Talks of another fuel blockade

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately that thas what people said abour diesel 10 years ago - when it was considerably cheaper than petrol....now its more expensive and for the most part, diesel isn't that fuel efficient...unless you are doing a pretty high mileage, when you look at the cost differential between petrol and diesel cars, servicing etc. IMO LPG is being sold pretty much as a loss leader right now and I think that will start to rise in price too!

Totaly agree. It will go up as diesel has, but for now its cheap.

everyone keeps saying about the tax on petrol being so high, (which i definatly agree that it is)but......the tax has not changed on the petrol lately, tax certainly does not go up by nearly 10p a litre in a matter of weeks- this is not what is putting the price up its the fuel companies as far as i'm aware. In south africa the fuel is controlled by their goverment and is set at a price and it is that price everywhere you go (it was like that when i went thre last anyway:))
feel free to correct me if you think i am wrong buy this is what i was told.

sian
xx

everyone keeps saying about the tax on petrol being so high, (which i definatly agree that it is)but......the tax has not changed on the petrol lately, tax certainly does not go up by nearly 10p a litre in a matter of weeks- this is not what is putting the price up its the fuel companies as far as i'm aware. In south africa the fuel is controlled by their goverment and is set at a price and it is that price everywhere you go (it was like that when i went thre last anyway:))
feel free to correct me if you think i am wrong buy this is what i was told.

sian
xx

The government put 2.5p tax on every litre on the 1st October....thats 6 or 7 weeks ago. And as the price rises (recently due to the fact that the price of a barrel of oil is at an all time high) the tax goes up too, as a large proportion of it is paid as a percentge of the cost, such as but not only VAT...so yes in fact the government is increasing the fuel tax all the time.

Thats all very well if you can afford one of those new swanky low emmision cars. I for one, can't. i have the most fuel efficient car i can get for my money and the road tax is still A touch under £200.

I have neither a swanky nor new car. its a 2003 peugeot 206. Before that i had a fiat seicento which was costing me FAR more in insurance, tax, petrol and repairs than it has cost me to buy a newer car.

No matter what it is it doesnt seem to stop people buying huge great 4 wheel drives that do about 15 mile to the gallon the roads are full of them.

No matter what it is it doesnt seem to stop people buying huge great 4 wheel drives that do about 15 mile to the gallon the roads are full of them.

Especially round here. And why you need one to pick one child up from school in Surrey is beyond me. I wouldn't mind if the silly bints could park!

Sorry, I digress..........:green:

Yep, and then us peeps and farmers who live out in the sticks get classed along with the rest of them, and loads of farmers and rural dwellers I know have had to put up with the road tax hike. Luckily my car is AWD, but wasn't included in the hiked road tax list.

It makes it even worse when you know our taxes are being spent on things that do not benefit our country, and the fact that NHS hospitals should be built out of gold bars with the amount of tax we pay, but actually the real state of the NHS is mediocre to dismal! How rubbish our system is!

Especially round here. And why you need one to pick one child up from school in Surrey is beyond me. I wouldn't mind if the silly bints could park!

Heh heh, one of my favourite sights is watching a flustered, over-highlighted, yummy-mummy-wannabe trying to park her tank. I think I've held up traffic before to spectate! :green:

I have neither a swanky nor new car. its a 2003 peugeot 206. Before that i had a fiat seicento which was costing me FAR more in insurance, tax, petrol and repairs than it has cost me to buy a newer car.

Same here, i have a M reg Fiesta 1.8 engine and tax is much lower than £200 a year, and several people i know have 03 plate diesel fiestas and only pay £35 tax, so it doesnt have to be a new car.

This made me laugh, as i walk past a school on the way to work and the other day i saw 3 mothers all trying to park and all went up the kurb!! I'm not the world's best parker, but they have these huge cars! My mum used to have 4 kids and a pushchair in a Fiat 500 when we were little! *lol*

Same here, i have a M reg Fiesta 1.8 engine and tax is much lower than £200 a year, and several people i know have 03 plate diesel fiestas and only pay £35 tax, so it doesnt have to be a new car.

