Sticks and strips - who's do you use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
There have been many debates in recent months about Waxes and which is the best ... one thing I think we all agree'd on is that it is personal preference.

But what about those other really important parts of the waxing treatment - the strips and (for those who use them) spatulas?

Have to admit I've never thought much about them or the differences and have previously bought in small bulk (around 30 - 40 at a time) from Beauty Express and Ellisons their own brand versions. But then when cashflow was a bit harder I bought from my local Wholesaler. Because their stock levels are a bit random I've tried several ... oh my god who knew the most simple thing could be so different!

I've been through a phase of using Hive sticks and strips and then just did a bulk Beauty Express order for their sticks and strips and quite frankly I can't wait to get through them all so I can do a big order direct with Hive!

So what about you? Do you just get the cheapest you can or do you have a specific brand you like to use?

Mat

Hi Mat, I have tried many but now tend to use Hive spatulas and Lotus Essential paper strips, from Salons Direct. Some of the cheaper spatulas are a bit smaller, which I didn't like, and also, some paper strips (Mercia springs to mind) are a bit flimsy.

I bought some Mercia strips and they were dreadful. Small and flimsy (as ZoZo says), and horrid to use. I use Clean and Easy wax so use their strips which are large and substantial. As for spats I use the mercia ones as they are a good size and they snap cleanly in two, lengthways, for lips (in both areas, ahem)
Are we going to have the discussion about nicking little spats from Starbucks again?!

Are we going to have the discussion about nicking little spats from Starbucks again?!

I still regale friends with tales of that debate much to their constant bemusement. :)

I loved Hive's spatulas and strips. Still love their spatulas but have recently found some strips I'd never heard of before called "Deo" in a small independent wholsesalers in Cardiff, and fell in love with them

So it's still Hive spatulas and Deo strips for me now!

Last edited:
I'm with you i've been using deo strips for a few years now from my local wholesaler. I find the fabric ones the seem to have a higher thread count and the paper ones i use for facial waxing are nice and flexible.

I have recently bought some Deo strips to try but as yet still using up old ones but can't remember what make. I do like Hive spatulas though.

I purchase 100% unbleached cotton or muslin in large rolls from the local fabric store and cut my strips to meet my needs. I also buy bulk boxes of spatulas from ebay.
That said, I recently purchased one of the Lori Nestore's large wax spatulas and the non-woven fabric and they are amazing!!!

I tend to always stick with just wax strips as they seem much wider than the other fabric ones I've used in the past. Spatulas though, I've used some really crappy ones... lol, that just bend and snap pretty badly... I just tend to put my order in with the wholesaler and use what I' get given! I'm going to try some of the Lori Nestores ones now... never heard of them but I'm going to look them up now!!!!

I use large metal spats for body waxing.

I use cheap wooden spats for intimate, under arms and face......I like the Mercia ones as they split easily for brows.

I treat myself to Perron Rigot strips. Not cheap but so lovely to use. xx

just out of interest how would you clean the metal spats??? surgical spirit pops into my mind but wondered if you used anything else??? I might invest in some of these.... x

just out of interest how would you clean the metal spats??? surgical spirit pops into my mind but wondered if you used anything else??? I might invest in some of these.... x
Get a container that a little taller than the metal part of your spat. Fill with solvent and toss your spat in there when you've finished using it. By the time you take them out later on, there isn't a bit of wax to be seen.

You then wipe them with a tissue and clean in the usual way. Remember that the solvent is just removing the wax and not cleaning them. xxx

I use perron rigot strips cos they are wide and comfy for me (if you know what I mean) and I use roller wax normally but for hot wax I use mercia spats (possibly cos that is what they had a Sally's at the time) however I was in Capital recently and I found these stunning tiny spatulas which are tapered at one end specifically for brows and lips and I LOVE them! I find that as they are shorter they are easier to use than splitting the big ones. I have quite small hands so I think this may have something to do with it! I highly recommend!

I bought some Mercia strips and they were dreadful. Small and flimsy (as ZoZo says), and horrid to use. I use Clean and Easy wax so use their strips which are large and substantial. As for spats I use the mercia ones as they are a good size and they snap cleanly in two, lengthways, for lips (in both areas, ahem)

I love the mercia wax strips :lol: its funny because I always end up going back to them even though they are probably the cheapest ones Ive had, I specifically have to go and get them from sallys yet everything else I usually buy from ellisons. I had some australian bodycare once and hated them found them really thick and like cardboard.

For facial waxing I use the clean + easy petite waxing strips as Im lazy and can't be bothered to cut the big ones up.

I use the abc tube system so only use petite spatulas for brows/lip again I buy the clean + easy ones.

Like wax its personal preference, I hate with a passion the muslin strips and haven't used them for years, could never get one with them.

There is nothing like a non-disposable spatula for soft wax. Yes this means you have more than one and they are more expensive than the other, but you don't throw them out and they are lovely to spread the wax, easier and faster with a better application.

As far as strips go: pellon or non-woven are more expensive but if used properly you will use very few which now makes them not expensive per treatment. And again...so lovely to use!

There is nothing like a non-disposable spatula for soft wax. Yes this means you have more than one and they are more expensive than the other, but you don't throw them out and they are lovely to spread the wax, easier and faster with a better application.

As far as strips go: pellon or non-woven are more expensive but if used properly you will use very few which now makes them not expensive per treatment. And again...so lovely to use!

I was using my large spatula today and I LOVE how you just wipe off the wax with a strip afterwards..... wonderful! I used to have a metal one and it was a pain to clean. I love the ease of the plastic one!!

Kim Can you tell me the legalities around wax pots/spatulas? I obviously know that you have to constantly change spatulas for different areas and or clients but recently i was informed that i cannot use the same wax pot for several client and that i have to change wax for every different area ie one pot for bikini and one pot for legs? Can you advise.
Lisa

Latest posts

Back