Tattoos\Piercings & Professionalism

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soriminah

Reaction score
Hi all

Leading on from the other tattoo thread, it got me thinking. Since so many of us have tattoos and piercings, what is everyones thoughts on body modification and professionalism.

Personally I have 10 tattoos and 6 piercings. Usually it's not something I think about and most people aren't bothered about either - I've never had any negative feedback, but then again, maybe they're not game to.

Anywho, have you come across any clients who are bothered by it and see it as being unprofessional or made rude comments based on your modifications? Do people perceive you as being something your not based on your appearance?

Just interested to see what peoples experiences are.

I had one lady when I worked within another salon, whom told me I looked rough and would never get a boyfriend looking as I did!! This was based on her seeing my spikey hair, nose piercing and lip piercing, and a trail of star tattoos up my inner arm! I took it with a pinch of salt tho and was waaay relieved she had not seen my half naked vampy fairy all over my back!!! lol

I find my appearance has actually helped me get a more unusual client base in many ways, which is what I always wanted to do.

In my former life as a nursery nurse I was 'advised' by my manager (we were friendly and I had broached the subject with her) that one on show would not be appropriate for the job.
The two I have are easily covered if I want/need to. Upper arm and side of foot, so a t-shirt over one, and a full shoe over the other. They are both small and 'tasteful' (for want of a better word please don't anyone take offence by that iykwim) one is a star, and one is a swirl with a flower, so I can't see me ever having major problems.

Think it depends on what business your in....nails,hair and skin,does'nt bother me tattoos or piercings, ....each to their own...

I think if you work in a bank or head of a large department.....it put the oldish people off who still live in the "old day" world !! some people have old fashioned values and its up to them....but they should not judge a book by its cover.:green:

Last edited:
I've had huge arguments with people about personal appearence. Apparently my having a red mohawk wasn't 'professional'. I then asked to see a list of what is considered a professional haircut or if the Institute of Directors had such guidance.

The colour and style of my hair is a reflection of my personality and how I wish to dress myself and my body, not my ability to do my job. Any views of professionalism are, in my experience, based on ignorance and prejudice.

Mat xx

I've had huge arguments with people about personal appearence. Apparently my having a red mohawk wasn't 'professional'. I then asked to see a list of what is considered a professional haircut or if the Institute of Directors had such guidance.

The colour and style of my hair is a reflection of my personality and how I wish to dress myself and my body, not my ability to do my job. Any views of professionalism are, in my experience, based on ignorance and prejudice.

Mat xx
Well said

I have had so many argumens over tattoo's and piercings in the past. People see you dress a certain way or listen to a certain music..have tattoo's or piercings and presume to know the type of person you are.
Its all a way of expressing yourself. doesnt make you any the less proffesional.

Up until last year I looked very like my Avatar make up and hair wise. Definatly NOT proffesional enough for a certain retail store.

I love Opera, dont smoke, drink, have my g/kids I love and im so soft its untrue..also a true friend...but all people see is tattoo's and piercings.so short sighted.

The truely great thing is being able to work for yourself sucessfully, and no one tell you what you can or cannot wear.

I have a different view on this.

I work for myself, therefore in theory I can wear what I want. I am very much into the goth/industrial scene and out of working hours I like to dress accordingly. I have a couple of piercings, and I have plans for a tattoo, albeit one which can be covered for professionalism.

In the future I have plans to set up a sister company, doing nails on a mobile basis which caters for goth/alternative, but in the here and present I appreciate that to be a successful business I must know my market. My target customer, like it or not, is the mainstream lady who would be put off by a tech with outrageous hair, lots of visible tattoos and piercings, and so in order not to alienate my target customer base, I dress accordingly for work. What I wear is nothing like what I would choose to wear if it were a matter of personal preference, but work is work, wear what you like outside of work in my view.

Similarly, if I were to find myself in a position where I can employ someone, I would expect them to dress accordingly too. I would expect to be able to ask an employee to respect the fact that outward appearances are important in an industry where we are paid to enhance a persons' appearance, and to be honest, I wouldnt care whether you like to express your personality through your appearance or not, work is work, express your personality in your own time!

I can say this in all confidence without being hypocritical, as I said, I'm heavily into the alternative scene myself and so I understand the desire to express yourself through tattoos and piercings and such, but why do you need to do it at work?

I don't have tattoo's or piercings but i have pink and blue hair, and I think as long as you have clean/smart salon uniform on it shouldn't matter

I'm a newbie from the US but am compelled to reply to this thread (good one!). Although I'm in Southern California, I'm not in LA where, "just about anything goes" - I'm in a smaller town near San Diego that's somewhat wealthy and conservative.

I'm also 50 years old, so on a personal note, I do not have any piercings (other than my ear lobes) but do have a couple tatties from over the years but made it a point to always have them put in a place that I could hide them (hip and inside shoulder) I love them and USED to show them off, but I don't feel comfortable doing so any more. Additionally, in my business, in my location, I have many older clients that would definitely be turned off if I was not conservative in appearance. I'd rather make the money and be "who I am" in private and I'm okay with that. thanks for the opportunity to express my opinion! ox kelly

As a client I would feel somewhat intimidated by a pierced, tattooed therapist. Subconsciously I would be thinking "please don't make me look like you". Beauty therapy, for me, is an image thing, and an aspirational one at that. From a business point of view I want to appeal to a wider audience than the niche one which wouldn't be troubled by piercings and tattoos.