Sorry my fault, I've not made myself very clear. Our car really needs to be an estate or some such like it. It needs to hold all the parafinalia for two under three yr olds, including a double buggy. It also has to be able to pull a large caravan and hubbys race bikes. It needs to have a heafty engine really. Hence the reason our next car is a Range Rover, our current car can't take it any more. :(

Sorry my fault, I've not made myself very clear. Our car really needs to be an estate or some such like it. It needs to hold all the parafinalia for two under three yr olds, including a double buggy. It also has to be able to pull a large caravan and hubbys race bikes. It needs to have a heafty engine really. Hence the reason our next car is a Range Rover, our current car can't take it any more. :(

Ive just searched 'economical family car' on google, came up with a Citroën Xsara Picasso HDI. Ive found several on ebay (easiest place to check) from £2500 to £5000. now i know nothing about having children, caravans or bikes, but wouldnt a car like this do the job?

Citroën Xsara Picasso HDI 2.0l Desire - Review - Fantastic economical family car!

So is this car cheaper to tax then?

I will go have a look for it's towing limits.

dont know about the tax, but cheaper to run, didnt realy look that much, just did a quick search to get an idea! but its an HDi, and i think they are cheaper. mine is an HDi too - pretty powerful to behonest, its only a 1.4 aswell.

i received an email telling people not to buy petrol from shell or esso garages,
and to stick with places like tesco, this will mean that if nobody is buying petrol from there they will have to lower their prices, and the others will lower prices as well, this would hurt them more than lorries blocking the entrances, cos lets face it we will all panic buy before the lorries block, so in theory they are still getting their money! (if that makes sense!)

Have you checked the Road Tax on the range rover? you're getting as we bought a Series 2 51 plate range rover which is LPG converted and thought great! lower road tax etc. But NO! and the DVLA made some excuse up about it needing to be a Dual fuel car from new but at least LPG is about half the price of Petrol and diesel. Anyway now we've also got a Series 2 Discovery and peugeot 307 both diesel and are currently converting to biodiesel (old cooking oil) and the cars seem to be running ok on it however I've been told to be careful during the cold months as it can clog the filters up etc but - ya never know unless ya try it!!. and we can get biodiesel for around 80p per litre. and its environmentally friendly!

Blooming heck ! £35 for a tax disk per year (I need a faint smiley).

I pay £180 per year for a 1.8 Diesel (15 years old).

I can get roughly 350 miles out of £38 fuel. But yes, the fuel prices from the garages that I drive past range from £1.03 to £1.08 per litre.

The Sainsbury's down the road from me has literally increased their prices with 1p every two days over the past week and a half :eek: :eek:

I didn't get fuel on Monday (I didn't need it), but a lot of the places still looked as busy as ever on Monday. So don't think the exercise made any difference...

Marlise

Have you checked the Road Tax on the range rover? you're getting as we bought a Series 2 51 plate range rover which is LPG converted and thought great! lower road tax etc. But NO! and the DVLA made some excuse up about it needing to be a Dual fuel car from new but at least LPG is about half the price of Petrol and diesel. Anyway now we've also got a Series 2 Discovery and peugeot 307 both diesel and are currently converting to biodiesel (old cooking oil) and the cars seem to be running ok on it however I've been told to be careful during the cold months as it can clog the filters up etc but - ya never know unless ya try it!!. and we can get biodiesel for around 80p per litre. and its environmentally friendly!

Tax on the RR is the same as our ford focus, no different. but i won't have to pay congestion charge, in any city i go into. Also fuel costs will be cheaper, and it will tow all the stuff we need towing with no problems. i know with smaller engined cars, they 'can' pull the wieght but as it near there max towing limit it knackers the car.

Latest posts

Back