Slipped Up Big Time!....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They did complete an accident report, and my daughter signed it as I am left handed and it was my left arm that, at that time, was numb with pins and needles so I couldn't sign it.

Martine x

Did they mention that there were no mats on the floor where you slipped and that was why you fell?

Whoever said (sorry can't be bothered to go back and quote) - use a no win no fee place as normal sols charge you - not always true.
Some solicitors do the same as the no win no fee whatsit - There is a fee - it's just billed as costs in the claim - over and above the amount of compesation agreed by both parties.
(am legal cashier - used to pay out loads of them.
Someone i saw got £2000 for cutting their foot in a nightclub!!! :eek: - i'm always too bleeding drunk to put it in the accident book when i cut my feet on a broken bottle.

I don't beleive in claiming for every little thing (like the above) but sounds like a nasty fall and even if you don't win anything of value - you might get a ruling for some decent flooring!!!!

hi martine

Sorry to hear about your accident:hug:

Definately check your house insurance policy, most companies just add the family legal care cover on the policy without you even realising.

Came in handy when they had to pay out £13,500.00 worth of our legal fee's when we had to sue our cowboy builder:green: otherwise the slimey little toerag would have got away with it.

good luck with whatever u decide.

I dont agree with the comment made ealier about not claiming

... I don't believe in putting in claims in .. I was brought up this way - we were always taught to work for our money :lol:

PATHETIC !:mad:

If its a genuine case and not a spoof then why the hell shouldnt you claim.

Amb x

... I don't believe in putting in claims in .. I was brought up this way - we were always taught to work for our money :lol:

not a great reply....lets hope you never need to eat those words !!!

hi martine

Sorry to hear about your accident:hug:

Definately check your house insurance policy, most companies just add the family legal care cover on the policy without you even realising.

Came in handy when they had to pay out £13,500.00 worth of our legal fee's when we had to sue our cowboy builder:green: otherwise the slimey little toerag would have got away with it.

good luck with whatever u decide.

I dont agree with the comment made ealier about not claiming

PATHETIC !:mad:

If its a genuine case and not a spoof then why the hell shouldnt you claim.

Amb x

People are too quick to try and claim money - this is why we all have high insurance premiums... why public liability costs us so much and why it is so hard to open a business these days.

A genuine case to me would be breaking my back and being left unable to work for the rest of my life... or losing a limb due to machinery that was inadequate or faulty due to penny pinching... or having my womb removed instead of my tonsils....

Martine, with all due respect. I hope you get better but if I were you, I would let this go as an accident - something not recognised these days - you say you have a back condition that may or may not be aggravated by the fall. I hope it doesn't cause you anymore pain, but is lining a solicitors pocket in the hope of getting 2k over 18 months really worth it?

I am not afraid to voice my opinions over this. Feel free to sue me for my free speech :lol:

OUCH- that sounds bloody nasty, hope your ok flower and not in too much pain, i suffer with back problems and know how much it can hurt - :hugs:

I agree with some of what you are saying but, don't you think that as the flooring isn't safe, they need to be held accountable...they got lucky this time...Martine wasn't seriously hurt...what about the next person/child that falls...??? why should they be given a 2nd chance...maybe by suing them they will change the flooring and make it safe...also wouldn't they have public insurance...thats what its for.

Hope you feel better soon Martine and that you're being looked after.xx

Sending you hugs cause thats sounded bloody painful!! Talk to the leisure Centre first & see what they have to say. As having non-slip mats should be standard!! Good luck with what ever you decide & I hope you recover/feel better soon!! Make sure you get lots of pampering!!:hug::hug::hug::hug::)

So if you fell over somewhere, was laid up in bed in pain, and couldn't work, you would suffer with no income and not put in a claim, which would be your right?

I know what you mean about people claiming on ridiculous things, I don't think that's right either, but a slip on a floor which hasn't been designed properly for a wet area, that definiately should have a claim against it as this is the ONLY way that the business responsible will be made to fix it!

It isn't always about what injury DID happen, it's sometimes about what the injury COULD have been, and businesses need to ensure that their premises are safe.

Thanks to those of you who have wished me well and sent me lots of hugs!! They are very verywelcome.................funny how you feel a bit sorry for yourself when you're hurtin' innit!! Lol. Thank you Babsann for the bouquet.

The other safety issue which I omitted to mention earlier was actually brought up by the Ambulance men themselves when they had no direct access to bring the ambulance down to , for instance, the poolside. As the pool and gym are downstairs, they had to bring me up two flights of stairs on a stretcher. The issue was mentioned because as they so rightly said what would happen if somebody actually had a serious accident or collapsed at the poolside (one indoor and one outdoor), there is no vehicular access available. Good point I think!

