To drill or not to drill........?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyhh

Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me?? After 10 years in nails im thinking of using a drill! I use CND acrylic and 90% of my day is rebalancing and my wrists hurt! :cry: I really don't know much about drills, are they really that damaging? Or is it just misuse of them? Where is the best place to get one, and who offers good training? Oh and those of you who already use one, how long does it take to rebalance??

Any help/advice will be much appreciated xx

Young nails do good training with e files. I always use my e file wouldnt be without it.

im suprised you would need one if using CND products :) they buff like butter and are so easy to rebalance ! do you think that you are applying your product to thick or maybe taking too much away and causing to much work for youself ??? just a thought maybe you could save yourself a bit of money :) try and get nail class by Gigi Rouse if you dont have it you can cut your times so much HTH :hug:

Hi,
I bought my e file at NSI, they do discounted training if you buy through them, if not you just pay full training fee.
But I don't use it much, but as you say you are doing a lot of rebalancing. So good on you repeat customers.:lol:
I hope that will be me in a few weeks.:lol:
I only use mine to de bulk. I have a weakness in my wrist from a very bad broken bone a few years ago, a few rebalances and I can be in agony.
So mine is there for when I need it, don't use it on every rebalance, because I have only been part time and not very busy yet.
Good luck with your choice.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: :hug: x x x

Well, I would never believe I would say this... I bought an e-file when I did training in Chicago, in April. My educator there taught me how to use the e-file. I didn't use it in the beginning, but now? I don't understand how I manage my days without it! I only use it to de-bulk. Even my clients tells me they like the e-file better than hand-filing! I don't think I save that much time, as I was really quick with my hand-filing, but it really save my shoulders and wrists.

Good luck!

Trained with NSI a few years ago, they sell Kupa files which are good quality, a colleague uses uses the Erica efile supplied by Young Nails which I also like.

Currently I only use it to cut a new smile line (Nailzoo has videos showing this technique I think), using the efile during this part of the rebalance takes me approx 10-15 seconds per nail, something I could never achieve (time wise) with a hand file. Have to say I take my hat off to the techs out there that can achieve this by hand in that time! For me it means that I can do a rebalance in approx 1 hour - sometimes longer with the heavy handers who come in & their nails require a little more tlc to get them right.

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me?? After 10 years in nails im thinking of using a drill! I use CND acrylic and 90% of my day is rebalancing and my wrists hurt! :cry: I really don't know much about drills, are they really that damaging? Or is it just misuse of them? Where is the best place to get one, and who offers good training? Oh and those of you who already use one, how long does it take to rebalance??

I can understand why you feel this way but i if I whipped out an e-file during my treatments my clients would freak out.

Think of your posture and positioning before you buy an e-file, and get yourself sorted that way before you purchase an e-file, it may help. I personally could not cope with one nor do I have to, thanks to my product.
:)

Electric files are fine if they're used properly. Trouble is that a lot of people associate electric files with NSS.

The majority of clients that come to me know nothing about NSS or MMA, but they know the pain and damage received from these bad salons using e files.

I actually get many customers coming to me because I shout the fact that I don't use them, even though I'd like to.

jes

Hello,

Electric files are NOT damaging, providing you take the training with a reputable company and use it the way you are trained and yes you are right that its the misuse of them by the technician that will cause the damage not the file itself.
IMO it doesnt matter what product brand you use for your L&p/gels, it is personal choice as to weather you use an electric file or not and if you feel that its better for you, i cant see why you shouldnt at least look into it and then purchase one if you think its the right choice for you.
I did my training with Georgie Smedley and it was great , i only use my electric file when i feel i need to , i find it very useful for taking down alot of length and for "de bulking" when doing a colour change ( alot of my clients have coloured glitters and like to change the colour regularly)

Young nails and NSI both sell Electric files and offer the training, i would contact either of these companies and ask them to send you some info on the different types available and costs etc .

haze x

Thanks for all your help. I think ill give nsi and young nails a call for info. Its a big step for me as i have always been anti drills. Its not really for time as i only book out 1hr15min for a rebalance, more for my wrists i see an average of 8 clients a day by the end of the day they are very painful. The majority of my clients have been coming to me for years and trust me, i know i wouldn't use it on everyone. Just thought be nice to have a little extra help there if i need it.

