to blow or not to blow?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about blowing on nails?

• Don't be silly, it's perfectly normal.

Votes: 31 6.1%
  • I will help you count the ways it is unsanitary, gag!!

Votes: 421 82.7%
  • Who cares.

Votes: 57 11.2%

• Total voters
avivajoy said:
I actually found it a bit offensive. Its the same as calling someone a retard. WHich in the wrong context is an insult. However, my son actually has a certificate say that he is a retard. I kid you not. But I digress.

I guess slang has different definitions depending where you are.
Spaz in Montreal means " exciteable" or 'hyper' or that you get 'freaked out' over something. It has nothing to do with someone's mental abilities.

An example would be.
My daughter acted like a spaz when I told her she couldn't have a lollypop.
(meaning, she was yelling and telling me I wasn't being fair)
OR
My friend acted like a spaz last night when she got hammered at the bar
(meaning, she was drunk and loud and very hyper).

And in montreal, fag does NOT refer to a cigarette. It's a VERY offensive word here. It's a racist term used in regards to male homosexuals and if you use it around here, you're likely to get your lights knocked out.

Just thought I'd add my 2cents:wink2:

very valid point Victoria... we all have to remember that this nail forum is now International and not as small a community as it used to be.

one term that makes me laugh is when someone from America uses the word 'fanny', meaning backside, in the UK that means the opposite of backside, more towards the front :wink2: :wink2:

ValencianNails said:
very valid point Victoria... we all have to remember that this nail forum is now International and not as small a community as it used to be.

one term that makes me laugh is when someone from America uses the word 'fanny', meaning backside, in the UK that means the opposite of backside, more towards the front :wink2: :wink2:
lol, sandi xx

I blew on my e-file educators hands......:o :o :o
I learned more than filing techniques that day, I can tell you...cringe...
I'm a fastidious brusher now, nice clean nylon bristles, much nicer! LQ(Laughing Quietly!)

Never blow.....oops didn't mean to lower the tone ! :smack:

FingerNailFixer said:
ok I am trying to find a nail tech in my town that could fix a nail for one of my clients should they need it when I am traveling and so to interview them I am getting a manicure and being up front about what I am doing. I got one this last friday and the tech blew on my nails constantly :eek: , getting dust off, drying enamel, etc. Now I am a bit of a germ phobe so I almost gagged and died envisioning all the little spit particles landing on my beloved nails! I left the appointment and washed my hands several times.

Now I repeated this story to a group of techs thinking they would sympathize and gag with me but they proceeded to say what a pain client I would be :evil:

So this leaves me to wonder is it expecting to much not to be continually spit on during a service as someone blows on my nails :cry: or do all nail techs save myself blow on their clients and I am just spastic? :rolleyes:

:lol: You're sooo funny!
Did you really go through your treatment allowing her to blow on you when you knew better. :lol: :hug:

:lol: had a good chuckle

For primer I fan (electic or get them to do it) for Dust I brush

But once apon a time when I was a wee nail tech nipper I'm sure I blew :lol:

All I can say if someone blew on my nails I'd have to leave - nails finished or not:irked:

I dont even blow on my own nails, but if someone else did it while i was getting mine done i would complain big time and ask them to stop doing it.

FingerNailFixer said:
ok I am trying to find a nail tech in my town that could fix a nail for one of my clients should they need it when I am traveling and so to interview them I am getting a manicure and being up front about what I am doing. I got one this last friday and the tech blew on my nails constantly :eek: , getting dust off, drying enamel, etc. Now I am a bit of a germ phobe so I almost gagged and died envisioning all the little spit particles landing on my beloved nails! I left the appointment and washed my hands several times.

Now I repeated this story to a group of techs thinking they would sympathize and gag with me but they proceeded to say what a pain client I would be :evil:

So this leaves me to wonder is it expecting to much not to be continually spit on during a service as someone blows on my nails :cry: or do all nail techs save myself blow on their clients and I am just spastic? :rolleyes:

that's bad, and i encounter clients who on occasion find the urge to blow on their nails.....when i tell them that the polish can become contaminated by blowing on it, they seemingly get offended--but they get over it because i am truthful and honest and they have no reason not to believe me.....but i got one that's far worse.......a lady i used to work with told me that she was at a salon where a lady smudged her nail and the chick used spit to fix the smudge!!! thank goodness it wasn't her nail, but that is just plain unsanitary....IMO proper training would not have allowed it....:irked:

I think blowing on the nails is just nasty. That's one of the first things my Instructor taught us NOT to do. That's also another reason I eat pie on my birthday...:lol:

my sister always told me it could give lines or damage the nails, the outside of the paint would dry quicker but the nail in general would be weaker if it was blown the paint could be dammaged easier, is this true?

When I was little - my mum would cut my hair (you know - the bowl cut thing) and she would always 'blow' my face; in fact I made her as the hairs would drive me nuts and the 'blowing' sort of cleared everything away!! I had the most horrendous habit of 'blowing' dust off my clients nails (when I was doing them) and really had to MAKE myself stop - but yes - even now, I blow on myself - it's just gotta be done!! :o

Did everyones mum use spit to stick down that bit of flyaway hair or get that bit of dirt/food off your face also? Gawd it used to gross me out.

For nails a firm bristled brush for me, the NSI one is fab.

No way it is disgusting to even think about it, I don't even blow on my own I have a lovely Plush Brush to get rid of the dust.

Joan

Did everyones mum use spit to stick down that bit of flyaway hair or get that bit of dirt/food off your face also? Gawd it used to gross me out.

Oh geeze I do this to myself all the time and still spit on my kids when they visit!:o LOL

I am trying really hard to get out of the habbit of blowing and I have a lvely big dusting brush which has been helping until my daughter stuck it in a cold cup of tea!!!

I am hoping it will make a full recovery.

OOOoo NO to blowing, always use big brush that was the way i was trained and thankfully it has stuck with me, but yes i do blow my own, im only giving myself my own germs arnt i ? :hug:

I wipe it off with a little dust brush. Its amazing how many of my clients wave their hands around and blow on their nails themselves.

I look at them as if to say "What are you doing"

I never really thought about the birthday cake scenario, its similar to my nan spitting on a hanky then wiping my face when i was little.

Yuk!, Yuk! and double Yuk!:irked:

Teri x

OMG Yes and it drove me nuts. I swore I would never do it to my daughter but I guess it's a mom thing I do it all the time and it drive her nuts.

My nan always spat on her hanky and then wiped my face, :eek: thing is she would only change her hanky DAILY which meant there was alot of nasal germs and spit on that hanky. Something i have not continued to do thankfully! and am still trying to come to terms with.

Teri x

Latest posts

Back