Sore after a wax - Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I didn't suggest what it was she may have had an allergy to.... but just by the sheer expanse of the effected area looked like an allergic reaction to something to me. :eek::eek:

Lori said:- And I also think (after conversations with Andy) that perhaps this was a true allergic reaction to resin (rosin) based wax and she should only try some one using a non-rosin wax like Cirepil or Berins hard wax. Kim, I don't know which (if any?) of the Escentials falls under this category.

Stop being paranoid....I was answering Lori :smack::hug:

It's quite strange, because the therapist says she has used that wax before on me. So it would have the same rosin and perfume in it. I do have quite sensitive skin, so perhaps I have developed a reaction to one or the other. What I'm going to do is have a check, and if I think I am healed enough, do a WEE patch test tomorrow on the area that was affected. I've got some wax at home and it has rosin in it (different brand I'm sure), so I'll be able to see if I take a reaction.

I'll let you know how it goes! :eek:

I wouldn't do a patch test on the affected are Marion, it may flare up again. Do it on another part of your body.

Lori said:- And I also think (after conversations with Andy) that perhaps this was a true allergic reaction to resin (rosin) based wax and she should only try some one using a non-rosin wax like Cirepil or Berins hard wax. Kim, I don't know which (if any?) of the Escentials falls under this category.

Stop being paranoid....I was answering Lori :smack::hug:

Okidoki chickadee.... I'm chilled.. no paranoia here :hug: I was just saying I wasn't so on the ball to state which reaction.. I never thought about rosin if I am honest .. just that the skin looked more like an alergic reaction rather than bad technique, ie wax too hot or skin not prepped adequately ... sorry... there you go... see I still can't help but try and get the last word in LOL!!!

Thanks everyone for your concern. It's feeling a little better now, not as sore. However, bits of skin are coming off. I've gone for medical advice today, so that has made me feel a bit more reassured. BTW, to answer some of the questions, I have only used cool water, no soaps to wash with on the day of the appointment (it was in the evening) and cool water since then.. I wear "big pants" which are loose, so it hasn't been rubbing from them that has caused it. I haven't used any deoderants, sprays, soap or anything on the area. The fluid I think is plasma, and I don't think it is infection, but more later.

Well, I phoned the salon this morning and she didn't really seem that concerned. She said she was busy today, but could have a look on Monday if I wanted. However, as I talked to her she said she had 10 minutes free at 2.20, so I said I'd go to see her then. On the phone she said that my skin had been dry and flaky when she had carried out the treatment. (I thought this would mean she should have used some oil or something). She hadn't done any consultation before the service, so also asked if I was on any medication. I'm not on anything that should affect it.

I went and she had a look, and said that because of the dry skin, it had removed it and this was the new skin underneath. :eek: I think not!! She suggested using aloe vera. As I was lying there I felt a pain and there she was pulling out a remaining hair with a pair of tweezers. :eek:

Now I could be wrong in what I'm going to say, but I don't think I am. I hope the tweezers were sanitised, but thinking about it, I'm not sure. I'm fairly sure she must have been "double dipping" too during the waxing, as I saw her opening the pedal bin to throw in the used wax strips after she had used it several times, but she didn't seem to open it for the spatula thingy. In fact, at one point as I was watching she put a used stick across the top of the pot and used it again. She didn't use gloves either yesterday or today.

Anyway, I told her I was going to the hospital to get them to have a look at it in case it needed some type of medicated cream.. She said that she wouldn't put anything like this on as it would be too strong, but to use the aloe vera. (I thought, I'll stick with the doc's advice!) She asked me to let her know how I'd gotten on, and I said I'd phone on Monday. All the time I was very pleasant and not putting blame on her. I'd hoped for a bit of sympathy, but she didn't seem concerned, perhaps though because that would be admitting blame and cause problems. Thing is, I've got a voucher in the salon for a massage that my kids gave me for a pressy, so I need to go back!

Well, I left there and went up to the hospital. I saw a doctor, who had a female nurse in to supervise. She actually winced when she saw and said "Poor you!". He said that the superficial layers of skin were coming off. He said it almost looked like a yeast infection, but as I hadn't had any problems before the wax, he wouldn't treat it as this. He said I should put Sudocrem on it (like a few of you have suggested) He said it would take up to two weeks to heal.

Hopefully the Sudocrem will clear it up well. The only thing I was thinking was that maybe a yeast infection has now taken hold because of the areas of open skin? Well, I'll stick with the Sudocrem and tackle anything else if I have to.

I'm not looking to cause problems for her, and I think she is actually the Manager, so no point in complaining further.

Anyway, thanks for all your concern and support,
Marion xx

Hey Marion,
So sorry to hear of your ordeal. Only new to the site, but already know about how cavalier the beauty industry is, with many operators not being correctly trained in hygienic salon behaviour and ignoring health regulations etc. I know in Western Australia it is against the "skin penetration guidelines' to "double dip". Failure to follow these Guidelines may result in a fine to both the Salon and Beautician. I would be surprised if there was not equivalent Guidelines where you are. If I were you, I would complain to the health department. I don't know if the doctor took a swab of the areas to determine the exact infection (yeast, bacterial etc) but I know that there are more and more issues coming forward that are connected with waxing and the spread of disease due to substandard hygiene conditions such as double dipping, not wearing gloves etc.
I definately wouldn't use your voucher for a massage. At the end of the day why would you want to go there, it is almost saying that what they are doing is ok. I would rather lose my money than risk my health. If their hygiene standards are substandard, why would you risk your health?
If you get waxing again, I would be asking the questions outright, are they double dipping, are they wearing gloves, are they sterilising their tweezers?
:|

Latest posts

Back