Strikes me that someone on this site has a few chips that need hacking of her shoulder!!!!

Once again, thanks for your tea and sympathy!! :green: :green: As the song goes........."I will survive"!!

Martine x

I am sorry to hear of your fall, I hope you heal up speedily, I will remember you in my prayers.

Best Wishes

hope you get better soon hun:hug: , you would think that a leisure center would think of all the health and safety aspects wouldnt you ?
even at swimming pools with non slip floors i am always mega careful :lol: (could be coz i am a bit accidental , i would trip over fresh air, lol)

I hope you are feeling better...and I would advise you to seek some professional advice regarding this...someone mentioned Citizens Advice and I think they should be your first port of call.

I do see where Cadence Alex is coming from..although it could have been worded a bit more diplomatically....!!

If you watch any kind of Daytime TV it is full of ..Had an Accident in the last 3 Years??..Sue the B*****ds....
This makes it seem as though ..if you stub your toe on a cracked pavement or you use the wrong ladder and fall off ..then you can get a couple of grand for your pain and suffering. They really annoy me!!..and I also think..Take some responsibility for yourself!!

BUT I have been through the whole serious injury and then having to sue my employer for compensation....AND IT WAS A VERY STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE!.
I was in a great job that I loved ...and through an injury at work I was rendered unfit to carry on in that post. I was devastated!!
All of this took a lot of time...4 years in total....a lot of medical treatment and an operation....and ended up at the Court of Session.....by this time I was practically a basket case...

This was not a case of just suing for the sake of it...I was going to lose a lot of money as I was in a great pension scheme...I was already losing a lot of earnings through being off work...no overtime etc....THAT is what you are claiming for...the money you are losing through being ill and the money you will lose by no longer being eligible for a pension.....

My Union got me legal representation and that was paid for out of my eventual settlement..also ALL INCAPACITY Benefits I received whilst off sick were repaid from my settlement money...Therefore I know I have still worked for and earned every penny I have ever recieved...and I do actually resent the comments made...but as I said I can see how these adverts can give you that opinion.....

The problem I have with these No Win No Fee Companies is that they do tend to take the first offer made.....and if you have been really incapacitated...or you want to make sure that the offending company makes proper CHANGES to make sure the same thing cannot happen to someone else (Another MAIN reason to sue)...they don't really want to go to all that expense for you..

This does sound like a good case...I mean a swimming pool that doesn't have a non slip floor!!...
Also you don't have any idea how this may exacerbate your current back condition...although that could affect any claim, if you already have a bad back...get some proper legal advice.
This doesn't mean you should sue...but you should at least find out where you stand if your condition worsens...

I hope your injuries don't prove to be serious ...and all this advice is superfluous...but better safe than sorry.

Good Luck & Good Health.

I am so sorry to hear about your fall babe, and I do hope you are feeling better. I had been having minor backaches since I had a spinal tap done in 1994, then I had a car accident in 2000 and it got so much worse, fast-forward to 2006, I can barely walk a block without being doped up on painkillers!! I know truly how painful back pain can be and I know that sometimes, when something like an accident happens it can worsen (although, I hope that is not true in you case).

I believe that the company should be held liable for not having the right standard in place. Common sense should dictate that if you have a wet area, such as around a pool, shower, etc that you have a non-slip floor or mats in place or at the very least a sign that says "Warning!!! Slippery when wet!!" I have heard of folks who have had brain damage due to slipping and falling on wet floors (thank God that you are not one of them!!) so this sadly was an accident waiting to happen.

If a company is not going to take precautions to keep their patrons safe, then YES!! They should be held liable, this is someones body, health and life that are at stake, it's not frivolous and it should not be looked at that way.

As for the "we were taught to work for our money" comment, I think it was inconsiderate and rude, you might as well have called her lazy and said that she wants to take the easy way out. I think we were all taught "to work for our money" but what happens when you get in a situation where that is no longer possible????

Well yesterday started off so good,,,,,,,,,,,,,then after going in the pool at a brand spanking new leisure club, I was walking back through the changing rooms when my feet literally went from under me and down I went! :o The staff were brilliant though, and as I had banged my head they rang for an ambulance.
To cut a long story short, and after spending 6 hours in A&E having x-rays and a scan, they let me come home. I have hurt the bottom of my spine, my left shoulder and elbow, and have whiplash from hitting my head on the floor as well. I was lucky not to break anything....particularly my elbow which took quite a bang as I landed.

Anyway today I received a HUGE bouquet from the Club staff, wishing me well.

The thing is, the flooring is NOT the right kind for a wet environment. It should be non-slip. There were no signs around to say that the flooring was slippery. I have been advised that I have a good case for a claim, but I don't know which company to approach on a "no win, no fee" basis. Can anybody suggest one?