As a client I would feel somewhat intimidated by a pierced, tattooed therapist. Subconsciously I would be thinking "please don't make me look like you". Beauty therapy, for me, is an image thing, and an aspirational one at that. From a business point of view I want to appeal to a wider audience than the niche one which wouldn't be troubled by piercings and tattoos.
Well unless you were going to them for a piercing or a tattoo, why would they?

I know!
But it's a subconscious thing. Being pierced and tattooed doesn't match my idea of beauty, that's all.

imo its yet another prejudice that we have to deal with.

Some people choose to judge me negatively because i am 'modified', I try to dis-regard those peple,

Others....many more than not..dont have a problem, if anything, most people are just interested, in the same way someones interested in your current nail creation!

Its the way of the world, some folk have some prejudices, maybe we all do, but its best to rise above it.

I think if you work in a bank or head of a large department.....it put the oldish people off who still live in the "old day" world !! some people have old fashioned values and its up to them....but they should not judge a book by its cover.:green:

Ah, but, then, older people are from the previous time when it was really fashionable, the 1940's - 50's! My dad is 83 and has 3 big tattoos, and I live and breathe the 1950's, and tat's were well fashionable then. Someone who was a young trendy 25 in 1955, will be 78 now :green:

AND - it wasn't just men who had them, the tattoo place near me has a book with loads of pics of women in the 1940's with them, all in the UK! I also got a book from the library with the same kinda pics in.

(I'm going to get an authentic 1940's or 50's one on my shoulder)

You'd never guess I'm passionate about this, would ya:green:

I once went for a job in Pets Corner and was told that I would have to take my nose piercing out if I was offered the job!!!
I was offered it, but didnt except-for other reasons-but found it completely ridiculous that a nose piercing or any piercing/tattoo would hinder my ability to do a job!!!

I once went for a job in Pets Corner and was told that I would have to take my nose piercing out if I was offered the job!!!
I was offered it, but didnt except-for other reasons-but found it completely ridiculous that a nose piercing or any piercing/tattoo would hinder my ability to do a job!!!

How odd! But I suppose the same as my nose piercing when I worked as a nursery nurse. I was not allowed to wear it for work at all, had to remove it, and it closed up really quickly. Now, I could understand if I had a ring in my nose that could get caught in a childs finger and rip out, but I wore (and still do) a really teeny tiny stud. I always bent the back, so it wouldn't fall out or get pulled out, and I offered to wear a butterfly back, but no, it had to come out. I had it repierced again and it doesn't heal so quickly now (slightly different place) thank goodness!

Hi everyone,
I have read all of your replies and I am going to be fair in saying that it is the clients who really decide what is professional to them by their choice of therapists. And on this note I will say that you are all right this is a win win situation, the clients are happy and the therapist (what ever they look like :lol:) are happy.

Ah, but, then, older people are from the previous time when it was really fashionable, the 1940's - 50's! My dad is 83 and has 3 big tattoos, and I live and breathe the 1950's, and tat's were well fashionable then. Someone who was a young trendy 25 in 1955, will be 78 now :green:

AND - it wasn't just men who had them, the tattoo place near me has a book with loads of pics of women in the 1940's with them, all in the UK! I also got a book from the library with the same kinda pics in.

(I'm going to get an authentic 1940's or 50's one on my shoulder)

You'd never guess I'm passionate about this, would ya:green:

I mean.....old fashoned values and that people should not have tattoos or pierceing's. I also love tats ...hubby is tattoo artist.....!!. In america its more acceptable to have tattoo's where some places its still frowned upo.

My brother lives in Denmark and he is a professional golfer....He has tattoo's BUT has had them on his lower arm removed as people did not like them.

As i said in the other post I was told at 18 that I was 'branded' cos of my tat on back of my left wrist Moo! My salon is the cleanest salon in this town, it is well decorated in brown n cream (not the boring shades!) I am constantly complimented on the salon, staff and attitude. All 3 of us have tats, 2 staff r Polish and are very colourful n flamboyant. 1 is an artist and embellishes her uniform sometimes not to my or my clients taste the other has crazy hair IMO - we do however fantastic nails and no1 cares. We are known for being out there with our designs and attitude to nails, if we did not our clothes, hair, etc would be picked at as people have nothing better to say.
Dont mind them be who you want to be

Dont mind them be who you want to be

Here, here!! I have 9 large tattoo's & 20 piercings!!! Its who I am & no one will dictate to me how I should be. I'm not a clone nore do I have the desire to be one! I like the fact I am an individual!!! I am & always have been professional in all that I do!! Plus never had anything other than compliments & OMG your mad/brave, lol! Be who you want to be, its your life don't let others lead it for you!! A lot of any disapproving comments are generally down to jealousy & the fact that person can't be as out going & happy with themselves as you. :hug:

Latest posts

Back