Soap affecting tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
I can't find my sheet that tells me what things can affect a spray tan!
I know Dove soap is not good but what are the ingredients and things in soap that may have an adverse effect on a tan?

I can't find my sheet that tells me what things can affect a spray tan!
I know Dove soap is not good but what are the ingredients and things in soap that may have an adverse effect on a tan?

To be quiet honest Angelina it is the use of soaps/shampoos generally that cause major problems when it comes to tan outcome problems.:irked:

The problem is that most soaps/shampoos have a high PH level which spray tan solution doesn't like.:eek:

Mary has a shower before she comes into you because she wants to be clean ....unfortunately Mary uses a very high PH level shampoo and body wash and doesn't rinse off properly:eek:

So the old saying "cleanliness is near to...... somehow doesn't work for this treatment.:green:

In fact it is far better to spray tan a skin that hasn't been washed for a day or so,has mildly sweated(helps balance PH levels),no perfume or jewelery attached.

So its basically not only Dove but ALL shampoos and soaps that have high PH content.

HTH :hug:

Thanks Collin but there was one ingredient that i can't think of!
Damn me for being so ditzy sometimes!

To be quiet honest Angelina it is the use of soaps/shampoos generally that cause major problems when it comes to tan outcome problems.:irked:

The problem is that most soaps/shampoos have a high PH level which spray tan solution doesn't like.:eek:

Mary has a shower before she comes into you because she wants to be clean ....unfortunately Mary uses a very high PH level shampoo and body wash and doesn't rinse off properly:eek:

So the old saying "cleanliness is near to...... somehow doesn't work for this treatment.:green:

In fact it is far better to spray tan a skin that hasn't been washed for a day or so,has mildly sweated(helps balance PH levels),no perfume or jewelery attached.

So its basically not only Dove but ALL shampoos and soaps that have high PH content.

Hi Collin :)
Would you say it would be better for clients not to shower before and just wash off deodrant and make-up then? As long as they are not wearing moisturiser of course xxx

Hi Collin :)
Would you say it would be better for clients not to shower before and just wash off deodrant and make-up then? As long as they are not wearing moisturiser of course xxx

As individuals we all have different skin content some lean towards alkaline whilst others acidic skin..females generally lean to a more alkaline skin.

Removing the aspect of what we (particularly females) apply to the skin..perfume,make up etc etc for the moment what happens when we sweat is that there is a balancing effect which brings the skin to a more neutral state....which is ideal for the application of a spray tan solution to produce that ideal tan outcome.

So theoretically it is better not to wash the skin before application due to this factor...in addition soaps,generally speaking,are high in PH content and if not washed off adequately can further cause problems.

The reality is that given the desire for us humans to smell as well as look nice we put stuff on our skins and therefore it is,under these circumstances, better to wash off all these "additives" before having a spray tan.

It is essential to use a PH neutral soap/shampoo and ensure the skin is rinsed clean of any residue make up,deodorant and of course soap/shampoo residue.

Can anyone recommend a brand of PH neutral soap that we could pass on to clients? Or do we recommend unperfumed soap?

Hi when I trained I was told to recommend Asda's own soap, it is a three pack very plain packing. Think it's 19p for three. So if you retailed these too. These have no moisturisers in just plain old soap. It is what I use and have had no problems. :) hth.x

Can anyone recommend a brand of PH neutral soap that we could pass on to clients? Or do we recommend unperfumed soap?

It would be good to recommend any PH neutral and perfume free soaps or shampoos to spray tan customers.

If you could find a wholesale source of these they would make a great retail opportunity for you guy's :hug:

Thanks Collin but there was one ingredient that i can't think of!
Damn me for being so ditzy sometimes!

Maybe you are thinking of AHA's, these are definetly acids that need to be avoided.
hth's
x

Dermalogicas Conditioning Body Wash is soap free and acid balanced to prevent over stripping or over drying. It is however enriched with some moisturising essential oils but I have used it prior to a spray tan and a lotion tan and had no problems but I am always thourough in removing all body wash or any exfoliant.
:)

Think it was sulphate something!
I tell clients not to use dove soap. Also think there was something about not using soap with parabens.
Might be a good idea to retail soap!

I've not heard of parabens making a difference to the tan but products with high levels of sodium lauryth sulphate will strip it quicker, unfortunately this is found in nearly everything but organic body washes. Vani-t does a body wash specifically for tanners http://www.vani-t.biz/catalog_product_detail.php?product=386. The price on the site is retail you will need to contact them for wholesale prices :hug:

Soaps by their nature are alkaline so avoid them.

Sanex body/bath wash for kids is ph neutral, good stuff, goes along way

do the VANTI-T products help prevent the tan from wearing off streaky and patchy also? is it the ingredients in shower gels etc that affect how your tan wears off? Thanx x

hey guys, after reading this thread I have been looking for an sls, soap, oil free body wash that is ph neutral and cant find any that don't contain atleat one of the above mentioned arg! has anybody found anything? xx

I use su do spray tan so only know the workings of this brand. I'm not sure if all tanninf solutions work inthe same way, althou i imagine they would.

Anyways to answer youyr question. Many toiletries especially 2 in 1 shampoos & conditioners, moisturising shampoos/creams contain silicone. The silicone "seals" areas of the skin and preventing the tanning solution from binding to the keretin even after showering thoroughly.

Silocone is used in toiletries under many names:
Silicone,
Dimenthyl silicone,
Dimenthicone,
Simethicone
& Cyclomenthicone.

It Would be useful to see what products contain these ingredients so we can advise our clients.

Any other thoughts on the effects of silicone or its namesake?

It would be good to recommend any PH neutral and perfume free soaps or shampoos to spray tan customers.

If you could find a wholesale source of these they would make a great retail opportunity for you guy's :hug:

Would simple be ok to use?

Hiya. Vani-t body shampoo is SLS free. Smells fab too. Because its SLS free, it does not strip the skin of its amino acids. So if you have to shower before your tan, use this body shampoo. It will also help to extend the life of your tan x hth x
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back