Snake Skin Manicure & Pedicure Hits The UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
It's here. Whether you've heard of this or not, there's no doubt that the Bio Sculpture Snake Skin Manicure and Pedicure is going to get people talking. And when I say snake skin, I mean real-life, shedded, collected, sanitised snake skin.

The Hand & Foot Spa in Chelsea are the first (and at the moment, the only) spa to offer the treatment in the UK. Snakes shed their skin on a regular basis and it is from this skin that the nail design has been created. Using Bio Sculpture Gel, the technicians at the Hand & Foot Spa embed the sanitised (thank goodness!) skin into the gel before adding colour to the design. The skin is then protected by sealing it with a flexible finishing gel layer.

There are 170 colour combinations available and if you want one the manicure will set you back £62 for one finger (£150 for full set) or £82 for one two (£160 for full set).

I predict that it won't be long before we see this hitting all the red carpets, but the question is, how long will the novelty last?

Answers on a (virtual) postcard please.

Until then...geek on.

The Ed.

Attachments

• snakeskin (2).jpg
    snakeskin (2).jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 683
I'll stick to Minx thanks! Cheaper, Quicker, Vegan friendly, prettier and I personally have no interest in ever offering this to clients. We have talked about it in the salon and most women are quite 'yucked out' at the idea. JMHO

Loving all these newsy articles, Ed. :Love:

My skin crawls at the idea. It's a "No" from me, thanks.

It's here. Whether you've heard of this or not, there's no doubt that the Bio Sculpture Snake Skin Manicure and Pedicure is going to get people talking. And when I say snake skin, I mean real-life, shedded, collected, sanitised snake skin.

The Hand & Foot Spa in Chelsea are the first (and at the moment, the only) spa to offer the treatment in the UK. Snakes shed their skin on a regular basis and it is from this skin that the nail design has been created. Using Bio Sculpture Gel, the technicians at the Hand & Foot Spa embed the sanitised (thank goodness!) skin into the gel before adding colour to the design. The skin is then protected by sealing it with a flexible finishing gel layer.

There are 170 colour combinations available and if you want one the manicure will set you back £62 for one finger (£150 for full set) or £82 for one two (£160 for full set).

I predict that it won't be long before we see this hitting all the red carpets, but the question is, how long will the novelty last?

Answers on a (virtual) postcard please.

Until then...geek on.

The Ed.

My god that does creep me out little to be honest. Is the production harmful to animals? This would be my first concern and question. And Im sure my clients would ask this also

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

My god that does creep me out little to be honest. Is the production harmful to animals? This would be my first concern and question. And Im sure my clients would ask this also

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

They SAY they use the shed skins (which is a natural process and wish I could do the same sometimes !! lol) but who knows? I do not trust that one I'm afraid ... I watch too many episodes of Border Control and they are always finding snake skins and live snakes being smuggled into the country, for what purpose we can only conjecture.

yeah, faddy and freaky, who knows exactly how the skin will be sorced :Scared: :rolleyes:....fish pedicure anyone...

We had a shedded snake skin in the garden last week and I said to the DH right go and get that for me and I can do those snakeskin pedicures in the spa for real instead of using Minx.

He looked at me as if I was as daft as a brush and then even dafter when I explained it to him about it and how much it cost!! I think he was kind of relieved when I told him I was only joking about doing them at our spa.

Here in the US, they harvest shed snake skin for this mani/pedi application as well as for other things. Our salon and spa decided not to buy into this trend even though it fetches $300 per application.

It just creeped us the hell out.

Last edited:
Thankfully they also do a 'mimic mesh' version, exact same effect only without the ick factor, I'm ordering mine soon and can't wait to try it!

They SAY they use the shed skins (which is a natural process and wish I could do the same sometimes !! lol) but who knows? I do not trust that one I'm afraid ... I watch too many episodes of Border Control and they are always finding snake skins and live snakes being smuggled into the country, for what purpose we can only conjecture.

You couldnt do it with a skin off a dead snake, it would be thick like leather.
A shed skin is very thin and flexible a bit like polythene.
As a snake grows it sheds its skin, depending on its age it can be every couple of weeks or so to only around twice a year. Only unhealthy snakes dont shed.

I owned a python for many years and they are very clean animals. They dont pass urine because their digestive system is so efficient they process everything almost completely , they only pass solids once or twice a month and its like dried up chewing gum. So what im trying to get at is they dont roll in their own waste. I used to bath mine regularly as it assists in the shedding process. Their vivariums are cleaned with didinfectants too.

