Things people from other areas don't understand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For your information, evil cow, I heard the term "Bacon bottie" on a British sitcom.

I can imagine you two doing a Thelma and Louise one day and going on a mad road trip (maybe without the driving off a cliff part tho) ;)

I can imagine you two doing a Thelma and Louise one day and going on a mad road trip (maybe without the driving off a cliff part tho) ;)

Only difference, she'd be the only one going off the cliff. I'd push her!

Only difference, she'd be the only one going off the cliff. I'd push her!

Noooo, I said no cliff! Just a mad trip and maybe Brad Pitt ;)

Hey evil one - Debs said NO CLIFF!!

You are so vile, may you have to roll up your boobies and tuck them in your bra

:eek: And a rolly-polly is in reality a Pill Bug. We play with them because when you touch them, they roll up into a ball as a protection mechanism.

A cheesy bug!

We have loads but the only ones I can think of at the min are billy = liar, spod = geek and scummer = Jeremy Kyle guest haha. Also, no offence to anyone who is actually from Dover but we sometimes say 'He's from Dover' as code for scummer; I have no idea where that came from lol.

My boyfs family are Irish and I genuinely can't understand a word his nan says, after 6yrs he still has to translate. He denies being Irish but the other day he said it would be easier to clean up to the back of me when he meant clean up as I go...that to me is Irish through and through!

It's funny the sayings that stay in the family from when you were little though; I'm not overly naive but I genuinely thought the words to the Popeye theme tune were 'He's Popeye the sailor man, he lives in a caravan, there's a hole in the middle for Olive to piddle, he's Popeye the sailor man'...can't believe no-one corrected me until I was 23. My grandad must be having a right giggle up there :D!

I've literally JUST said this so had to post..'I'm starvin like marvin' my grandad and mum say this a lot that's probably where I picked it up! Not sure who exactly marvin is and why he's so hungry..

we use 'blobbed' when something or some one doesnt turn up.
e.g mrs Smith blobbed ( never turned up for her appointment)

Oh no! We used to use that word for when your on your period haha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've literally JUST said this so had to post..'I'm starvin like marvin' my grandad and mum say this a lot that's probably where I picked it up! Not sure who exactly marvin is and why he's so hungry..

Ooh we say hank for hungry..as in hank marvin = starving!

Ha! I say that well...i just say i'm hank (hank marvin) lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I still don't get the money ie. cock and hen is ten (ok that rhymes) score (£20), pony, (£25) and monkey (£500)? And where do all the different names like cash, wonga, moolah, spondulah, etc come from?

Oh no! We used to use that word for when your on your period haha

hahaha me too !! x

I still don't get the money ie. cock and hen is ten (ok that rhymes) score (£20), pony, (£25) and monkey (£500)? And where do all the different names like cash, wonga, moolah, spondulah, etc come from?

people call money from were I am bangers ?? LOL

a customer said when I'd done her tan, better get you some bangers out & starting raiding her purse. So I said what? she said bangers as in money & looked at me confused that I didn't know what she meant... then I heard my brother say it too, I thought bangers were boobs but obviously it has another meaning too lmao x

people call money from were I am bangers ?? LOL

a customer said when I'd done her tan, better get you some bangers out & starting raiding her purse. So I said what? she said bangers as in money & looked at me confused that I didn't know what she meant... then I heard my brother say it too, I thought bangers were boobs but obviously it has another meaning too lmao x

Bangers are sausages lol

I call my change smash. Was funny when.i worked down in the borders - the other girls didnt have a clue what i was on about! Alien wegie speak lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Lol @ jessie not heard that for a while , we call a woodlouse a slater ?

Yes! I could not for the life of me remember what that wee beastie was called! Lol
Vicki :) xx

This is a fun thread! I'm from cumbria and in some areas if someone's going home they will say "am garn yam". We have the teacakes/baps discussion all the time. In cumbria teacakes are a bap or a roll. A marra is a mate. We often get mistaken for geordies though i don't think we sound the same. Xx

When I visited America, it puzzled all americans when I said "I feel shattered" (tired)
And "I'm going to the loo" (toilet)
Both commonly used I thought, but completly confused them lol

Latest posts

Back