Staff appearance dilema! Help!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilekyle

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I hope someone can help with a problem I have.I am trying to get the beauty side of the business up and running and have a girl working for me who is good at what she does, but she doesn't look the part!
Potential Customers are put off by her appearance. She has the most dreadful hair extensions that I have ever seen (rats tails and you can practically see every bit of glue) and her customer service skills are not very good. She doesn't wear makeup and I guess she isn't a sterotypical beautician.
Potential Customers come and ask about treatments, then they ask if the girl in question will be doing it and then they don't want it done.
What do I do???
Do I try and get her to change or get someone new in altogether????
I am not in the salon that often as I have another job because I am trying to fund the shop so I can't mentor or spend alot of time with her.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!x

Hi everyone.
I hope someone can help with a problem I have.I am trying to get the beauty side of the business up and running and have a girl working for me who is good at what she does, but she doesn't look the part!
Potential Customers are put off by her appearance. She has the most dreadful hair extensions that I have ever seen (rats tails and you can practically see every bit of glue) and her customer service skills are not very good. She doesn't wear makeup and I guess she isn't a sterotypical beautician.
Potential Customers come and ask about treatments, then they ask if the girl in question will be doing it and then they don't want it done.
What do I do???
Do I try and get her to change or get someone new in altogether????
I am not in the salon that often as I have another job because I am trying to fund the shop so I can't mentor or spend alot of time with her.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!x

Appearance is essential in this type of job.I think you need to sit her down and explain diplomatically that you want her to look the part for the job as the two go hand in hand.Ref the getting rid of her what are her treatments like?is she good?If she is good and you feel you could work on her with the customer skills and appearance,then I feel I would be tempted to try talking to her and see if a fix can be put in place before letting her go.If she has no real good points then letting her go would be something you may well have to really think about

I also have to say that a lot of beauty therapists dont wear make up( I do) especially when young they dont always need to.It's all about grooming.Just because a therapist doesn't wear make up doesnt mean she isn't good with make-up application.Indeed we had a girl in our class at college who was absolutely fantastic at make up application and never wore a drop of it.But she was immaculately groomed and that's the difference.

She obviously needs some re training ref the customer skills side of things.Customer skills again is crucial in this or any job working with the public.If people aren;t booking in once they see her then this seriously needs to be addressed because if not then you wont have any business left.Good luck.:hug:

Last edited:
personally i think you might be better getting somone new in. Not because she doesnt look the part as this can be rectified with a few diplomatic suggestions, however you have stated shes not very good at customer service.

If you are not in the salon all the time to "manage" her and any other staff then you really need a good all rounder.....................someone who can effectively manage themselves, have good customer service but still provide excellent treatments.

Its a tough one tho, obviously you dont want to offend the girl as she thinks she looks good! Maybe try initially to get her to change her hair etc do you have a hairdressing friend that would pretend she needed a model for something?

I'd let her go if it were me. One has to tick more of the boxes than just being able to do the job; she needs to look good, behave professionally AND be skilled in the treatments.
I heard via a friend last week that I got a bridal job as soon as the girl walked into my salon because she saw my own makeup and decided I clearly did know what I was doing!
If your girl's appearance and attitude are putting clients off it doesn't matter how good her hands on skills are; she won't have any clients to treat, will she?!

This is your business! I'm sorry but I have to echo what Lynne has said. Appearances count for everything, she is losing you business right now - fact. Customer service skills will not develop overnight. Find someone who is going to suit all criteria. (I know easier said than done)!

This is no time to be sentimental.

This is your business! I'm sorry but I have to echo what Lynne has said. Appearances count for everything, she is losing you business right now - fact. Customer service skills will not develop overnight. Find someone who is going to suit all criteria. (I know easier said than done)!

This is no time to be sentimental.

I dont agree that appearance counts for everything,it is important yes but,if you had a therapist who was fantastic at her treatments but looked shoddy you wouldn't just sack her.I think give her at least a chance to rectify things,legally I think you will find you have to anyway,you cant just sack somebody for these issues.

I would do an appraisal and voice all of your concerns,give her some training and give her say 2 weeks to see a very marked improvement if not then I think a more harsher stance may be needed.

I dont agree that appearance counts for everything,it is important yes but,if you had a therapist who was fantastic at her treatments but looked shoddy you wouldn't just sack her.I think give her at least a chance to rectify things,legally I think you will find you have to anyway,you cant just sack somebody for these issues.