So it really is no more unsanitary than wearing leather shoes. Or a woolen sweater.

And the article says this place is first to offer this, thats nonsense as ive done a few over the last few months.

Umm I actually know a few folks that have done it.

I recently got snake skin from a pal of mine who has 5 snakes in total (guess I have myself a supplier LOL).

Maybe a tad on the ick scale, but as has been said, they really are clean critters.
Cleaner than dogs and cats LOL

Umm I actually know a few folks that have done it.

I recently got snake skin from a pal of mine who has 5 snakes in total (guess I have myself a supplier LOL).

Maybe a tad on the ick scale, but as has been said, they really are clean critters.
Cleaner than dogs and cats LOL

Even so, Victoria, I believe the skins have to be chemically treated or irradiated before you would be covered to use on a member of the public. Don't ask me with what, because I do not know. :hug:

Its no different to embedding feathers in nail art imo.

I suppose I should have some in, on the off chance that someone might be willing to pay me 350£ to do it for them ... I wouldn't turn it down. :biggrin:

Even so, Victoria, I believe the skins have to be chemically treated or irradiated before you would be covered to use on a member of the public. Don't ask me with what, because I do not know. :hug:

Irradiate? Like radiation and microwaves? Sorry, I don't do science very well LOL
I know certain lizards carry some yukky-germ or something or other, salmonella or whatnot. But I'm pretty sure snakes are safe. Mainly because my pal from whom I got the skin does kids pet-shows and there are certain critters of his that he doesn't bring because they do pose risks and aren't covered by the insurance, but apparently his snakes are welcome everywhere.
But I suppose, we would have to ensure some way, some how that they are clean. Afterall, we do have to disinfect our files....

YUP, snake skin is 'gross' with a capital G (although, they are quite silky to touch and not slimey at all LOL). But sure makes a cool effect.

Its no different to embedding feathers in nail art imo.

THAT IS an interesting thought.. Where DO the feathers come from and how are they cleaned?
And what about crushed shells?? How do we know that they are clean?

My mom always told me not to pick up feathers off the ground as a kid as the birds might have parasites.
So that does raise an interesting concern....

I suppose I should have some in, on the off chance that someone might be willing to pay me 350£ to do it for them ... I wouldn't turn it down. :biggrin:

I could probably get you the skin cheap if you wanted some... my pal has 5 all together :wink2:

Interesting. I see the comparisons between leather shoes, feathers and seashells, I'm assuming the commercially available products would have been treated before sale.

However, I am wondering why such a high price? (not that I would complain if someone 'were' willing to pay it ;D) as I looked on good old fleabay, which I assume some 'Technicians' will buy from, and there are sanitised, shed snake skins for sale from 99p upwards. If I can find it, I'm certain some clients might take a look too and wonder why I'm charging such an extortionate amount! (They balk at 30 quid for acrylics!)

I for one am not abhorred by the idea, love the look, but no-one (in my area at least) would pay this recommended amount for a snake skin mani/pedi.

Someone please enlighten me as to why the high price? Is it 'exclusivity'?

Xx

Sooo expensive, but I've just had a quick search on ebay and theres quite a few large snake skin pieces going for a couple of quid!

I don't think It's gross, I just wouldn't pay that much and I don't think anyone at my salon would either lol
Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I do love the look but there has to be a different way of achieving that look, snakeskin style nail wraps, freehand art etc etc without using pieces of animal... I'm sure the snake doesn't mind but I would rather not use his dead skin...

That would be like me exfoliating and gathering up all my skin flakes, putting them in a sterilising cabi and then selling them off for use as confetti, or fake snow for kiddie's artwork or any other sprinkly thing.

It'sssss not my cup of tea hehehe

I do love the look but there has to be a different way of achieving that look, snakeskin style nail wraps, freehand art etc etc without using pieces of animal... I'm sure the snake doesn't mind but I would rather not use his dead skin...

That would be like me exfoliating and gathering up all my skin flakes, putting them in a sterilising cabi and then selling them off for use as confetti, or fake snow for kiddie's artwork or any other sprinkly thing.

It'sssss not my cup of tea hehehe
There is a fantastic alternative ... It's called Minx! :green: Beautiful, affordable, long lasting, doesn't chip, and is animal friendly.

I think I wilk stick to the polish "snakeskin" art. Did anyonelse cringe thinking about the nss salon. I can see it now, each nss with an aquarium full of snakes:lol: Quite happy this is NOT in the usa yet.

Latest posts

Back