Sore after a wax - Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's unfair to say that the therapist is stupid. Sounds more like bad training. xxx

I have to agree with you Kim. When you wax day in and day out the most experienced waxers can have 'mishaps'. The therapist may not have had the best of training or maybe inexperienced, but it might just have been 'one of those off days' and I am sure she will be grateful of being informed of the grazes so she can consider how or why it happened and make adjustments to her future treatments.

As for Essential Oils... the most appropriate oil to apply to a graze or burn would be lavender oil, known for its soothing, healing and aesthetic properties. Soldiers in the 1st World War used to use lavender on burns in the trenches which was noted for its remarkable healing properties.

I would advise drops of pure lavender oil on a cotton pad applied to the wounds then left to dry. It should be feeling better tomorrow if the are like other minor skin grazes.

JMO! :hug:

I think it's unfair to say that the therapist is stupid. Sounds more like bad training. xxx

Ok kim i shall appologise for my wording, but to be honest i could not think of a more appropriate word. We all yes make mistakes, sometimes things happen no matter how hard we try for them not to they do and yes we all must learn from our mistakes. Poorly trained does come into this you are right. But it is these people that cause difficulties for us therapist in the future in helping ladies achieve the results they would like as that one treatment can put them off for life. But also cause the pain to ladies through sheer lack of understanding. But again to be honest some times we have to make these mistakes to learn from them, but at the expence of the client.

I have no idea who has carried out this treatment and nor do i no if she is training or simply done a one day course and then thought right now i am going to make some money. So in my book all them reasons mean stupid (please give me a new word cos i really can not think of one)
I went to college over eight years ago and still remember now the structure of the skin, the hair growth pattern, hygiene, health and safety. May be she is poorly educated but surely to gain a qualification in waxing contra-indications should be covered, health and safety, hygiene. What effect repeatedly going over an area of skin will have, surly kim this is commom sence. How could she forget to clean and sanitise area, thats not lack of education that is to buisy to care and lets get the next client in. repeatedly going over an area which is obviously the case here causing removale of skin, a burn sensation and to top of weeping is infection. So i am sorry she is stupid.
I have made many a mistake threw my lack of confidence in the past, and or experience. I have caused brusing to clients, through these things, and have learnt from them . But i have never as a student or as a new therapist caused this sort of damage. Its like putting glue on to a pad, rubbing on to skin, removing and doing over and over again in the same area, this is more or less what this therapist has done. but obviously no one in the right mind would use glue (other than my hubby that is who split his knuckle open and glued it together with my nail glue, but that by the by)
Yes we could excuse her in regards to the fact that she has applied the wax, possible removed in the oposite direction of hair growth, started to panick and thought the hair aint comin of, so probably tried it every way she could think of to finish the job, causing the damage to the skin. This could be put down to in experience and lack of education, but again she should not be working on her own if it is a salon and doing an intamate waxing service with out the knowledge. Sorry she is stupid, should not be working unsupervised if she can not remember to cleanse and clean an area, with out the rest she has done.xxxx

Ps kim, u no i love u and i say all the above with much respect for u as an amazing waxing specielist, i personally just can not comprehend it:hug:

Last edited:
weeping is infection. Or it could just be plasma weeping before it knits together to form a scab!

I have made many a mistake threw my lack of confidence in the past, and or experience. I have caused brusing to clients, through these things, and have learnt from them . But i have never as a student or as a new therapist caused this sort of damage.

We shouldn't be so quick to judge others Jenny2 ... after all we have all been there and made mistakes... some of us will still make mistakes, hopefully not too many but we are all human after all. :|

Don't worry Jenny2.....no offence taken.

I just think it's easy for us all to point the finger but we've all been there. The thing with waxing of course is that it's a private treatment, so there's nobody watching over them.

