Soak off Gels Vs File off??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimbabweep

Reaction score
Hi im wondering what you think is best file off gels or soak off?
I rarely do gels i preffer acrylic but the gel that i use is buff off. Very dusty and more work so im looking at the soak off gels but they are much more expensive? Why is that?

What brands do you use? Ive been using Nsi. Whats your thought on this?
im saving up to do a Brisa Gel conversion course to use The Cnd Brisa gels but in the mean time?? xx

The two different types of gels are for different types of nails and are different services. It is not a case of replacing one with the other. You will not be able to do that. You will need both in your business.

The cost of service for soak offs is about the same as with enhancement products. They may appear to be more expensive but cost of service is not.

If you do convert to CND then you will be able to have the best of both systems with Brisa and Shellac.

I heard yesterday that the new Jessica gel was great, minimal nail prep and the solution just gets brushed on and the gel peels off according to the 2 therapists I spoke to. I've not heard of it but it sounded great.

soak off gels...
applied very thin - like nail polish and should be viewed as an alternative to nail polish (hence all this talk about hybrid I think?)

buff off gels...
much harder wearing, can also be brushed on, but most people 'build' with it to create strength.
Coloured gels are often polished on like polish, but are also stronger that soak off gels.

buff off coloured gels obviously have to be buffed off, but you put a clear base gel layer on first, so you never file down to the actual natural nail.

soak off gels - you can choose not to buff the natural nail (which you would not do during a manicure) or you can buff the natural nail to smooth ridges.. etc

Gina x

I heard yesterday that the new Jessica gel was great, minimal nail prep and the solution just gets brushed on and the gel peels off according to the 2 therapists I spoke to. I've not heard of it but it sounded great.

The gel peels off?? That sounds great to you? :eek:

Last edited:
I like buff off gels for 'making' nails, building an apex etc.

I like soak off as an alternative to enamel, shellac and gelish.

so for me it would have to be BOTH.

The gel peels off?? That sounds great to you? :eek:

Apparently the gel peels off only after you apply the solution, see my original comment. The solution brushes on and somehow allows the gel to peel off without damaging the nails. So yes a good idea, no filing the gel, minimal prep of the nail in the first place, sounds ideal to me and because it is Jessica who promote natural nails you know it's going to be a good product.

I found it hard to believe but I got Jessica in for my girls and everyone loved their products. The therapists who offered their gel product said they had no peeling or chipping and then when the removal solution was applied it just peeled off no problem and no adverse effects on the nails. Give them a call and see what they say, I couldn't find it on their website though.

I'm pretty sure Geek knows what she is talking about here - and the particular product in question.:hug:

Apparently the gel peels off only after you apply the solution, see my original comment. The solution brushes on and somehow allows the gel to peel off without damaging the nails. So yes a good idea, no filing the gel, minimal prep of the nail in the first place, sounds ideal to me and because it is Jessica who promote natural nails you know it's going to be a good product.

I found it hard to believe but I got Jessica in for my girls and everyone loved their products. The therapists who offered their gel product said they had no peeling or chipping and then when the removal solution was applied it just peeled off no problem and no adverse effects on the nails. Give them a call and see what they say, I couldn't find it on their website though.

Now that is a new one.....
I haven't heard of a brush on solution for removing the gel.

So you don't need to wrap the nails in cotton wool soaked in gel remover then place the foil round?????????????????????

Daisyl, I'm sure geeg does know what she is talking about when it comes to nails but there was no reference to this product, just that a gel that peels off doesn't sound good. Normal gel nails, no I wouldn't peel them off, I've picked off hollywood toes before knowing I shouldn't but just couldn't help it. This however, sounds like a great system as it is not like a normal gel, more like a hard wearing nail polish maybe?

Yes, I'm more at home with a needle and aesthetics but I employed therapists and we did lots of treatments. The girls told me about this product, they may have been fibbing but they both raved about it.

If it is out there and it is an alternative that the original post was asking about then maybe it is an answer to her query.

Poo8bear, I really don't know much more about this product, I couldn't find it on jessica website, maybe you could contact them to see if it is true and whether it would work?

i think the peeling off comment just refers to the process that occurs when the removal solution is applied to the gel, not that they peel off during wear or that they must be physically peeled off to remove them ?

i think the peeling off comment just refers to the process that occurs when the removal solution is applied to the gel, not that they peel off during wear or that they must be physically peeled off to remove them ?

Haven't got a clue! I'm sure Jessica wouldn't design a range that damaged nails as they actively promote natural nails don't they?

As someone who uses the Jessica GELeration I believe she is referring to the fact that when the removal solution is soaked into cotton wool & wrapped around the nail, after a few minutes the polish peels off, as opposed to needing filing off. It certainly doesn't just peel off by itself, it needs removing professionally in-salon like any other similar product.

As someone who uses the Jessica GELeration I believe she is referring to the fact that when the removal solution is soaked into cotton wool & wrapped around the nail, after a few minutes the polish peels off, as opposed to needing filing off. It certainly doesn't just peel off by itself, it needs removing professionally in-salon like any other similar product.

Yes, one of the salons I go into has this and I'm having it done tomorrow. She said you have to go back in to take it off as the solution that removes it conditions the nail too. There was a client there who had removed the gel herself with acetone (which you shouldn't do apparently) and hers had lasted for 3 months!

Latest posts

Back