I would do an appraisal and voice all of your concerns,give her some training and give her say 2 weeks to see a very marked improvement if not then I think a more harsher stance may be needed.

From a customers point of view, if the therapist does not look the part they are not going to book in the first instance. You have no way of knowing potential clients you have lost. So I reiterate, appearance is everything. I agree, this can be worked upon - but coupled with other issues, I'm sorry - If it were my business, I know what I would do.

I think its her attitude that is more worrying...I always say a smile goes a long way etc and if she doesn't have the appropriate customer skills it may be time to let her go. also, she should be taking a pride in her appearance!! poss try talking to her about it, but i prob would just start looking for someone new. i feel that 50% of a clients experience is the actual treatment, and the other 50% is how they like the salon, enjoy the company of the hterapist etc. I have a good few clients i have gained from a salon along the road just because i have a good chat with them, make them some tea when they come in, whereas the other salon didnt hardly speak to them...which salon would you rather own?

Completely agree with your reply! XXX You have to give the girl a chance to sort herself out, just be tactfull. If you dont feel comfortable brnging her in 1-2-1 straight away, why not hand out a 'new/updated' copy of your policies with regards to uniform, appearance and attitude?? See if she takes the hint?????

Im training now, level 2 nail tech, and we are taught, hair to be up and neat, natural make-up to be worn...and even to keep breath mints handy, as you are in such close proximity to your clients. I dont wear make up normally, but i always wear for college! Hahaha xxx

Hope it gets sorted xxx

I am starting up my mobile business and have recently become aware that everyone I see when outside (taking kids to school, shops etc) is a potental client and feel I always need to be presentable and pleasant whenever I leave the house. I agree you should give her the oppertunity to improve but with a time limit.

I too was in a position as the girl. (not in the beauty industry though). I did'nt wear make up and was kinda off-ish with clients :-(
I did'nt actually notice at the time, it was my personallity THEN. My boss called me in and wanted to let me go, i told her i'll change. It took a while, but i did. I started wearing make up, was friendlier to customers and i instantly picked up when i was moody towards a client.

Today, i'm one of the friendliest people, and NEVER go out without make up.

Give her a chance, maybe she'll change, if not, let her go. I undersatnd your dillema, but if you have'nt spoken to her, she won't know how you feel.

(if my boss had'nt given me a 2nd chance, i would'nt have been in the beauty industry now, wearing make up, made me realise my dream :)

Well if it was me , I would tell her what my concerns are and give her the chance to smarten up. I wonder if she realises that you are not happy with her appearance? Maybe, all it will take is a diplomatic word.

then if it does not, you'll have to make a choice. Id be inclined to give her the chance as you say is good at what she does.

tigi
xxx

By the way who hired her? This she have the same appearance at the interview? Or did she change since working in your place? These quesstions need to be answed by you and then make a decision. If she presented herself at the inteview like that then she really doesn't care about appearance and she won't change. If she became untidy and careless about her looks since working there then she wants to make a statement of some sort. Find out what is really the situation and then make a decision based on what you find out.Is it her atitude or education in regards to appearance causing the problem?

By the way who hired her? This she have the same appearance at the interview? Or did she change since working in your place? These quesstions need to be answed by you and then make a decision. If she presented herself at the inteview like that then she really doesn't care about appearance and she won't change. If she became untidy and careless about her looks since working there then she wants to make a statement of some sort. Find out what is really the situation and then make a decision based on what you find out.Is it her atitude or education in regards to appearance causing the problem?

My thoughts excatly!
I have read all the above posts & so surprised just you holistica asked this question!
Also was referances checked in the interview, did she have a trades test, did you give her a trial period?
You have been given some great advice above, & the bottom line is most people DO judge a book by its cover, & first impressions are so important.
I personally think walking into a salon can be very intimedating, so clients need to feel comfortable & welcome from the off!
Good luck & keep us posted with your decision :hug:

Are you happy with her work performance? If her appearance is the only issue than that can be easily fixed. Sit her down and explain the situation - tell her that her appearance is holding her back as potential customers don't have confidence in her. Advise her to spend the time using her skills on herself. Phrase it in a caring and tactful way and she should come around.

There are potential employment law issues here, so I would be very careful about sacking her without giving her the statutory warnings first.

Sit her down and have a chat over a cup of tea, tell her what your concerns are and what changes you would like to see her make.

I would also ask her if there is anything that YOU can do to help her, maybe she has other issues that are affecting the way she looks and behaves.

Who is managing for your salon for you whilst you are not there, distance management can be tricky.

Latest posts

Back