I hope the poor girl isn't a geek and reading all this. xxx

Who said anything about infection.all grazes weap thats what will form the scab and new skin.Dont scare the life out of her she is actually very unlikely to get an infection unless she has an impaired immune system.

hun, i can not see her wounds, but she has stated that they are weeping, which in my proffesional opinion should not be happening, and i highly recomend she visits the doctor because weeping is an indication, along with infamation of an infection. I am certainly not trying to scare her, i only want to help and to do that my advise is to go to the doctors. When damage is caused to the skin in regards to the healing process i have never heard of weeping. My kids are constantly falling over and geting cuts and scrapes but never have there wounds weeped, bled yes, looked sore and scabbed yes, weeped no. But i am not a doctor and only a doctor will be able to give the best possible advise, and as a safety measure as the wound , burn whatever you want to call it is weeping and red and sore hygiene precautions were not taken by the therapist and there is sighns of possible infection hun then this is my recommendation.:hug:

hun, i can not see her wounds, but she has stated that they are weeping, which in my proffesional opinion should not be happening, and i highly recomend she visits the doctor because weeping is an indication, along with infamation of an infection. I am certainly not trying to scare her, i only want to help and to do that my advise is to go to the doctors. When damage is caused to the skin in regards to the healing process i have never heard of weeping. My kids are constantly falling over and geting cuts and scrapes but never have there wounds weeped, bled yes, looked sore and scabbed yes, weeped no. But i am not a doctor and only a doctor will be able to give the best possible advise, and as a safety measure as the wound , burn whatever you want to call it is weeping and red and sore hygiene precautions were not taken by the therapist and there is sighns of possible infection hun then this is my recommendation.:hug:

Jenny2 ... weeping does not necessarily mean infection... if its clean and clear its just part of the healing process. This is how plasma knits together to form a clot/scab. She didnt say it was weeping pus or it was looking infected. I really would advise you not to jump to conclusions or the worse scenario as it may be totally ill advised.

We shouldn't be so quick to judge others Jenny2 ... after all we have all been there and made mistakes... some of us will still make mistakes, hopefully not too many but we are all human after all. :|

Jen i certainly would not judge what i have not witnessed or scene with my own eyes and nor am i trying to come accross as judgementa,l and yes people/therapist make mistakes all the time, after all we would not be human if we did not make mistakes . My point jen is that when a therapist or any one for that matter enters an industry whether it be beauty or engineering for example sake, we are tought basic health and safety and hygiene for our own safety and for others around us. These are none nagotiable(sorry if i spelt that wrong, that was a hard one to spell:)) Yes we some times end up back to back with clients, yes we get tired and yes some times we forget. But hygiene should be imprinted in our brains, i now it is in mine as it was one of the first things we learnt and is also common sence.

Its like your recomendation on the use of essential oils, i personally agree with lori in that i also would never apply an essential oil directly to broken skin that is inflammed, but that is what i was tought whilst doing my level 3 aroma, but again your tutor obviously had a different opinion to the one that tought me. Obviously i am aware that essential oils can be directly applied to the skin, and that they have amazing healing properties and have been used for centuries. But i have found and was advised that when the skin is inflamed and broken, some people have adverse reactions to the essential oil and more often than not stings like mad. that is why is suggested the cool bath with a few drops of either lavender or tea tree and a cup of milk to disperse the essential oil. That way she gets the area clean, cleansed, soothed with also the treatment from the essential oil, then to pat dry and leave open to the air to dry and heal.
It does not necessarily make me or u right or wrong it is what we have learnt and learned from doing different courses with different instructors with different opinions leading to the same qualification. But i am sure like many therapist would also say, buisy , tired over worked or not , we still have a few rules of our industry that we should abide by and that is the sanitation of our hands and the area to be treated. I soppose i look upon it a bit like going to the toilet and not washing your hands, i for one could not do this and nor would i ever miss out sanitisin area to be worked upon. But this is only my opinion and is not said with intention to cause disrespect as jen i highly respect u also as a therapist from what i have read from u on this forum xxxxx:hug:

Last edited:
Jenny2 ... weeping does not necessarily mean infection... if its clean and clear its just part of the healing process. This is how plasma knits together to form a clot/scab. She didnt say it was weeping pus or it was looking infected. I really would advise you not to jump to conclusions or the worse scenario as it may be totally ill advised.