From a very bruised and battered Geek! :cry:

Martine x

I don't see what the problem here is - Martine says her 'feet went from under her bum' - there was no mention of slipping on water at all... until there is scope for a claim.

Martine how do you know that the flooring is not suitable for a wet changing area? Is this your opinion or fact?

You have made up your mind to claim, as you are seeking 'no win no fee' basis solicitors... if they take your case on, I hope you get somewhere.

Personally I wouldn't bother, and I don't mind being slated for my opinions. In the one paragraph you are saying there is nothing broken, just bruised... then you are talking about claims.

We live in a compensation culture now... I find it sad.

I was walking through ASDA and slipped on a plastic bag in the fruit aisle... someone had left loads in the middle of the floor. I picked it up and went to complain to the nearest member of (disinterested) staff. Everyone else says CLAIM CLAIM CLAIM.... but what's the point? What goes around comes around and I would hate for someone to be throwing a claim in against any of our insurances. Being pregnant with twins, and obviously with ASDA being negligent... I wonder how much that could have got us?! :lol:

Well yesterday started off so good,,,,,,,,,,,,,then after going in the pool at a brand spanking new leisure club, I was walking back through the changing rooms when my feet literally went from under me and down I went! :o The staff were brilliant though, and as I had banged my head they rang for an ambulance.
To cut a long story short, and after spending 6 hours in A&E having x-rays and a scan, they let me come home. I have hurt the bottom of my spine, my left shoulder and elbow, and have whiplash from hitting my head on the floor as well. I was lucky not to break anything....particularly my elbow which took quite a bang as I landed.

Anyway today I received a HUGE bouquet from the Club staff, wishing me well.

The thing is, the flooring is NOT the right kind for a wet environment. It should be non-slip. There were no signs around to say that the flooring was slippery. I have been advised that I have a good case for a claim, but I don't know which company to approach on a "no win, no fee" basis. Can anybody suggest one?

From a very bruised and battered Geek! :cry:

Martine x

It is inferred in the above text that the fall came from the flooring not being non-slip

I don't see what the problem here is - Martine says her 'feet went from under her bum' - there was no mention of slipping on water at all... until there is scope for a claim.

Martine how do you know that the flooring is not suitable for a wet changing area? Is this your opinion or fact?

You have made up your mind to claim, as you are seeking 'no win no fee' basis solicitors... if they take your case on, I hope you get somewhere.

Personally I wouldn't bother, and I don't mind being slated for my opinions. In the one paragraph you are saying there is nothing broken, just bruised... then you are talking about claims.

I was walking through ASDA and slipped on a plastic bag in the fruit aisle... someone had left loads in the middle of the floor. I picked it up and went to complain to the nearest member of (disinterested) staff. Everyone else says CLAIM CLAIM CLAIM.... but what's the point? What goes around comes around and I would hate for someone to be throwing a claim in against any of our insurances. Being pregnant with twins, and obviously with ASDA being negligent... I wonder how much that could have got us?! :lol:
If companies don't take proper precautions, then they open themselves to claims, not because of anything else but the safety of the public!! :irked: :hug:

I find having to respond to your insulting and barbed comments rather tiresome!!! I would have thought it was OBVIOUS that after coming out of a swimming pool a person's feet are gong to be WET!! The flloor was wet in places anyway from OTHER PEOPLE's wet feet having walked through.:grr:
The floor was NOT the right kind, NOT MY OPINION, but FACT!! There should have been mats down, but there weren't..........even the staff admitted this!!

OK so I haven't broken anything......but you don't know me, you don't know the back condition I have, or the effect this fall could have on it........THAT is what I am most concerned about.....NOT that it's ANY of your business!!!:irked:

Martine

I find having to respond to your insulting and barbed comments rather tiresome!!! I would have thought it was OBVIOUS that after coming out of a swimming pool a person's feet are gong to be WET!! The flloor was wet in places anyway from OTHER PEOPLE's wet feet having walked through.:grr:
The floor was NOT the right kind, NOT MY OPINION, but FACT!! There should have been mats down, but there weren't..........even the staff admitted this!!

OK so I haven't broken anything......but you don't know me, you don't know the back condition I have, or the effect this fall could have on it........THAT is what I am most concerned about.....NOT that it's ANY of your business!!!:irked:

Martine

And how do you think water on the floor can be prevented at a swimming pool?! :lol:

The staff may have admitted this but they don't own the company and have no say in how it is built, so their comments are irrelevant.

As a previous poster said, it would be hard to prove that any problems arising are from this fall or your previous back problems.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back