Thankyou x

NO NO NO NO NO do not use a drill! If your using CND products and are applying your l&p correctly then you shouldn't need a drill! xxx :)

Do not discount the efile (not drill!) if you think it will make your working day more efficient (time keeping & money making!) & comfortable. Its not for everyone but if you are a busy tech with an average of 8 clients a day every day then it may help you speed up your service. As I said before I only use mine for cutting the smile, for me it saves oodles of time & wrist action, still use the good old hand file for everying else! Correct product application whatever brand is obviously a must but after 8 years in the industry personally I cannot match the time it takes to cut a new smile line by hand (maybe 2 min per nail) with what I can achieve with an efile (10-15 seconds per nail) but maybe thats just me bing slow? . I see 7 clients a day, 4 days a week, on average of which 30% are rebalances. So over a working week thats a decent amount of time saved (+ more clients fitted in!)

Efiles can be daunting at first but once you have gained good training with one, become confident in its use they are a wizzz! (pardon the pun!)

i do not use an e-file myself but i do not see nothing wrong with other techs that want to use them. As long as it is a decent machine and the tech is trained i dont see the problem.....surely it is a personal preference.....whatever products you use. If they help you then use them and if they dont then dont use them. It was not that long ago that i was told that CND were possibly going to be bringing out their own e-file in the future. how true this is i dont know but again i dont see there being a problem with itif they did. When i first started out i was dead against them and thought they were a big NO NO to be used by a good tech, my opinion has since changed as i have been educated about their safe usage and how they can actually be helpful to a tech..... so if you use one does that make you a bad nail technician...i personally dont think so.

I got one because I have spinal injuries and noticed that once I got regular clients and was doing more rebalance work that by the end of the day it hurt to breath. I NEVER use it on natural nails, nor do I use it to cut in smile lines just to de bulk and to clean out under the free edge.
My training was with NSI and along with the training I was also shown that by raising my chair a little I changed my posture and lost a lot of little pains that I hadn't realised I had due to the greater pain in my back taking over.
As my trainer pointed out, with out good posture while you work the e-file wont make much difference to how you feel at the end of the day:hug:

There is no harm in learning to use a drill correctly and if you want to try it and see if it helps you then do.

I have had training to use a drill by one of the best in the USA and the KUPA drill has the best reputation of any. It is by far the most used in the USA and not without good reason.

I do not and never have used one for doing nail services. I'm actually quicker without it and I have found that my clients recoiled from even the sight of it never mind when it was switched on.

I find them messy in the extreme and no quicker for me at all, but having said that .. that is ME and you need to try these things for yourself.

I think it is strange that people who have never tried an e-file can tell how much they hate it!

Another thing... Please don't tell the clients about DRILLS! We are using E-FILES! Although it *IS* pretty much the same, I find the term "e-file" more professional.

I think it is strange that people who have never tried an e-file can tell how much they hate it!

Another thing... Please don't tell the clients about DRILLS! We are using E-FILES! Although it *IS* pretty much the same, I find the term "e-file" more professional.

They have been known as nail drills for years and years, and calling them e-files may sound pretty but when the clients see them they think ---DRILLS. You can dress it up in pretty words but dentists don't call them 'tooth files' they call them dental drills and that is what they are. If we have to hide from that fact then maybe we shouldn't be using them.

You may be a recent convert to using a drill, Cec ... I had plenty of practise with mine on clients and I went back to how I do nails best ... by hand. The mess with drills is horrible and I hardly make any mess when using hand files .. PLUS ... it was not quicker at all for me to use a nail drill. For some it may be quicker or fulfill a need an I say for them .. go for it if that is what they want to do. I am not dissing using nail drills, but neither am I saying .... everyone go out and get one either ... I don't think they are a necessary item of equipment for everyone.

Each to their own terms! :)

As I said, using the e-file has not made me quicker but it really saves my shoulders and wrists for taking down the length and de-bulking. I still hand-file a lot. :) I don't say everybody should buy one either, I just say it's wrong to tell how much they hate it without trying it.

As long as you are filing not drilling! Get use to calling it an E-file. it can speed thing up, as long as you have a system just as if you would hand file. Some like it some don't.

Take a Class. practice on yourself. Can't hurt to try you never know you could be a natural at it. These two pieces of equipment are used completely different.

E-file - small fits in hand

Drill- big bulky and big difference.
This is a drill not for use on finger nails!

Last edited:

The photos in the post above this one illustrate perfectly the huge difference between efiles (which file off product from the surface of an enhancement) & a drill (which is a tool used to bore holes in stuff!)

I guess that is why dentists also call their tool a drill as they drill holes in the rotten bits of teeth to enable them to fill the cavities with fillings!

Huge difference IMHO.

Latest posts

Back