No jen she said
The areas around my groin and just at the top (where my big belly folds over) are so sore and red. The areas are actually weeping.
Now with out seeing the damage or being a doctor for that matter because of how she has worded the above sentence, i choose to say to her not only as a therapist but also as a mum and as some one who cares about what has happend to her that because it is so sore and red, because it is weeping, because lack of hygiene was not used that through my own experiences , through courses and generally being a mum of two kids that are accident prone, that there may be infection and to air on the side of caution i feel , obviously this is entirely up to her and how it feels and looks in the morning, but from what she has described this is a possiblility and it is always better to be safer than sorry. I am not going to get in to a debate, beacuse i feel there really is no need, and i am sure after reading through the concerns of all of us and what it looks like in the morning and if she is still in discomfort she will make her own mind up. xxx:hug:

Don't worry Jenny2.....no offence taken.

I just think it's easy for us all to point the finger but we've all been there. The thing with waxing of course is that it's a private treatment, so there's nobody watching over them.

I hope the poor girl isn't a geek and reading all this. xxx

I can see what you are saying kim and if the girl who carried out this treatment is a geek, i am sure she will explain her side of events and experience and if i am wrong in what i have said i will say i am. Also if she is a geek and obviously she does lack education, then i for one will certainly be recomending some one to one training to aid it god forbid happening again.

Marion hun, i hope u are feeling so much better in the morning hun. sweet dreams and hugs coming your way xxxxxx

my personal opinion...give NHS24 a wee call..a nurse will fone you back and give you advise on what to use on the area..its hard to get to see a doc over the weekend...or even go to your local pharmacist and get their advice...no clothing on the area in mean time..get the summer skirts out again

Love LindaC xxx

Sorry to hear of your experience! I'm thinking maybe Sudocrem might help? I'd try on a tiny patch first though.x

Definately make the salon aware of it, they need to make sure its not happening on a regular basis.

I personally would not put Neat oils on...I'd try warm salt water applied then thoroughly dried or aloe vera would be my first choice but we all have our own personal remedies!

If its not subsided by monday i'd take a trip to your gp.

They probably waxed over the area a number of times to cause this kind of trauma if you say the wax wasnt too hot.

oh and lastly.......find somewhere else to go for your waxing:green:

Last edited:
I had just such a reaction once to a badly performed Braz and I used Sudocrem to calm things down.
The weeping mentioned is serous fluid - the fluid part of blood. I doubt that it is infected, but it will be horribly sore.
Agree with all the others that you must inform the salon asap.
I hope you feel better soon - it's beyond painful I know!
Best wishes.

I feel really sorry for you too. :cry:But I have to say, it is not only therapists who can cause this, there are so many other things to cause it, like hot shower before the waxing, medication, tight underware, and so on and so on...
So I feel it's not fear of all of you guys to blame the therapist before hearing just one side of the story. I'm not saying it's not her fault, but from my experience I've seen so many cases like that, and only 50% were therapists fault. :|

Hi,
No treatment remedies to add, but I agree the salon should be made aware.
Hope you feel better soon, I will watch this thread to see how you are.
I do have intimate waxing done, never had a problem, but I did take time to source a salon that used Hot Wax - non strip method. Lots said yes they do Hollywood, but when I asked which method - nearly all said they used warm wax with strips. I was adamant that my 1st Hollywood was to be with hot wax. I had high bikini waxing done many many times with warm wax, I now definately recommend Hot Wax for intimate waxing. I am sure that the Geeks on here that do this type of waxing as a service would agree..(I hope). I am not trained in this waxing, just warm wax. So my opinion is really from a clients point of view.
Take care.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: :hug:

One of my favourite little quotes from the US Wax Queen is that, 'waxing is a constant source of humiliation'....because IT IS!

However experienced we are, things can go wrong, and usually when we are least expecting it.

Many (most?) of us will have lifted skin at some time or another - I know I have - and it's exactly like a graze - the top layers of skin come off - AND IT WEEPS!

It doesn't mean the therapist is a terrible person and it doesn't mean the client will get an infection. Yes, I agree the salon should be told, but sh*t happens... nobody died!

I've had grazes on my sidewalls from nail techs buffing - I survived to tell the tale, and it wouldn't stop me having another set of nails put on.

I feel sorry for Marioned, as she is the unfortunate client who is in pain :hug: but let's not hang the therapist.

