as time goes on with 'power polish' or 'gel polishes' it is clear that good home care and gentle removal is essential or there will be problems.

Have a rethink

Get rid of her she will cause you nothing but anxiety and can never pay you enough for that. You will replace her with someone who lives nearer and who will be happy with the service you provide. :wink2:

I would definatley give up with her now and also she must of damaged her nail bed by either peeling or removing with acetone and as everyone says it not indestructable, its a longer lasting power polish if maintenance and removal guidlines are followed. Sounds like you have done more than enough!

You have to ask are you making any money!!!! 60 mins there at least half that time back time it takes to do treatment cost of petrol and product I think I would say goodbye xx

She (and her daughter) are what I call costly clients.

They COST YOU in time - travel 1 hour each way
They COST YOU in service time - up to 1 hour
They COST YOU in post consult stress time - couple of hours at the very least!

In those 5 hours you could have had at least 3 full paying clients that appreciate you.

Get rid and move on and find some cost effective clients.

Sounds harsh but I've learnt the hard way.

I hate it when clients take advantage of nail techs who are conscientious and punctual - we have all had it and heard all the same excuses - it's never their fault.

what everyone is saying is right - deny her any further appointments

- I also think this is a valuable lesson - you will be able to smell bull**** immediately from now on.:lol:

x

Latest posts

Back