Thanks everyone for your concern. It's feeling a little better now, not as sore. However, bits of skin are coming off. I've gone for medical advice today, so that has made me feel a bit more reassured. BTW, to answer some of the questions, I have only used cool water, no soaps to wash with on the day of the appointment (it was in the evening) and cool water since then.. I wear "big pants" which are loose, so it hasn't been rubbing from them that has caused it. I haven't used any deoderants, sprays, soap or anything on the area. The fluid I think is plasma, and I don't think it is infection, but more later.

Well, I phoned the salon this morning and she didn't really seem that concerned. She said she was busy today, but could have a look on Monday if I wanted. However, as I talked to her she said she had 10 minutes free at 2.20, so I said I'd go to see her then. On the phone she said that my skin had been dry and flaky when she had carried out the treatment. (I thought this would mean she should have used some oil or something). She hadn't done any consultation before the service, so also asked if I was on any medication. I'm not on anything that should affect it.

I went and she had a look, and said that because of the dry skin, it had removed it and this was the new skin underneath. :eek: I think not!! She suggested using aloe vera. As I was lying there I felt a pain and there she was pulling out a remaining hair with a pair of tweezers. :eek:

Now I could be wrong in what I'm going to say, but I don't think I am. I hope the tweezers were sanitised, but thinking about it, I'm not sure. I'm fairly sure she must have been "double dipping" too during the waxing, as I saw her opening the pedal bin to throw in the used wax strips after she had used it several times, but she didn't seem to open it for the spatula thingy. In fact, at one point as I was watching she put a used stick across the top of the pot and used it again. She didn't use gloves either yesterday or today.

Anyway, I told her I was going to the hospital to get them to have a look at it in case it needed some type of medicated cream.. She said that she wouldn't put anything like this on as it would be too strong, but to use the aloe vera. (I thought, I'll stick with the doc's advice!) She asked me to let her know how I'd gotten on, and I said I'd phone on Monday. All the time I was very pleasant and not putting blame on her. I'd hoped for a bit of sympathy, but she didn't seem concerned, perhaps though because that would be admitting blame and cause problems. Thing is, I've got a voucher in the salon for a massage that my kids gave me for a pressy, so I need to go back!

Well, I left there and went up to the hospital. I saw a doctor, who had a female nurse in to supervise. She actually winced when she saw and said "Poor you!". He said that the superficial layers of skin were coming off. He said it almost looked like a yeast infection, but as I hadn't had any problems before the wax, he wouldn't treat it as this. He said I should put Sudocrem on it (like a few of you have suggested) He said it would take up to two weeks to heal.

Hopefully the Sudocrem will clear it up well. The only thing I was thinking was that maybe a yeast infection has now taken hold because of the areas of open skin? Well, I'll stick with the Sudocrem and tackle anything else if I have to.

I'm not looking to cause problems for her, and I think she is actually the Manager, so no point in complaining further.

Anyway, thanks for all your concern and support,
Marion xx

One of my favourite little quotes from the US Wax Queen is that, 'waxing is a constant source of humiliation'....because IT IS!

I realised I hadn't said the size of the areas and I'm not complaining about a little tiny area. The red damaged areas are about 8" by 2 1/2" across the top, and about 6" by 2" along and under each groin area. It's even much more humiliating going to the doc and bareing all when it looks like this. LOL However, I've had two babies, so I suppose it shouldn't bother me too much! You lose all your dignity in childbirth!

Marion xx

I realised I hadn't said the size of the areas and I'm not complaining about a little tiny area. The red damaged areas are about 8" by 2 1/2" across the top, and about 6" by 2" along and under each groin area. It's even much more humiliating going to the doc and bareing all when it looks like this. LOL However, I've had two babies, so I suppose it shouldn't bother me too much! You lose all your dignity in childbirth!

Marion xx

Wow Marion.... they are a fair size... I imagined much smaller grazes.... you will have to make sure you take care of wounds that size. Good luck with your recovery and I hope you don't suffer too much longer :hug:

Hi, I am so sorry that you have gone through this awful ordeal and I hope you get better soon. Regarding the therapist not seeming concerned I think this is awful and her advise of not going to the doctor probably made her internally panic. I would take some photographs and maybe consider taking it further, but its your decision, I'm sure you would get a doctors note to back you up. just a thought. thinking of you xx

Latest posts

Back